Drinking alcohol before session

kingaddictx

TAG Member
Reaction score
So after checking a few of the group sites, i noticed alot of them specify that "drunk persons will be denied service". This makes sense for a number of obvious reasons.

Now I'm not saying one should show up to a session shitfaced, but this is Japan we are talking about. It is so common to run into wasted salaryman on the street/train, I wonder how strict this rule is. As we gaijin are clearly not the core of these business customer base, I feel like a drunk salaryman walking into a place has to be a regular occurrence. Of course drunk gaijin would be viewed differently.

My questions are:

1) how strict are these place with this rule i.e. what defines drunk?

Like if i stop at an izakaya have some yakitori and 2 kirin on my way to a shop/hotel, am I going to be denied entry/service? or would i need to be so wasted I can't walk or talk for them to say no-go. Is just having a little liquor on my breath enough (say i shot after dinner)?

2) Have any of you entered or tried to enter a shop or had a hotel session while buzzed or drunk? Accepetd or rejected? If accepted do you think they noticed? How did they react?

This is more out of curiosity.

For those wondering, I'm asking because if I go on a company 飲み会 or just have a few brews with dinner and want to play afterward what the sitiuation whould be. rather not mistakenly burn a bridge lol.

I think if your legs are wobbly, your eyes are bloodshot, your speech is slurry you won't get in. Even hostess clubs don't accept such people because it will be more of a burden than gain. They want their customers to make a conscious decision to spend money.
For soaplands etc. they would be worried about girls safety and whether or not you'll stick to safety precautions. I don't think you'll be able to enter any high end places. The high end clubs I've worked for turned down drunk and loud people. They don't spend and just cause trouble.

Honestly it's about how you manage to drink. And maybe your body weight. Non Japanese men can drink 2-3 beers and remain more or less intact. If you know your body and you're not delusional probably no one will tell if it's a couple of beers. I personally get drunk like a salaryman so I avoid more than a glass in meetings :) If it's a 2-3-4 hour meeting after 7pm I'll have some wine but i won't cross the limits. (Unless people have a red faced maguro fantasy) I will definitely cancel on sight if someone is drunk.

Last edited:
Ithink it depends a lot on the service being offered. If it's just a HJ and the customer is too drunk to get/keep it up the SP ends up stroking a wet noodle until time is up. If she is expected to provide FS it can be a lot of work trying to get/keep him hard enough long enough to get things started.

I have gone into a number of shops when I was buzzed and haven't been refused - but I would never go in if I was in no shape to complete whatever I was paying for.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
1) how strict are these place with this rule i.e. what defines drunk?

If you are visibly under the influence, you'll likely be denied. If you've got bloodshot or watery eyes, a flushed face or drooping eyelids, slurred or overly loud speech, are unsteady on your feet, or excessively sweating, you're probably going to get the heave-ho.

2) Have any of you entered or tried to enter a shop or had a hotel session while buzzed or drunk? Accepetd or rejected? If accepted do you think they noticed? How did they react?

I've gone to plenty of places after a couple of doubles over dinner with no issues.

The term used on most sites when they’re saying “drunk” customers aren’t allowed is

泥酔された方

This translates closer to “dead drunk” than just 酔っ払っている, which would be the more vanilla form of drunk.

In my experience quite a few Japanese punters will regularly tie a few on before a session but, as everyone else has mentioned, you want to keep your wits about you.

I’ve had sessions after a few beers and had no issues at all. Sometimes if I get into the LH a bit early I might even pick one up to drink while waiting. I don’t think the situation you outlined (couple of beers with dinner) would be anything out of the ordinary.

Chinese 'massage' places target drunk salarymen so they can fleece them for more than non-drunk customers. Nobody is too drunk to get serviced by the Chinese.
Particularly the Chinese places that will not offer HE. They will get some drunk guy laid out and massage him a couple minutes until he falls asleep, then walk away and come back to wake him up with a little massage just before time is up. Basically he is paying 5k Yen to take a nap.