Drinking at Work

Lukes

TAG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else do this or is it just me?

I don't know about you but nothing helps me get reports done like whisky and music.

Reactions: Desktop
Excellent post.
I relish a glass or two of Bordeaux for lunch, which typically makes me more productive at work in the afternoon through the early evening.
A few sips of Kentucky’s finest bourbon after lunch help ease the load whenever I need to get work done on the weekends at home, or when traveling.
Yes, music helps so much. I can’t wear my heavy-duty headset or even my AirPods in the office, but these devices are essential at home and on the road.
I function best with several favourites in my rotation, including old-school R&B, Aretha Franklin, Prince, Mick and the Stones, The Band, Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall, Norah Jones’ first album, Tupac and Kanye’s first few albums.

Excellent post.
I relish a glass or two of Bordeaux for lunch, which typically makes me more productive at work in the afternoon through the early evening.
A few sips of Kentucky’s finest bourbon after lunch help ease the load whenever I need to get work done on the weekends at home, or when traveling.
Yes, music helps so much. I can’t wear my heavy-duty headset or even my AirPods in the office, but these devices are essential at home and on the road.
I function best with several favourites in my rotation, including old-school R&B, Aretha Franklin, Prince, Mick and the Stones, The Band, Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall, Norah Jones’ first album, Tupac and Kanye’s first few albums.

Wine at lunch is always helpful to productivity, I find. Ditto the music of Kanye West (the complete collection).
aac22f71de1155d667cb4db241410b61.jpg

Excellent post.

A nice glass of wine or two with a good lunch is a great way to relax and re-energize. It took years for me to discover that I could mix alcohol and work. When things get crazy at the office, I sometimes head over to the restaurant/bar down the street at lunchtime or in the afternoon for a quick drink. It's a scandalous place because Wednesdays and Fridays are bikini days over there. But I'm sort of a known troublemaker where I work.

After reading a funny article on the subject though, I started dabbling a bit in drinking IN the office. I realize that's not a terribly great idea in a lot of cases but I said screw it, I'm doing it. And then I found it enjoyable. I keep a flask in the trunk of my car, with all the other important stuff. Priorities right?

That's too bad you can't have your music at work. I work soo much better with some tunes. Some very nice choices in your rotation. I'm going through a blues phase right now but classic rock, R&B and yes Kanye I still enjoy.

My industry has some of the heaviest drinkers that I've ever seen but nobody drinks at lunch or in the office. We have an image to uphold... but that goes out the window at our own parties. We've already had two major year-end parties that were 'off the hook' as the young people say these days. :) (That goes back to the email from HR that people should keep their clothes on at our parties...)

(That goes back to the email from HR that people should keep their clothes on at our parties...)

Normally I would agree that all HR people need to keep their clothes on at all times. :p

In my line of business drinking with customers and partners at night is a norm but I would never drink at the office nor even at lunch.

Our company rules specifically state that consuming alcohol during business hours is forbidden, and is a firing offense.

But my previous employer, we actually had a wet bar. I love working with Australians.

My industry has some of the heaviest drinkers that I've ever seen but nobody drinks at lunch or in the office. We have an image to uphold... but that goes out the window at our own parties. We've already had two major year-end parties that were 'off the hook' as the young people say these days. :) (That goes back to the email from HR that people should keep their clothes on at our parties...)

As a younger man I used to attend some crazy work parties. Seeing the managers cut loose was interesting. And everyone would get really handsy. No one took their clothes off though. Wish some of the ladies would have. :D

Normally I would agree that all HR people need to keep their clothes on at all times. :p

In my line of business drinking with customers and partners at night is a norm but I would never drink at the office nor even at lunch.

I didn't always drink at work (I was pretty straight edge about regulations) but after all the B.S. that happened over the years I got fed up and threw all that out the window. It's not who I am, it's who I became lol. Or at least that's the story I'm sticking to. :ROFLMAO:

I got fed up and threw all that out the window. It's not who I am, it's who I became lol. Or at least that's the story I'm sticking to. :ROFLMAO:

I guess it's all OK unless you throw up out from the window. :eek:

When I was watching ‘mad men’ , I became envious of those guys in the 60’s who had their mini bar in their office, and drank while smoking cigarettes....forgot starbucks, let’s get work over a couple of gin and tonics or scotch on the rocks ....

When I was watching ‘mad men’ , I became envious of those guys in the 60’s who had their mini bar in their office, and drank while smoking cigarettes....forgot starbucks, let’s get work over a couple of gin and tonics or scotch on the rocks ....
I wasn't around for the 60s but I sometimes lament that this isn't still a thing. Mad men makes it look really tempting.

I'll occasionally have a beer at lunch or in the afternoon on occasion. Our monthly team meetings usually include drinking too. Most of the medium to large startups in the Bay Area have a beer fridge at the very least if not a keg or two. Of course most of the folks working there never leave the office.

I'll occasionally have a beer at lunch or in the afternoon on occasion. Our monthly team meetings usually include drinking too. Most of the medium to large startups in the Bay Area have a beer fridge at the very least if not a keg or two. Of course most of the folks working there never leave the office.
Yeah, I know those startup and tech guys pretty much live at work so I understand the beer part. It would be so cool to have a keg at work though.

Nope I don't do it.
Dumb idea anyway around some serious machinery (think Oberyn vs the Mountain) and other dangerous chemicals.
Luckily the biggest risk for me is a paper cut or maybe falling out of my chair. :D

F637E767-D730-48BE-A3D5-5E59283B3FFF.jpeg
Sad, but true. What used to be casual Friday at the office has increasingly become casual everyday.

In the movies, at least, we can appreciate how a smartly dressed man can enjoy a pint of Guinness at a local pub and then righteously kick ass to make a point.

Reactions: Lukes
Hell yeah that looks cool! Love the suits. That's another thing most people don't appreciate much these days - dressing up to go to work.
View attachment 6198 Sad, but true. What used to be casual Friday at the office has increasingly become casual everyday.

In the movies, at least, we can appreciate how a smartly dressed man can enjoy a pint of Guinness at a local pub and then righteously kick ass to make a point.
Well, at least the Japanese are usually not into casual work wear.
For my own eyecandy, i hope that trend never catches on here.

And while there are many guys in very generic, a bit too wide suits, there are some shapely taylored men out there.

Reactions: Lukes and Majestyk
Sad, but true. What used to be casual Friday at the office has increasingly become casual everyday.
Yeah, I've noticed this... I'm surprised to see how overly casual some offices have become. Even in Japan... granted, this is mostly at mixed companies compared to standard Japanese corps. Most people I deal with are in a suit and tie year round.

Yeah, I've noticed this... I'm surprised to see how overly casual some offices have become. Even in Japan... granted, this is mostly at mixed companies compared to standard Japanese corps. Most people I deal with are in a suit and tie year round.

Japan actually kinda killed the magic of a man in a suit for me :oops: at first when I came here, I was in heaven but after a while, noticing that most suits aren’t that nice tailored, it became boring.... it’s like seeing a bunch of penguins walking around.
I DO enjoy to see nice tailored suits tho. But they seem rare in japan.

Japan actually kinda killed the magic of a man in a suit for me :oops: at first when I came here, I was in heaven but after a while, noticing that most suits aren’t that nice tailored, it became boring.... it’s like seeing a bunch of penguins walking around.
I DO enjoy to see nice tailored suits tho. But they seem rare in japan.
Mmm... true. You're very much on point. Most guys go for the cheap stuff, like 20-30,000 yen a suit from some generic suit place. I do work with people that only get tailored suits, it does make a difference.

Admittedly, I take the cheap route because I don't particularly enjoy wearing suits. :dead: I just try not to be sloppy about it though...

Most guys go for the cheap stuff, like 20-30,000 yen a suit from some generic suit place.

But then also most guys who need to wear suits are making just 250.000 yen per month so it's understandable.

If you don't enjoy wearing suits then you definitely should go for the more expensive ones; when the materials are better and the suit sits nicely it is much more comfortable.

American companies are going nuts on all these new casual trends. Even the "business" in business casual dress is barely there these days. Wearing the suit helps make a man out of these youngsters. They should bring it back into style over here.

I know in Japan it's pretty much the norm to wear a suit but jeez it's like everyone got the same one. And no one wears anything other than a white shirt. The last time I came for business I wore my best suit but with a blue shirt. Stuck out like a sore thumb, lol.