Dude, You're trying too hard...

this would be an interesting global economic metric worthy of the last page in the Economist. how many hours does an English teacher need to work to fuck a local prostitute in various markets around the world? Tokyo: 4 hours. Bangkok:?
... 20mn? :D

(But define "local". I suppose that in Tokyo it doesnt include the TAG-members-with-a-péripatetician-job ?)

Speaking of, I'm moving there soon and will have my day off in the middle of the week more or less. Thinking of making some extra cash doing lessons, any idea on a good rate? I searched but all I found was a reddit thread where angry people swear that if you're not charging at least 5k an hour you're a hopeless fool. I'm looking to pad my income not live off it so I doubt I need to charge that much, but how much is too low and it looks suspicious?
About 4k is the sweet spot. If you say 3 or lower people wont take you seriously. 5 or higher they’ll be expecting a highly experienced actual teacher.
As long as you are reasonably presentable, do some lesson prep and have passable social skills you’ll get some students happy to keep paying at that level.

About 4k is the sweet spot. If you say 3 or lower people wont take you seriously. 5 or higher they’ll be expecting a highly experienced actual teacher.
As long as you are reasonably presentable, do some lesson prep and have passable social skills you’ll get some students happy to keep paying at that level.

Hmm, 3500 sounds like a good middle ground then to start with. Thanks guys.

I guess those guys spk mostly, and not let students spk, only making them reactions that they don't get much out of English lesson. I call it fraud English lessons. lol.

It's annoying, when you come accross, you hear loudly, at the cafe. I never heard someone taking French lessons, though. That'd be my intention, sometime soon! :)

... 20mn? :D

(But define "local". I suppose that in Tokyo it doesnt include the TAG-members-with-a-péripatetician-job ?)
I hadn't thought about it seriously. I have no idea how much your average Joe Blow English teacher in Bangkok makes. It can't be much. I was keying off of something interesting I read a while back: In the US, an employee at Burger King needs to work for over an hour to afford a Whopper. At a Burger King in Denmark, a worker only needs to work for about 30 minutes to buy a Whopper. Yet the Danish BK is somehow more profitable, the quality and service is better and the workers are more satisfied and have overall higher purchasing power in their local economies than their US counterparts.

Reactions: LKjdklfje64j
I went to a anime con in the states recently and caught a conversation with a guy and an artist at her booth.
He was trying to converse with her about some Japanese game series (Tales or Final Fantasy, don't remember) but also saying that he skipped like a bulk of the releases.
Then I see her cute face nod at him, look towards my group of peers and her face has that aura of "please save me".

Ah...merika.

Am I allowed to humblebrag? Well, it's not even humble. It's just bragging.

Once in a while I go to some international parties and it's always hilarious when some white guy that screams desperation is trying - but failing horribly - to pick up a jgirl. One particular time comes to mind...

[some boring conversation in English]
white guy: "Oh yeah? Asakusa? I've never been there!"
jgirl: "Oh, itto isu naisu! Yuu shuuddo gou!"
white guy: "Yeah? What are you doing tomorrow?"
jgirl: "Oohhhh, tuumarro...ahh, sorrii I am bizi." [conversation fades and she walks away]

Later on during the event I end up talking to this girl and everything is cheery...well it is a party. And I am really drunk. At the end of the event everyone is saying bye, figuring out which station they have to get to. It is raining so everyone takes out their umbrella. This girl asks where I'm going and I'm like "〇〇駅。近いよねー", and she mentions she's 途中 and she starts to guide me there...while folding her umbrella back in her purse and scooting in under mine. Niiiice. The hilarious part was "on the way home" we run into the guy trying to mack on her and I just kinda smirked at him out of sheer reflex, like the shitty asshole I am.

Sorry man.

Later on during the event I end up talking to this girl and everything is cheery...well it is a party. And I am really drunk. At the end of the event everyone is saying bye, figuring out which station they have to get to. It is raining so everyone takes out their umbrella. This girl asks where I'm going and I'm like "〇〇駅。近いよねー", and she mentions she's 途中 and she starts to guide me there...while folding her umbrella back in her purse and scooting in under mine. Niiiice. The hilarious part was "on the way home" we run into the guy trying to mack on her and I just kinda smirked at him out of sheer reflex, like the shitty asshole I am.
lol.... nice.

The only story I have that's even close to this is where I had taken a girl out, she's at least a 8/10 or a 10/10 for someone who doesn't know any better.
I left her at the bar while I took a business call outside and I could see in through the window. In that short period of time, some dorky looking dude had slid over to her and was clearly trying to talk to her. She was being polite and I later heard that she was trying to explain that she was there with someone already and wasn't interested. She told me that he said I looked like a loser* and he could treat her better...

When I came back in and sat down, she didn't know that I saw what was happening, but she grasped on arm and pulled me close and gave me a light kiss knowing that the other dude was watching. I caught his glancing look with daggers in his eyes. sorry dude, try again! :)

*Keep in mind, most people that don't know me think I'm old, fat, bald, smelly and actually a loser. :D

Am I allowed to humblebrag? Well, it's not even humble. It's just bragging.

Once in a while I go to some international parties and it's always hilarious when some white guy that screams desperation is trying - but failing horribly - to pick up a jgirl. One particular time comes to mind...

[some boring conversation in English]
white guy: "Oh yeah? Asakusa? I've never been there!"
jgirl: "Oh, itto isu naisu! Yuu shuuddo gou!"
white guy: "Yeah? What are you doing tomorrow?"
jgirl: "Oohhhh, tuumarro...ahh, sorrii I am bizi." [conversation fades and she walks away]

Sorry man.
To the victor belong the spoils!

Reactions: Unhurried Harry
It's actually a really good way to meet girls... When you can see they are very uncomfortable and the dude is relentless in his pursuit (or just daft at getting her "non interested" hint...
Just go up and say... I'm sooooo sorry for being late, can you forgive me ? gently take her arm and pull her away.... Then say... you looked like you needed a reason to leave the person hitting you, and say, if you want to stay and chat that's great or if you want to leave that's good too... 9 times out of 10 they will stay and chat with you... get a drink and you have them for longer... if she is the playful type tell her to kiss you so the guy that keeps looking over gets the message... but you have to tell her that she must lean over to give the kiss...and you say it has to be on the lips otherwise if on cheek it's just a "friend" kiss and he will still be trying to pull her later :D you definitely get her contact details for being the "prince that saved her" plus it makes a good story for her friends to tell.... Or so I read it does :rolleyes:

It's actually a really good way to meet girls... When you can see they are very uncomfortable and the dude is relentless in his pursuit (or just daft at getting her "non interested" hint...
Just go up and say... I'm sooooo sorry for being late, can you forgive me ? gently take her arm and pull her away.... Then say... you looked like you needed a reason to leave the person hitting you, and say, if you want to stay and chat that's great or if you want to leave that's good too... 9 times out of 10 they will stay and chat with you... get a drink and you have them for longer... if she is the playful type tell her to kiss you so the guy that keeps looking over gets the message... but you have to tell her that she must lean over to give the kiss...and you say it has to be on the lips otherwise if on cheek it's just a "friend" kiss and he will still be trying to pull her later :D you definitely get her contact details for being the "prince that saved her" plus it makes a good story for her friends to tell.... Or so I read it does :rolleyes:

Aaaaargl , the last words ruined my expectations that you tried this for real !
Honestly not sure it would work with a Japanese lady though. Could make her even more embarassed. Unless there are threats of physical violence etc.. then yeah maybe she would like a knight in shining armor

Unless there are threats of physical violence etc.. then yeah maybe she would like a knight in shining armor

My thoughts exactly. You don't get involved when a guy is trying his best. Better to wait for him to crash and burn and then collect the spoils of war like @LKjdklfje64j did.

Reactions: Frenchy
I'm actually having a hard time, finding a French language exchange partner, or a French teacher. What's the best way to find the right one?
I want to get out comfy zone from using my University days learnt French at the office from time to time. My non Japanese spoken boss likes hearing it but when not correctly said, he goes like, "what?" with lots of ????? in his face.

I got to be careful, French guys are so flirtatious...They mostly like me, they like what they see...lol. So..

You can always do skype language exchange... That way u get to practice and flirt but in a safe environment.... :D

I don't use Skype, unfortunately. I had a trouble there that I stopped using it.
But, for those arrangement, no touching promissed, I guess!!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland