Guest viewing is limited

Even After X amount of years in Japan I'll never get used to____

they were tripping over themselves to respond in broken English.

I think there are two options to handle this. First is to be nice and think they are trying to make you a favour and trying to be helpful. When I manage this I just answer back in a very basic English and thank them.

The second option is to go "あ~、すいません、英語全く出来ません。ヘブライ語か日本語でお願いします". Just remember to pick the other language so that if they suddenly start to talk with it you are still able to follow. :D

I think there are two options to handle this. First is to be nice and think they are trying to make you a favour and trying to be helpful. When I manage this I just answer back in a very basic English and thank them.

The second option is to go "あ~、すいません、英語全く出来ません。ヘブライ語か日本語でお願いします". Just remember to pick the other language so that if they suddenly start to talk with it you are still able to follow. :D

I don’t think much of it if they start out speaking English because they assume I’m a tourist, but in situations like the above where I am responding in perfect Japanese, I find it quite offensive. You’ve given me a good idea though. Next time this happens, I’m going to pretend I’m Ukrainian and don’t speak English. Just to see how their brains implode...

Because, bad luck, this is a love-hotel owned by the Mossad
Well, some people do claim that the Jews run everything...

I find it quite offensive.

This is in the perfect thread now; as we all know the Japanese general public will not change their ways in the next several decades. The only thing that has changed since late 80's is they now try to speak English but still don't recognise you are speaking Japanese.

So you have two options; continue to be offended and ruin your day every time or just let it go, become one with the universe, burst into a song and dance and go on with you day. In other words; get used to it. :D

Reactions: Ken1988
Situation at a love hotel:

Staff: ただ今満室何ですが、十分ぐらいお待ち頂ければご案内できます…
Me: はい。じゃあ、待ちます。お願いします。
Staff: Uhh, umm, ten minutes!! Pureezu wait ten minutes!!
Me: …はい、わかりました。

And the same thing happened when we went up to the counter to pay. I was answering in full Japanese sentences (and I don’t have much of an accent either) and they were tripping over themselves to respond in broken English. Wtf? I started to get pretty annoyed
There are people in my company whom I have worked with for over 15 years. They know full well that I speak Japanese fluently. I speak with them almost everyday. Yet they still start every verbal engagement with me by looking at my gaijin face, hesitating for a second and then speaking in Japanese. They are not dumb people. But they just cannot get it through their thick skulls that, yes, even though I am a gaijin, I can in fact speak Japanese. I dont know what is at the root of this; I bet TJB would call it a microaggression, but it used to really bug the shit out of me. It still bugs the shit out of me, but it used to too.

Reactions: Juliet and SoapFTW
Quite frankly, I'm fine not speaking Japanese at a native-fluency level because it actually makes some things a lot easier.
I speak it enough to work and survive in this country and I don't have such a burning desire to be a kanji-geek (no offense to anyone).

I face the "white face must speak English only" types every now and then, but I'll still throw Japanese back in their faces to a point of almost being rude about it.

Anyway, it's just not worth getting irritated over - I'll only get angry if I'm being refused a service that should otherwise be freely available.

But they just cannot get it through their thick skulls that, yes, even though I am a gaijin, I can in fact speak Japanese.

Looking at the European countries I would guess it takes about two generations of native speakers that look different to fix this. So about 40 years, and mind you it needs to be native speakers, so people who have been born and raised in that country. That means your porky face don't count but your kids' do. So we are still at least 20 years of that changing.

Then the average Joe has realised everyone can speak his language regardless how they look. And then those countries become really annoying for all tourists as how much you try to speak in English they just answer in their own language.

Reactions: Juliet

And the same thing happened when we went up to the counter to pay. I was answering in full Japanese sentences (and I don’t have much of an accent either) and they were tripping over themselves to respond in broken English. Wtf? I started to get pretty annoyed

I think you can speak Japanese like a native and that's why you are annoyed and feel offended. Probably they understood what you said perfectly, but they couldn't help but putting themselves into your shoes - speaking a foreign language. It's their show of respect to your achievement. You can compliment them by saying わあ、英語上手ですね。

Reactions: Juliet and Durg50

It took me about 15 years to just let this wash over me and not be pissed off by it. Sometimes still irritates me if Im in a rush to get something done.

You can compliment them by saying わあ、英語上手ですね。
Wow. Never thought about that before, that just blew my mind... considering how many times I've heard that (aimed at me for Japanese).
At least I don't get the stupid one about 箸 (hashi/chopsticks) anymore.

Reactions: Juliet
It took me about 15 years to just let this wash over me and not be pissed off by it. Sometimes still irritates me if Im in a rush to get something done.

You do know that they do that intentionally to be twats right?

I can never get used to how the "individuality" of Japanese people is mediocre at best.

Yes, many Japanese people dress very differently and have different hobbies, but everywhere I go I can overhear different Japanese people in cities across the country all having the same exact fucking conversation.

I also noticed a general retarded social ostricizing of any individual that is truly unique and genius. The nail that sticks out gets hammered in the land of group think mediocrity.

There are people in my company whom I have worked with for over 15 years. They know full well that I speak Japanese fluently. I speak with them almost everyday. Yet they still start every verbal engagement with me by looking at my gaijin face, hesitating for a second and then speaking in Japanese. They are not dumb people. But they just cannot get it through their thick skulls that, yes, even though I am a gaijin, I can in fact speak Japanese. I dont know what is at the root of this; I bet TJB would call it a microaggression, but it used to really bug the shit out of me. It still bugs the shit out of me, but it used to too.

Because it is a micro-aggression. They don't like you pig. They consider you outside the circle. You are in your own circle...a pig pen.

Reactions: warubuta
Quite frankly, I'm fine not speaking Japanese at a native-fluency level because it actually makes some things a lot easier.
I can never get used to how the "individuality" of Japanese people is mediocre at best.

Yes, many Japanese people dress very differently and have different hobbies, but everywhere I go I can overhear different Japanese people in cities across the country all having the same exact fucking conversation.

I also noticed a general retarded social ostricizing of any individual that is truly unique and genius. The nail that sticks out gets hammered in the land of group think mediocrity.
Yea but whatabout the guy who spit on your arms? Or the guy who put semen on your bicycle seat? They were individualistic geniuses, weren't they?

You do know that they do that intentionally to be twats right?
You’re still as sensitive as a virgin’s clit, eh?

if they want to be a twat, most Japanese will just say, “言い方が変。“

You’re still as sensitive as a virgin’s clit, eh?

if they want to be a twat, most Japanese will just say, “言い方が変。“

You always try to act like Mr. Know-it-all don't you?

Well, for your information I am not sensitive. I just have a low tolerance for bullshit and annoying people.

If I speak clearly understandable Japanese and some cunt replies in English, then I stop giving my order and ask for another staff member that can speak Japanese. Yes, I say that to Japanese people so they realize how stupid they are acting.

Yea but whatabout the guy who spit on your arms? Or the guy who put semen on your bicycle seat? They were individualistic geniuses, weren't they?

Well, of course from your limited pig brain, these are works of genius.

I will share a real example then. I have a friend that is a artistic genius. He has a real skill for sketching and he creates his own manga series. Yet, every time we are hanging out, he tells me how people are always criticizing him. They say he is strange and he is a stupid otaku, etc.

I hope he is successful one day, so all these shitty people wind up with egg on their face.

You always try to act like Mr. Know-it-all don't you?

Well, for your information I am not sensitive. I just have a low tolerance for bullshit and annoying people.

If I speak clearly understandable Japanese and some cunt replies in English, then I stop giving my order and ask for another staff member that can speak Japanese. Yes, I say that to Japanese people so they realize how stupid they are acting.
Hahaha, never change, man.

I’d still buy you a beer.

Well, of course from your limited pig brain, these are works of genius.

I will share a real example then. I have a friend that is a artistic genius. He has a real skill for sketching and he creates his own manga series. Yet, every time we are hanging out, he tells me how people are always criticizing him. They say he is strange and he is a stupid otaku, etc.

I hope he is successful one day, so all these shitty people wind up with egg on their face.
I think you should get your Manga butt buddy to make a manga about you: The Trials and Tribulaions of TJB. Episodes 1) TJB finds semen on his bicycle seat 2) TJB gets his arms spit on by a complete stranger 3) TJB drinks Strong Zeros and gets randy with Milf in gym shorts 4) TJB suffers Various Microaggressions

I think you should get your Manga butt buddy to make a manga about you: The Trials and Tribulaions of TJB. Episodes 1) TJB finds semen on his bicycle seat 2) TJB gets his arms spit on by a complete stranger 3) TJB drinks Strong Zeros and gets randy with Milf in gym shorts 4) TJB suffers Various Microaggressions

5) TJB is harrassed online by a French, a Cannuck , a pig and an apatrid (yet suspiciously German-sounding) horrible guy called MikeH

Reactions: MikeH and warubuta

Butt buddy? Fuck you. You are a miserable alcoholic fat fuck. I hope you drink your liver into a cancerous state.

The manga series can be about you, how about that?