Guest viewing is limited

Even After X amount of years in Japan I'll never get used to____

Why does it banks so long to do simple transactions? The other day wanted to exchange some yen to dollar and it took about 20 minutes to do all the paperwork and confirmations. Another time got locked out of my internet banking so had to go to the branch to get unlocked. After waiting for an hour it took another 30 minutes to fill out paperwork and stuff.

Why does it banks so long to do simple transactions? The other day wanted to exchange some yen to dollar and it took about 20 minutes to do all the paperwork and confirmations. Another time got locked out of my internet banking so had to go to the branch to get unlocked. After waiting for an hour it took another 30 minutes to fill out paperwork and stuff.

I have a theory about Japan and its relationship to inconvenient bureaucracy. I think that thousands of years ago the emperor signed a deal with a very powerful god. In exchange for a future filled with orderly train lines and smart toilets, Japan was bound to uphold the most infuriating, time consuming and run around systems for any sort of official paperwork.

It's a vestige of a system from times past. It's the same in South, Central and Latin America; computers on all of the desks, but still the need for 10 - 15 stamps on every piece of paper.

Why does it banks so long to do simple transactions? The other day wanted to exchange some yen to dollar and it took about 20 minutes to do all the paperwork and confirmations. Another time got locked out of my internet banking so had to go to the branch to get unlocked. After waiting for an hour it took another 30 minutes to fill out paperwork and stuff.[/QUOTE

At least it can be easier going from dollars to yen. Some places (not banks) have machines that will exchange dollars for yen.

Reactions: Ken1988
At least it can be easier going from dollars to yen. Some places (not banks) have machines that will exchange dollars for yen.

Yes, major Japanese banks have already outsourced the money exchange function to specialized outlets such as ワールドカレンシーショップ, 外貨両替コーナー etc. I always purchase a few mans of JPY from USD each time I visit Japan, but it usually takes less than 5 minutes after filling in a simple form.

Bank branches are not the place to purchase/sell foreign currencies these days.

Reactions: Simonka
2 weeks ago it took me 2 hours to send my own money from my own Japanese bank account to my own bank account back home. I knew it would take some time, so I was ready for maybe 30 minutes or so, but after the 1 hour mark I was just pissed off.

Reactions: Lukes
Try Transferwise, I needed to send some money at very short notice to my account in foreignland and the Japanese bank wanted me to print out and send off forms and all that jive with 5-10 days turnaround time, Transferwise was much less hassle (next day IIRC).

Try Transferwise, I needed to send some money at very short notice to my account in foreignland and the Japanese bank wanted me to print out and send off forms and all that jive with 5-10 days turnaround time, Transferwise was much less hassle (next day IIRC).
For any amount worth sending, you'll still need to do verification procedures. I don't think it takes but so long, but they do have to mail a registration check to your registered address, etc.

2 weeks ago it took me 2 hours to send my own money from my own Japanese bank account to my own bank account back home. I knew it would take some time, so I was ready for maybe 30 minutes or so, but after the 1 hour mark I was just pissed off.
Really wouldn't hurt to sign-up for a automated service such as Shinsei's GoRemit or Transferwise, etc. Once it's setup, you just transfer money online and it's automatically forwarded to your specified foreign account.

In part because of the "FSA ¥1 Rule" as it is known in financial circles. Closing out transactions can not be off by even one yen or everything has to be re-checked.

OK, so now I remembered one thing that is pretty different in Japan and the rest of the (pretending to be) civilised world.

The credit card companies.

In Europe:
*ring ring*
"MikeH speaking"
- Hi there, Credit Card Company ABC here. We just wanted to inform you there was a strange charge on your credit card. We cancelled that and are now sending you a new card, for free obviously. Have a good day!

In Japan:
*trying to call the helpdesk line; first 12 calls are cancelled because the line is busy*
- You have reached our helpdesk, please enter all your information here
*after 15 different menu items*
- Sorry we are busy, you can call back later. Sorry, we are busy, you can call back later
*after 13 minutes of waiting*
-Hello, what is your problem?
"There is a strange charge on my credit card"
-Have you tried talking with the shop?
"I don't even know who they are"
-You should talk with them
"It's a card issued by you, why do I need to talk with someone else?"
-We have no idea what they are charging
"I don't even have no idea who they are"
-You should check from the internet

How "weak" Japanese medicines (pills/tablets) are! When you catch a cold and the doctor prescribe you a medicine in a small mg dosage that the flu last for almost a month. Not even talk about painkillers! You will never get something like Oxycontin or Demerol.
So every time I have the chance to get medicines from Latin America, where you can get almost any medicine without a prescription.

How "weak" Japanese medicines (pills/tablets) are! When you catch a cold and the doctor prescribe you a medicine in a small mg dosage that the flu last for almost a month. Not even talk about painkillers! You will never get something like Oxycontin or Demerol.
So every time I have the chance to get medicines from Latin America, where you can get almost any medicine without a prescription.
Yes, I always bring a lot of painkillers from the US. The dosage in japan is soo low, and all of them contain caffeine! Like wtf?! So if I’m in pain before bed, it’s a choice between sleep and being pain-free... o_O
I think japan as a society doesn’t use or trust painkillers. I heard most women who give birth here have no option for epidural or pain relief. :eek:

Reactions: SatoKM
You will never get something like Oxycontin or Demerol.
Japan strongly controls the distribution of prescription opiates because of the addiction potential.

Don't get caught bringing those into the country. Just ask Julie Hamp.

Reactions: Acid Burn
Yes, I always bring a lot of painkillers from the US. The dosage in japan is soo low, and all of them contain caffeine! Like wtf?! So if I’m in pain before bed, it’s a choice between sleep and being pain-free... o_O
I think japan as a society doesn’t use or trust painkillers. I heard most women who give birth here have no option for epidural or pain relief. :eek:

DSC_3949.JPG