Guest viewing is limited

Even After X amount of years in Japan I'll never get used to____

When I set off for Japan I was only 22 years old, fresh out of college. As such, I was still of the college mentality, and only three things were important to have: muscles, beer and pussy. Not trying to brag at all but by American standards, I was in pretty fucking good shape. By Asian-American standards, I was a fucking catch. I had a 28-inch waist, high cheekbones, square jaw, the v-shaped torso, could bench almost 300lbs, etc. I thought I was pretty hot shit.

Then I arrived in Japan. What I pretty quickly discovered was that the only females who found me attractive were old women. I mean, OLD...as in, over 70. And they all seemed to think so for the same reason: because I was masculine like Japanese men USED to be when they were young girls. No need to do the math, that means pre-WWII.

The young girls, on the other hand, largely thought something was wrong with me.

"WHY ARE YOU SO BIG?" I was constantly asked. "DO YOU PLAY PROFESSIONAL SPORTS? DO YOU PLAY RUGBY?"

No, I do not.

"THEN WHY DO YOU NEED BIG MUSCLES???"

The young housewives I met also revealed to me another fun fact about modern Japanese culture and mindset.

"JAPANESE MEN WHO LOOK LIKE YOU ARE EITHER YAKUZA OR GAY."

Initially, I refused to believe them and figured they were just dumb gossipy bitches. After all, I was manly as shit. I also ignored the fact that most of the females I nailed during my first six months were fellow expats from the eikaiwa, usually after drunken welcome/goodbye parties at the izakaya, and very rarely Japanese. And then, I started noticing things at the onsen, particularly late at night. The old men gawking at me and then yucking it up while flexing their arms was one thing; the cops stopping me on the street to feel my muscles was one thing more; but the furtive glances and other suggestive provocations I started getting at Spa World at 11pm from obviously gay men (and not even good looking gay men, I was fucking offended) was the last straw.

I stopped lifting weights, although not really by choice since Japanese gyms are fucking awful. I slimmed down and in order to project that "educator" look once I landed a real job, I started wearing douchebag shit like v-neck sweaters, scarves and expensive wool coats, tighter slacks and silver-framed glasses rather than my contacts. And with each progressive step I took toward looking more like a fag and pussy, the correlating level of actual pussy being offered to me increased accordingly. I suppose it culminated with me fucking young girls in random purikura booths in Umeda game centers while the camera snapped photo after photo, looking like a member of that homo group BTS. When I finally escaped back to the real world, it took at least a year of proper rehabilitation to man the fuck up and un-fuck what Japan had done to me.

Go figure. The 80s live forever in Japan.

I can totally agree with you.

I was a very sporty and outdoor type of buy during my youth and early twenties. I used to workout 6 times a week because my dream was to become a professional baseball player.
I built up a lot of muscles and I was in a very good shape.

When I went the first time to Japan, I was around 24 years old and I was amazed that many girls considered an "attractive man" to be feminine and thin. Many girls I met had a kind of mix between disgust and fear in front of me.

Also as the time passed by, I decided to quit the gym and lose weight. I guess to become more attractive to Japanese girls.

Yep, had the same experience in my early 20s coming here. I was never huge but the more domestic girls (ie the better looking ones) told me that my muscles were a turn-off. The gaijin-hunters liked it.

also not just being slim but being ostentatiously ‘fashionable’ seems to get a lot of girl’s motors running here. You dont actually need to be fashionable, but if you look like you have dressed to attract attention (often in lieu of an actual personality) that helps.

a fit and handsome guy wearing jeans and a t shirt will often lose to a skinny-fat dude wearing a waistcoat and a beanie in 35c heat because the latter guy is ‘cool’

I think Japanese and Asian guys in general can look very good if they get a nice hairstyle, work out a bit (I’m not saying having big muscles or bench pressing heavy weights, but a simple regular workout routine makes a difference) and have access to dental healthcare. Asian Americans especially look very attractive IMO because they come from a culture where working out and having nice straight teeth is the norm. Japanese men in general overwork, occasionally get bullied by buchou or shachou, don’t have time to exercise, drink booze with colleagues and smoke so it ages them prematurely. Women with similar lifestyle and habits age faster as well but there are less women who work themselves to death in Japan..

Reactions: SatoKM
Yep, had the same experience in my early 20s coming here. I was never huge but the more domestic girls (ie the better looking ones) told me that my muscles were a turn-off. The gaijin-hunters liked it.

also not just being slim but being ostentatiously ‘fashionable’ seems to get a lot of girl’s motors running here. You dont actually need to be fashionable, but if you look like you have dressed to attract attention (often in lieu of an actual personality) that helps.

a fit and handsome guy wearing jeans and a t shirt will often lose to a skinny-fat dude wearing a waistcoat and a beanie in 35c heat because the latter guy is ‘cool’

Sitting outside a cafe now....looking back into the cafe I can see a gaijin wearing a bright orange beanie pretending to be busy on his Mac Book....maybe he is a TAG boy who picked up on @Durg50's advice. Currently a cool 31 degrees Celsius.

Now Iam safely out of the cafe....

If your reading this Beanie Boy, I just wanted to say that the Johnny Depp look your attempting is being totally eclipsed by the "Where's Wally" beanie. Lose the beanie.

That look you get when you go into a coffee shop in Japan and ask for decaf.
It’s the same look you get when you go into a certain bar in Tijuana and ask when the “one legged midget and the donkey show“ starts and they give you that awkward glance because the sign above your head says that the donkey is out with exhaustion and it’s then that you notice the little person is serving drinks behind the bar.
You know that look.

Eating at くら寿司 and suddenly hearing Pomp and Circumstance.

Last edited:
Reactions: hardharry
That look you get when you go into a coffee shop in Japan and ask for decaf.
It’s the same look you get when you go into a certain bar in Tijuana and ask when the “one legged midget and the donkey show“ starts and they give you that awkward glance because the sign above your head says that the donkey is out with exhaustion and it’s then that you notice the little person is serving drinks behind the bar.
You know that look.
You are in a different country, if you haven't noticed. Deal with it.

I was watching some gaijin idiot create a ruckus about a similar thing and he looked fucking angry. Maybe didn't rub one out the right way. Anyway, just go with the flow. I mean the name like hard harry has odd feelings in many ways. LOL.

You are in a different country, if you haven't noticed. Deal with it.

I was watching some gaijin idiot create a ruckus about a similar thing and he looked fucking angry. Maybe didn't rub one out the right way. Anyway, just go with the flow. I mean the name like hard harry has odd feelings in many ways. LOL.
Maybe I missed something in my own post. Can you point me to the part where i said I had trouble dealing with it?

And since we're both asking for clarification what does this mean-
"I mean the name like hard harry has odd feelings in many ways. LOL."

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to like and subscribe.

Don't forget to like and subscribe.

like_sub.gif

There are plenty of dead ends in residential areas in Japan, but it is rare to see a sign warning in advance of a dead end.

and I often found この先行き止まり sign for which the street was actually not a dead end.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
and I often found この先行き止まり sign for which the street was actually not a dead end.
A lot of the time those are put up without municipal authorisation by someone that owns property on the street and wants to limit traffic.

You can buy the signs (or pretty much any other common traffic sign...) on Monotaro.

Not to beat a dead horse but Japan has really screwed the pooch on the vaccinations. Not as poorly as Australia, but still a terrible job.

My recommendation for any future pandemics: politicians get vaccinated last. Would really force them to do their jobs effectively.

I can't get used to grown ass women thinking it is cute to wear Mickey Mouse ears, or draw whiskers on their photos.
Anyone over 25 who lists Disney as one of their hobbies gets a right swipe right away.

And while I'm at it. Enough of the Big Eye filters please.

Precise atmospheric pressure figures in Japanese weather reports rather than just referring to high or low pressure areas as is the norm in some other countries.

What’s up with all those Japanese who drive alone in their cars, but still wear face masks?

At least since the pandemic began, I started noticing that on a regular basis.

Reactions: leducul
What’s up with all those Japanese who drive alone in their cars, but still wear face masks?

I am one of those. I was renting the car, so I was being extra careful.

I'm not in Japan but I do that quite often, mostly just because it's easier for me. During my workday I'm constantly traveling to different locations and meetings, often just a few minutes drive apart--plus I use these expensive Honeywell N95-type masks--so it's a bit of a pain in the ass to be taking the mask off and putting it back on and adjusting the filter and shape and fit over and over. That, and I enjoy the anonymity of being masked.

Now, in Japan, it's probably just Japanese being neurotic, as with everything else.

Reactions: SugoiBoy and MikeH
I'm not in Japan but I do that quite often, mostly just because it's easier for me. During my workday I'm constantly traveling to different locations and meetings, often just a few minutes drive apart--plus I use these expensive Honeywell N95-type masks--so it's a bit of a pain in the ass to be taking the mask off and putting it back on and adjusting the filter and shape and fit over and over. That, and I enjoy the anonymity of being masked.

Now, in Japan, it's probably just Japanese being neurotic, as with everything else.

Well, also we just forget sometimes. We get so used to it you don’t even notice you could take it off

Well, also we just forget sometimes. We get so used to it you don’t even notice you could take it off

Lately I have been forgetting to put it on in the first place so I pretty much have to use it all the time. Including the times I am alone in my car. Also some trips are just few kilometres long so it is more hassle to take it off in between.