Guest viewing is limited

Even After X amount of years in Japan I'll never get used to____

What still really gets me is traffic law enforcement.

Outside of the traffic safety campaigns and the occasional Sunday after someone's been killed in an accident, they literally go out and enforce one or occasionally two specific laws per day.

Like they will devote an entire day to yellow line crossing, and ignore speeding or red light running.

They also announce to the general public where speed traps will be located months in advance, and a GPS enabled radar detector can be updated with this information.

And speed cameras are set to 40-50 over in most places. Sometimes even higher.

It's just mindblowing... I mean, as a driver, I appreciate it, but it's so easy to flaunt traffic law here.

17+ years here and I'll never get used to:
  • shitty rude drivers
  • the 'shoganai' attitude applied to so many areas of life
  • young girls wearing "Playboy" logoed clothing, clueless to what it is about. "Oh, usagi. It's cute!"
  • passive aggressive
  • kaede and momiji ARE NOT both maples (just one example)
  • Not being understood by a local person even though I just spoke to them in simple, clear Japanese
Could go on & on, but I'll leave it at that.

OH! I just thought of another! Stalls in the public bathrooms so small that entering and exiting is like trying to do a square dance in a shoebox!

Last edited:
It's interesting. In the office I've seen the women gossip about a new Male colleague. Instead of discussing his personality or whether he's even handsome or not they seem to focus on what kind of car he drives, what kind of watch he wears and then speculate based on that what his income is
I see an awful lot of this shallow, goods & worth crap from my wife.

Reactions: Durg50
No clothes dryers
We Japanese are ECO. We don't waste energy with clothes dryers.... {cut to the entrance of a shopping center in Tokyo as icy cold air drifts through the open doors of the building} sigh!

@Sudsy Where can I find these info about where the speed traps are?
Thanks
Every prefectural police force puts them out in the prefectural government published paper 3 months .

My radar detector software downloads them automatically though.

Reactions: Mr Cat
You need a gas dryer.

Here's the mystery: every apartment or house has gas hookups for room heaters but there is no gas hookup in the area where the washer (possibly dryer) are supposed to be located.

What still really gets me is traffic law enforcement.

Yep. Cop sitting there while obvious traffic law violations are all about and they do nothing.

young girls wearing "Playboy" logoed clothing

More the mystery is the over 60 women wearing same.

Reactions: Sudsy and Don630518
There are some. Taim in Ebishu (Israeli) and Uchimura in Higashi-Kitazawa (Egyptian) are pretty much decent imo, but yes both shops are very small.
Taim in Ebisu (and Marunouchi) aren’t very good in my opinion and that’s two restaurants in a massive metropolis.

Reactions: Ken1988
Great question Cass !

The lack of bins.
The price of fresh produce.
When ladies bike around completely covered in black looking insane so that they can stay pale and look good for...idk what occasion ?
How much it costs to initially get an apartment.
How slow the internet can be.
When Japanese people wait at a red light before crossing when it's known to seldom have traffic and its visibly safe to cross.
The lack of PDA - is hand holding dead ? - because I'm still very much into it as a practice.
How conducive to mould the climate can be.
Cats with just a lil nub for a tail.

On a more positive note:
How talented nail technicians and hair stylists are.
No tipping - what a dream.
The freshness of seafood.
Even the smallest most random train stations and their adjacent areas have some really charming areas and good food, there's so much to do everywhere.
How quickly buildings get torn down and built up (I suppose this could be negative too though).
Those washing machines that both wash and dry your laundry so you don't have to turn it over when you're lazy.

When ladies bike around completely covered in black looking insane so that they can stay pale and look good for...idk what occasion?
Japanese people on average are more susceptible to skin and tissue damage due to an autosomal recessive genetic condition called “xeroderma pigmentosum”. The disease affects about 1 in 20,000 in Japan, 1 in 250,000 people in the United States and 1 in 430,000 in Europe. The severity of the condition changes from person to person, some have to avoid sunlight completely, whereas some can go out as long as they cover up.
It could be this genetic condition (if they’re dressed like beekeepers), or it could be that they are trying to avoid hyperpigmentation, another curse for East Asian skin, at least that’s what some of my friends are trying to achieve. :)

Last edited:
Japanese people on average are more susceptible to skin and tissue damage due to an autosomal recessive genetic condition called “xeroderma pigmentosum”. The disease affects about 1 in 20,000 in Japan, 1 in 250,000 people in the United States and 1 in 430,000 in Europe. The severity of the condition changes from person to person, some have to avoid sunlight completely, whereas some can go out as long as they cover up.
It could be this genetic condition (if they’re dressed like beekeepers), or it could be that they are trying to avoid hyperpigmentation, another curse for East Asian skin, at least that’s what some of my friends are trying to achieve. :)

~the more you know ~

Interesting. Thanks for the info

I've always been curious about this myself; I wasn't sure if it was a human caused phenomenon or genetics..According to this article it seems to be the latter.

My original suspicion was that someone mistook the ox tail soup and started to make it with cat tails in here. But since I got my own gang of cats that now own me I can confirm there are all kinds even inside the same litter. One has a very short stub, couple have like semi-short ones and couple have the full length version. The ones with a long one will certainly have fits daily where they chase it.

No cats or humans were harmed during this experiment.

My original suspicion was that someone mistook the ox tail soup and started to make it with cat tails in here. But since I got my own gang of cats that now own me I can confirm there are all kinds even inside the same litter. One has a very short stub, couple have like semi-short ones and couple have the full length version. The ones with a long one will certainly have fits daily where they chase it.

No cats or humans were harmed during this experiment.
My favorite thing in the world could be my cat subtly quivering his tail to express his love and warm feelings.. or maybe curling up next to a cat and fall asleep with the purrs. I love all cats but I’m glad my cats have their tails to tell me they love me!

My favorite thing in the world could be my cat subtly quivering his tail to express his love and warm feelings.. or maybe curling up next to a cat and fall asleep with the purrs. I love all cats but I’m glad my cats have their tails to tell me they love me!

I don't know if it's related but the one with the stubby one is the most vocal. When she comes back from her adventures outside she will keep telling everything what happened easily more than 30 minutes.

I am not sure if she is telling me she loves me or that she needs food. Or are they the same thing? :D

I don't know if it's related but the one with the stubby one is the most vocal. When she comes back from her adventures outside she will keep telling everything what happened easily more than 30 minutes.

I am not sure if she is telling me she loves me or that she needs food. Or are they the same thing? :D

Sounds like a sugar babe to me...

Here's the mystery: every apartment or house has gas hookups for room heaters but there is no gas hookup in the area where the washer (possibly dryer) are supposed to be located.

I remembered this and got curious today.

My laundry area has a gas hookup. I'll be darned.

I remembered this and got curious today.

My laundry area has a gas hookup. I'll be darned.
What the ever loving fuck?!?!if it was me i'd be going and buying a gas dryer tomorrow had I discovered that.

Being able to get a full load completely done within just over an hour without leaving home, that right there is civilization at its best.

Last edited:
it was me i'd be going and buying a gas dryer tomorrow had I discovered that.

The missus will be abusing my credit card at some point this week. That's her domain, and I do not interfere.

We have a deal - she does the laundry, and I don't fuck up the laundry. (I'm really not great at laundry).

I do the cooking when I'm not working late. :)

Sudsy over there living in 3019 while the rest of us plebs are stuck in the 21st century.

Back in the twentieth century I lived in a house that had a gas hookup in the laundry area. No girl has ever given me the same warm soft touch in my skin than that beautiful gas dryer I had back then.