Guest viewing is limited

Even After X amount of years in Japan I'll never get used to____

Can you actually do a second license conversion? My understanding is that it wasn’t allowed, but since I’ve never had my license revoked, I’ve never had occasion to find out firsthand.

I was under the impression, though, that it was no longer allowed under the same rule changes that stopped foreign residents from driving in definitely on an international drivers permit. They basically want license revocation and suspensions to stick.

At least I have a kind of vague memory of doing the conversion twice myself. I think I did the first conversion in 80's when I came. But somehow that ended up being only a normal car license, they didn't mark motorbike or truck in the Japanese license.

So I was happily using the international license whenever driving those. And then like everyone else I was surprised to hear that became illegal when they made that new rule. And of course everyone heard about it just like six months after it was already the law. Then I went to convert the license again and this time they gave me all the ticks in the right boxes.

I believe it was a full conversion second time as I remember having to prove I had been living in the old country after getting the license; and that was kind of hard as I already had been living here for over a decade.

Reactions: Sudsy
I’m always surprised at how many Japanese guys I’ve seen along the years get drunk & either strip or pull out their penis at a nomikai.
From outside to inside location didn’t even matter nor age. I’ve seen college kids do it too.

Reactions: TAG Manager
I do that from times to times too. Made me wonder why don't they just take it. I even have get out of the train and get back on a different car to make it convincing!
I’ve discovered that it’s effective etiquette to stand, gently ask 3 times, lest they be judged for troubling you. It’s quite effective!
On the other hand, some old gal with a ton of shopping bags can spot me a mile away and plant themselves in front of and sigh, betting, correctly, I’ll smile and relinquish! lol

I will never get used to seeing high school pitchers throw 150+ pitches in a game, and then come back on maybe one day of rest to throw another 150+ pitches....and Japanese see this as something to be admired.

Bullshit
I could never get used to bullshit
In any country but Japan is good a that

Really? What the fuck kind of nonsense is that?
Bicycles aren’t supposed to be on the sidewalk in the first place.

Unless you are 11 or under or 70 or over. I can't wait! :D

Well, then Japan really needs to make wider roads. Where I live on a 2-way road if you try to ride a bike there, you're almost certain to get hit by a car. Most of my fellow neighbors would agree because 90% of them ride their bikes on the sidewalk

Please tell me what kind of "emergency" institutes using a bike bell?

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Well, then Japan really needs to make wider roads. Where I live on a 2-way road if you try to ride a bike there, you're almost certain to get hit by a car. Most of my fellow neighbors would agree because 90% of them ride their bikes on the sidewalk

Please tell me what kind of "emergency" institutes using a bike bell?

The only acceptable use is when you're overtaking another bicycle, apparently.

But mostly it's for when the plod pull you over to check your bicycle registration so you don't get fined for not having one.

Where I live on a 2-way road if you try to ride a bike there, you're almost certain to get hit by a car.

It is totally legal to be hit by a car though so at least you are not breaking any laws there! :D

Reactions: Negi77 and impish
Go to Yodobashi with ¥200.000 in your pocket and you will get a fantastic 12kg washing machine that dries your clothes as well.

And they take 3 hours to do a single load of laundry. How do I know? I have one, and I hate it because I can't do the amount of laundry I need to in the time I"d want to.

Just program it before going to sleep.

Our washing machine is on constantly (including overnight) and 90% of the time it's not my clothes. It's not a matter of just setting a timer. It's needing the damn wash/dry cycles to be shorter.

Japan needs separate washer/dryers, and they need 200V dryers like we have in the US.

I never get used to being homesick, missing my family and friends

E9002109-1DB8-4634-9F64-745621478D49.png

The lack of eyebrow threading technicians in beauty salons.. there are some eyebrow studios but these are limited to chic areas like Hiroo, Aoyama etc.. booking appointments with them can be a hectic process, so I had to learn this skill after moving to Japan.

In my country almost every woman has incredible and perfectly groomed eyebrows, there is not a single stray hair on sight! Hundreds of brow threading & waxing technicians are available in hairdressers or beauty salons and making appointments with them is easy. I miss the convenience. In Japan tinting and shaving (!) the eyebrow seems to be the trend.