Favorite Musicals List

rob040188

TAG Member
Reaction score
I think no one has posted a list of their Favorite Musicals (although I'm more of an action/sci-fi buff, I was completely blown away when I first watched Les Miz live--had orchestra seats at that time-- with the music and Eponine's character) .

My Favorite Musicals are as follows:
1) The Phantom of the Opera [Ramin Karimloo or Michaell Crawford as Erik or the Phantom. Sierra Boggess as Christine ]
2) Les Miz [Colm Wilkinson as Valjean. Norm Lewis as Javert. Lea Salonga as Fantine. Lea Salonga or Samantha Barks as Eponine]
3) Miss Saigon [Lea Salonga as KIm. Simon Bowman as Chris]
4) Love Never Dies [Ramin Karimloo as Erik or the Phantom. Sierra Boggess as Christine. Not as good as the original PTO ]

Just my 2cents

I don’t really watch musicals.. so I don’t have a favorites list. However, I was in Shibuya yesterday and since I had to kill time for a few hours, I decided to watch The Greatest Showman at Toho Cinemas.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. I had never heard about the movie until I got there and saw the poster. Looked it up and watched the trailer a few minutes before buying a ticket. It looked cheesy, but c’mon.. Hugh Jackman! ❤️

I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much during a movie before. It was embarrassing because nobody else was crying except me. I didn’t even cry because of the sad scenes.. but because of how powerful the songs were.

It was a super weird experience.. but I loved every minute of it. Guess I have a favorite musical now.

@MissInsomnia , Hugh Jackman is a great actor/singer/dancer. I haven't watched the Greatest Showman yet (and I also promised myself to write 3,000words today, work:confused:. TAG is very addictive).

If you are a big fan of his then you should watch Les Miserables (2012 film/musical). But, Russel Crowe (i'm sorry Crowe fans) butchered "Stars". He isn't a great singer.

Eponine's "A Little Fall of Rain" made me cry when I watched that live.

You could watch the 10 and 25th anniversary of Les Miz on YouTube. I'm a big fan of Lea Salonga so I prefer those versions of Les Miz. I also recommend that you watch Miss Saigon. There are some clips on youtube

Side note: Lea Salonga is the singing voice of Mulan (disney film) and Jasmine (in Alladin, disney film)

Got to focus on work.

Sound of Music. West Side Story. Oliver. Fiddler on the Roof.

I hope you don't mean "Oliver!" from the 60s. That movie had so much of the off putting British tropes in it that it actually terrifies me more than anything else. It's also sad to read about what happened to Jack Wild later in his life.

I don’t really watch musicals.. so I don’t have a favorites list. However, I was in Shibuya yesterday and since I had to kill time for a few hours, I decided to watch The Greatest Showman at Toho Cinemas.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. I had never heard about the movie until I got there and saw the poster. Looked it up and watched the trailer a few minutes before buying a ticket. It looked cheesy, but c’mon.. Hugh Jackman! ❤️

I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much during a movie before. It was embarrassing because nobody else was crying except me. I didn’t even cry because of the sad scenes.. but because of how powerful the songs were.

It was a super weird experience.. but I loved every minute of it. Guess I have a favorite musical now.

You're not the only woman who feels that way. There's actually special screenings now for that movie specifically for people who want to clap and cheer during the songs. There was a commercial for them recently by Buruzon Chiemi (one of the latest booming ピン芸人).

Good to know that I’m not the only one who cried almost all the time :cry:

@MissInsomnia , Hugh Jackman is a great actor/singer/dancer. I haven't watched the Greatest Showman yet (and I also promised myself to write 3,000words today, work:confused:. TAG is very addictive).

If you are a big fan of his then you should watch Les Miserables (2012 film/musical). But, Russel Crowe (i'm sorry Crowe fans) butchered "Stars". He isn't a great singer.

Eponine's "A Little Fall of Rain" made me cry when I watched that live.

You could watch the 10 and 25th anniversary of Les Miz on YouTube. I'm a big fan of Lea Salonga so I prefer those versions of Les Miz. I also recommend that you watch Miss Saigon. There are some clips on youtube

Side note: Lea Salonga is the singing voice of Mulan (disney film) and Jasmine (in Alladin, disney film)

Got to focus on work.
The Greatest Showman was decent, i also love Hugh Jackman's voice.

Les Miserables is great, On My Own is my favorite song in it.

Les Miserables is great, On My Own is my favorite song in it.
You really should watch Lea Salonga as eponine(she is the first Kim, Miss Saigon. and I know she got a Tony Award for that--first asian female to win a Tony) in the 10th anniversary of Les Miz

I really have to get back to work. I think I have written more here than for my work...take care
:banghead:

Live would be Les Miserables. I saw on Braoadway and a couple of traveling shows.

For movie I really enjoyed Moulin Rouge. I didn’t even know it was a musical and liked how they incorporated different genre of music into a pretty cool movie.

As a kid, l loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins. Still enjoy today.

I hope you don't mean "Oliver!" from the 60s. That movie had so much of the off putting British tropes in it that it actually terrifies me more than anything else. It's also sad to read about what happened to Jack Wild later in his life.
Whatever. But you have to admit that Oliver Reed was great. And the guy who played Fagin was great too. It was made for mass American consumption, so you can’t really blame it for the exaggerated Cockneys and whatnot. I don’t really know or care what happened to Jack Wild. Not relevant to the quality of the movie. I would put the other movies I named above Oliver. Sound of Music is kind of the grand daddy of all musicals IMO. You

Whatever. But you have to admit that Oliver Reed was great. And the guy who played Fagin was great too. It was made for mass American consumption, so you can’t really blame it for the exaggerated Cockneys and whatnot. I don’t really know or care what happened to Jack Wild. Not relevant to the quality of the movie. I would put the other movies I named above Oliver. Sound of Music is kind of the grand daddy of all musicals IMO. You

Violence against women is not entertaining, so I don't know why you're raving about Oliver Reed. I'll admit the guy could be the Mountain of Game of Thrones, but his portrayal takes me out of the movie. They also made it very unclear that Oliver was the long lost son of the daugther who dissapeared.

As is the problem with British movies that have a lot of cheap extras, you don't get the most photegenic of people in the background. (Harry Potter, etc.) It might be my Hollywood bias, but even the undertaker's kids who bullied on Oliver made me want to turn the film off.

Live would be Les Miserables. I saw on Braoadway and a couple of traveling shows.

For movie I really enjoyed Moulin Rouge. I didn’t even know it was a musical and liked how they incorporated different genre of music into a pretty cool movie.

As a kid, l loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins. Still enjoy today.
Great taste.

Cats. :)

We got to see it at the Yokohama Cats Theater and really enjoyed the experience. Too bad they closed the theater down.:(

Ever since then I’ve been trying to track down the soundtrack featuring the Japanese cast, but it went out of print a long time ago.:(

Violence against women is not entertaining, so I don't know why you're raving about Oliver Reed. I'll admit the guy could be the Mountain of Game of Thrones, but his portrayal takes me out of the movie. They also made it very unclear that Oliver was the long lost son of the daugther who dissapeared.

As is the problem with British movies that have a lot of cheap extras, you don't get the most photegenic of people in the background. (Harry Potter, etc.) It might be my Hollywood bias, but even the undertaker's kids who bullied on Oliver made me want to turn the film off.
I like his acting. I also like Kevin Spacey. I have the intellectual capacity to separate the art from the artist and Reed was fucking brilliant in Oliver IMO. The differences between a novel and the movie based on the novel is always a point of argument, with most people liking the novel better. Yawn.

I like his acting. I also like Kevin Spacey. I have the intellectual capacity to separate the art from the artist and Reed was fucking brilliant in Oliver IMO. The differences between a novel and the movie based on the novel is always a point of argument, with most people liking the novel better. Yawn.

Actors draw from past expereinces in their performances, so it's hilarious to go back to his earlier works and see how Kevin Spacey handles scenes dealing with child abuse.

Actors draw from past expereinces in their performances, so it's hilarious to go back to his earlier works and see how Kevin Spacey handles scenes dealing with child abuse.
I read a very long and detailed piece in the New Yorker a few months ago written by a guy who was groomed and then assaulted by Spacey back when he was about 18 and Spacey was around 27 or so. Really, really scary. Made my skin crawl. But his work in House of Cards is very, very good. His abilities are in the top few % of Hollywood leading men in recent times. Dont know what to make of it.

Here's the commercial for the special screenings I was talking about.

Reactions: rob040188