Favorite Musicals List

Does anyone have information about where to watch good live musicals in Japan? In English would be best, but if they have a similar dvd version that i can watch first, Japanese is fine.

I'm also mildly interested in opera (i really want to see Don Giovanni because eyyy, hot sex) but i've never been.

Does anyone have information about where to watch good live musicals in Japan? In English would be best, but if they have a similar dvd version that i can watch first, Japanese is fine.

I'm also mildly interested in opera (i really want to see Don Giovanni because eyyy, hot sex) but i've never been.

They are quite frequent around the Tokyo station/Hibiya station area. If the cast is English speaking, the performance will be in English with subtitles being shown digitally off to the side.

I don't see any listed now on eplus, but just stay on the look out for live performances of Broadway productions.

For musicals, perhaps here.
http://theatre-orb.com/english/

For operas, I think this is the only opera house in Tokyo.
http://www.nntt.jac.go.jp/english/

I somehow like Finian's Rainbow. It's the only musical film I have watched repeatedly so many times.

Quite late to this thread, but here goes.

The Sound of Music is my favourite movie musical. The cast, the songs, the musical arrangements, the story, the locale and direction are all excellent. Released in 1965, its soundtrack remains evergreen.
Among all its amazing tunes, I particularly love the song Something Good, when Maria and Captain Von Trapp tell their true feelings to each other. Its lyrics express how I felt when I was with someone I loved who loved me back:
Nothing comes from nothing / Nothing ever could / So somewhere in my youth or childhood / I must have done something good.

Back in school, my friends and I all gravitated to the movie Fame. It was fun, boisterous and loud, with a collection of very good songs. Irene Cara’s titular song was its biggest hit, but I prefer the quieter number with just a guitar accompaniment, Is It Okay If I Call You Mine?
The song may be an example of young love, but I’m reminded of it in P4P when I’m with a provider I really like: Is it okay if I call you mine? / Just for a time / And I will be just fine.
In the late 90s, I checked out the stage production Fame The Musical in London’s West End. It wasn’t as good as the movie, of course.

I also watched the West End productions of Miss Saigon and Les Miserables. Watched those again on Broadway in New York, as well as their touring productions in Hong Kong. Simply fantastic.
In Miss Saigon, Lea Salonga sang her socks off in the lead role. Ms. Salonga’s songs showcased her awesome vocal prowess. What a singer.
But I really loved the Filipina actress/singer who played Gigi and sang The Movie In My Mind in the original West End production.
It’s a P4P song she sang with all the aches, pains and dashed hopes of a jaded SW in war-torn Vietnam:
They are not nice, they're mostly noise
They swear like men, they screw like boys
I know there's nothing in their hearts
But every time I take one in my arms
It starts:
The movie in my mind
The dream they leave behind
A scene I can't erase
And in a strong GI's embrace
Flee this life
Flee this place.

Now I need to catch up and see The Greatest Showman. I wouldn’t mind a good cry, too.

In Miss Saigon, Lea Salonga sang her socks off in the lead role. Ms. Salonga’s songs showcased her awesome vocal prowess. What a singer.
But I really loved the Filipina actress/singer who played Gigi and sang The Movie In My Mind in the original West End production.

From the Making of Miss Saigon [] (and Wikipedia), I think that was Isay Alvarez. I can't really tell. Among the original cast I only met in person were Lea Salonga and Pinky Amador, on separate occasions.

Last edited:
Why has no one said Chicago yet? Just me? Oh well, guess I'll just be over here reenacting Cell Block Tango by myself then =)

Why has no one said Chicago yet? Just me? Oh well, guess I'll just be over here reenacting Cell Block Tango by myself then =)

I haven't watched it yet.

I'll put that on my list of musicals I need to watch.
1) Chicago
2) Moulin Rouge
3) La La Land
4) Cats

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yes, she played Gigi in the West End production. Mighty fine lady. Hope she is well.

Reactions: rob040188
I haven't watched it yet.

I'll put that on my list of musicals I need to watch.
1) Chicago
2) Moulin Rouge

Ah Moulin Rouge is also a really fun one! Who doesn't love a Marilyn Monroe/ Madonna mash up? Makes me wish I could do incalls in a sparkly elephant *sigh*

Yes, she played Gigi in the West End production. Mighty fine lady. Hope she is well.
She and Monique Wilson (Lea Salonga's alternate) faded from public view. IDK why.

Rachelle Ann Go (also filipina) was the latest Gigi (she also played Fantine in Les Miz). I think she is in Hamilton now.

@tigerlily
I forgot to add:
5) Hamilton

On a related note: I should also watch "Hidden Figures"
"Every time we get a chance to get ahead, they move the finish line"
I could really relate to this film. I used to work for an engineering firm in the middle east. I did process and detailed mechanical designs. But in all cases, my name won't be in the drawings that were submitted to the client. Just because I got the wrong color/religion or I'm from the wrong country. Unfortunately, it still happens here. Although a bit more subtle. Don't get me wrong, I love Japan and its people.

This Is Me
I'm not a stranger to the dark
"Hide away, " they say
"'Cause we don't want your broken parts"
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars
"Run away, " they say
"No one will love you as you are"
But I won't let them break me down to dust
I know that there's a place for us
For we are glorious

Last edited:
With all due respect to the Von Trapp family singers, forget The Sound of Music. Forget The Wolverine, too.

I just watched The Greatest Showman on the plane and I was blown away.
Thank you to the OP, MissInsomnia and Anna Summer for the endorsement. Yes, I shed some tears, too.

The Greatest Showman is my No. 1 musical film right now.
Maybe I viewed the film at a weird stage of my life, but it ticked all the boxes for me. It’s the film I needed to see at this time.
The cast was outstanding, the pacing and story were on point, the cinematography and choreography was captivating, and and the songs were tight as if these were part of a greatest-hits compilation.

There were some odd Queen-Hall and Oates-Bruce Springsteen-Lani Hall-Manhattan Transfer-Aretha Franklin-Quincy Jones vibes I got from the songs. That’s just me. But it felt good. So good.

The song A Million Dreams was fantastic. It brought me back to my younger years, when my dreams were shared by a past significant other:
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
A million dreams for the world we're gonna make.

This Is Me, justifiably, is an anthem for all the misfits and outsiders of society:
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I’m not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me.

Rewrite The Stars made my eyes misty ... Okay, it made me cry a little.
I was supposed to be with someone I met in Tokyo for this trip. But she decided to bounce and suplexed my heart like it was WrestleMania, while wishing me a good life.
C’est la vie.
So all I was left with is the question:
What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
Nothing could keep us apart
You'd be the one I was meant to find
It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one can say what we get to be
So why don't we rewrite the stars?
Maybe the world could be ours
Tonight

Anyway, thank to you guys for reading this review/rambling.
On to the next adventure.

Forgot about Grease. Fun movie to watch and Olivia Newton John was looking very good in that movie. Grease 2 not so good but a young Michelle Pfiefer made it watchable.

Reactions: rob040188
Wait.. how did I miss this thread....

And more importantly, how is there no mention of the Rocky Horror Show?
(Or Rocky Horror Picture Show if you prefer the theatrical release....)

Here's movie clips versus a live show. :)

Now for the fun part.... who can guess what part I played in the production at my uni?

Wait.. how did I miss this thread....

And more importantly, how is there no mention of the Rocky Horror Show?
(Or Rocky Horror Picture Show if you prefer the theatrical release....)

Here's movie clips versus a live show. :)

Now for the fun part.... who can guess what part I played in the production at my uni?

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!

Literally going to get a Rocky horror tattoo next week, the obsession is real.

Literally going to get a Rocky horror tattoo

Whatcha getting?

Lips? Boss heart? Mom skull? Love and hate across your fingers? :)

Whatcha getting?

Lips? Boss heart? Mom skull? Love and hate across your fingers? :)

antici

pation
(just a quick stick n poke on two random body parts, nothing too elaborate.. Although I've always wanted a classic pin up style Dr Frank N Furter.. Maybe too much commitment to a movie?)

Get a room together and find out ;)
Aw man I got too excited talking about Rocky Horror and missed a good chance to be mysterious and sexy again :'(

classic pin up style Dr Frank N Furter

Why not have both?

il_570xN.1047607889_tfjm.jpg

Why not have both?

il_570xN.1047607889_tfjm.jpg

I can't tell if you're the angel or the devil on my shoulder right now, because I told myself no more big tattoos this year. But this is too perfect!