Favorite Romantic Comedy Films

I don't know if there is already a post on TAG about Romantic Comedies. Love stories can be a bit too serious, especially the Nicholas Sparks kind [he tends to kill one his main characters]

Excellent thread.
Here are a few of my favourites and noteworthy bits of dialogue:
* Annie Hall (1977)
Alvy Singer: Hey listen, gimme a kiss.
Annie Hall: Really?
Alvy Singer: Yeah, why not, because we're just gonna go home later, right, and then there's gonna be all that tension, we've never kissed before and I'll never know when to make the right move or anything. So we'll kiss now and get it over with, and then we'll go eat. We'll digest our food better.

I attempted to use Alvy’s lines above with a Singaporean girl on our first date. I didn’t finish the line. She kissed me before I could say the bit about digestion.;)

*Hitch (2005)
Hitch: I'm a guy. Since when do we get anything right the first time?

*When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Harry Burns: I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

*Shakespeare In Love (1998)
Viola De Lesseps: This is not life, Will. It is a stolen season.

One more:
Lord Wessex: How is this to end?
Queen Elizabeth: As stories must when love's denied: with tears and a journey.

Did you mean Can't Hardly Wait, Jennifer Love Hewitt as the dream babe at an HS party?

“Can’t buy me love” is probably not so well known. Stars a very young Patrick Dempsey with a much different nose. Can’t remember the actress’ name but I think I she unfortunately died of a drug OD. Typical story but enjoyable.

Is Pretty Woman too cliche an answer ?
This is one of my favorites also.
If I remember correctly, Richard Gere's character was reading Sonnet 29 to Julia Robert's character under a tree

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
It’s a great movie, just the right amount of romance, tons of belly busting laughing moments, some moving tears, and the ending left me appreciating and being in gratitude of life.
I just watched the trailer and read the wiki page. Apparently it was directed (and written) by the same guy who directed NottingHill (my favorite, I can relate to Hugh Grant's character. I'm usually the clueless guy in relationships). I'll put "About Time" in my to watch list

No When Harry met Sally?

That's my favorite. My Japanese roommates and I watched that movie like a million times on HBO and Showtime like Groundhog day back in the 90's when we were able to hack the cable TV company and got the cable for free. You ain't paying for nothing when you were that young.

The favorite quote from the movie from Harry, "And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

Meg Ryan is so fucking hot in that movie. So yes, I've never stopped from going after anything because of that quote.

Groundhog day is another one of my favorites. If a movie has Bill Murray in it, then it becomes instant classic.

Reactions: rob040188
I loved the diner scene.

Who wouldn't love that scene?

That was a classic scene. The fake orgasm scene was so perfect. "I'll have what she's having", said the lady at another table.

What really makes this my top Rom Com is the quotes from the movie.

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

When you love someone, you love everything about her and what she does.

Reactions: rob040188
"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
When you love someone, you love everything about her and what she does.
Well said, @tohno

I haven't watched "When Harry Met Sally", yet. But among meg ryan's films that I have watched I liked "Sleepless in Seattle" the most.

Reactions: tohno
There is also a funny romantic (?) movie
About Time (My favorite)
this is one of the most funny movie ever.
The humor is just brilliant and the actors are killing it.

That moment when they have a blind date in the dark and the girl says "i look like a mouse", it just cracked me up so badly :D

And also some really touching moments in this movie

He also stars in Harry Potter, which usually means someone is a good actor,
I didn't know Domhall Gleeson was in Harry Potter. Unfortunately, I haven't watched Harry Potter yet. I was planning to read the novels first (in most cases the novels are better than the films ---the only exception to this case would be the Bourne 1 to 3---Robert Ludlum could be very long winded and Carlos the Jackal isn't relevant anymore)...Also, when I do have free time, I tend to read Technothrillers (Clancy, Flynn, Hunter, Forsyth, Fury books).

That moment when they have a blind date in the dark and the girl says "i look like a mouse", it just cracked me up so badly :D
Ok, now I really have to watch this

Reactions: Troilist
There is also a funny romantic (?) movie

And also some really touching moments in this movie

I was laughing so hard during the part he kept on going back to redo the first time they had sex. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I was laughing so hard during the part he kept on going back to redo the first time they had sex. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
@Troilist I don't know about other guys. but for me reliving the first time is important. But, if I had that ability to turn back the clock, I would rather do a make over on how I met that one great love of my life...
Sadly, something like this only exists in films and novels (a great example would be "Somewhere in Time")

Last edited:
IMG_3095.JPG
Wait.. almost forgot my favorite:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding