Favorite Sci-Fi Movies/TV Shows List

rob040188

TAG Member
Reaction score
But I must say I'm not much of a romantic comedy kind of girl. It's not my ideal genre for a movie night. I don't like them that much. I prefer science fiction, thriller, animated movies, crime, disaster and fantasy movies.

Let's start with Sci-Fi.
1) Aliens [2] - Sigourney Weaver is really bad-ass in this film. A perfect mix of sci-fi/action/horror.[Maybe, it was because of Sigourney Weaver, that I'm intimidated by women taller than me. She's 2 inches taller than me]
2) The Martian
3) Altered Carbon -- Has a blade runner-esque setting with switching bodies and good enough fight scenes
4) District 9 -- awesome gun fights
5) Elysium -- Same director as above. Also has great fight scenes with the added bonus of Sharlto Copley as a psychotic merc

Blade Runner probably tops any list. The sequel was also excellent.
The Fifth Element - a must see
Akira - even though it's animated it's still one of the craziest sci-fi films ever
Day of the Triffids
Alien and Aliens
Escape from New York
Forbidden Planet
The Terminator and sequels
Planet of the Apes series (originals)
The Thing (original)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
The Matrix - even though the sequels were weak, still highly influential on the genre
The Star Wars franchise - machete order.
The Fly
War of the Worlds (1953)
Little Shop of Horrors (people forget that this is actually an alien invasion)
Jurassic Park
Gattaca
Metropolis (90th anniversary with rerecorded original score) and Metropolis (Girgio Moroder soundtrack - the music makes it a different film.)

And my personal favourite sci-fi movie of them all... They Live. :D

Series (including movies that spawned TV series):
Doctor Who (original and 2005)
Star Trek (All of them + movies)
Battlestar Galactica (both series and movie)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
The Expanse
Firefly
Stargate (all of it)
Killjoys
Westworld (series and movie)
Dark Matter
Lexx
Rick and Morty (animated, but pure dystopian sci fi)
The Outer Limits
Red Dwarf
The Man in the High Castle

Gattaca is my favorite. I'm pretty sure a lot of things in that movie will happen in the near future and in our life time. Hell, we have already had the plug-in cars.

Reactions: rob040188 and Sudsy
Reactions: Sudsy
I mentioned Aliens [2]. I forgot to add Predator. For me, this is Arnie's best film. To a lesser extent, Predators {2010], for its plot twists.

I don't really like this genre.

The Metrix is brilliant though, thats how movies should be made. Plus young Keanu Reeves, daaaaaamn!

I'm i the only person who thinks Blade Runner (original) is boring?
I had high expectations but it was like nothing was happening at all and the friend with who i was watching it was also like "'meh".

I couldn't stop thinking how much the girl looked like the girl in Pulp Fiction though, did Tarantino use i as an influence on her looks?

I had high expectations but it was like nothing was happening at all and the friend with who i was watching it was also like "'meh".
the original had great sets and it had a very Gothic tone. also had a japanese theme to it.

I couldn't stop thinking how much the girl looked like the girl in Pulp Fiction though, did Tarantino use i as an influence on her looks?
IDK. But now that you mention it they do look similar. but the girl in blade original had "taller" bangs. IDK how to describe women's hairstyles

Last edited:

The Metrix is brilliant though, thats how movies should be made. Plus young Keanu Reeves, daaaaaamn!

Yup, Matrix 1 and 2 are brilliant (despite a lot of hate for 2). 3 was a total waste, though.

The original Blade Runner is pretty dreary and slow, so you're not the only person. A lot of people like it for its atmosphere and because of the questions regarding artificial life it raises. I know some fans who get off to it because of the replicant on human sex aspect. (I'm not saying Decker is human, there are strong cases for both why he is and why he isn't one in this movie. And, let's not spoil the sequel for those who haven't seen it yet)

To a lesser extent, Predators {2010], for its plot twists.

Hated this movie, it made the Predators seem like pack hunters and the humans they picked up were totally random. Taking a professional soldier, no matter how good, and kidnapping him while he is on a vacation with no weapons or equipment and then dropping him in a strange jungle does not make for a very challenging target. And don't even get me started on the killer doctor who can identify and synthesize drugs from plants he has never seen on an alien world. Or the mass murderer who has nothing and no ability to plan who gets taken from prison with nothing. Terrible plot.

Blade Runner was a drama than got billed as an action sci-fi movie because that was what was popular in sci-fi at the time. It is slow because dramas are slow. Sort of like how people dislike Walking Dead now because there are not enough zombie scenes.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yeah I remember this. I especially like the 2 back to back episodes where he suddenly found himself in the vietnam war as part of younger brother's seal team

And the series never got a proper ending....just the narration "He never made it back home."

Reactions: AMcguyver