Guest viewing is limited

Fire In Shinjuku's Golden Gai Area

TAG Manager

Executive Leadership
Reaction score
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
The entire area is a huge firetrap with ancient wiring and wooden construction - I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner, and thankful that it didn't happen at night when the bars would have been packed.

The entire area is a huge firetrap with ancient wiring and wooden construction - I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner, and thankful that it didn't happen at night when the bars would have been packed.

Completely agree... but that's exactly why I'm surprised that more didn't go up in flames. I'm going to take a walk over there to see what I can see during lunch.

In the news:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/fire-damages-tokyos-famous-golden-gai-bar-district

It will be interesting to see what happens to those properties after the mess is cleaned up. It could start a ripple of change in the area depending what what will be done with that space that will most likely be demolished. I'm surprised that more didn't burn.

rocketnews24 has an interesting article speculating on the ulterior motives for the fire:

Here’s why some are speculating yesterday’s Golden Gai fire was connected to the Olympics

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/04/...olden-gai-fire-was-connected-to-the-olympics/

Reactions: calippo
Completely agree... but that's exactly why I'm surprised that more didn't go up in flames. I'm going to take a walk over there to see what I can see during lunch.
They sent a big amound of firetrucks to stop it. Still impressive.

In the news:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/fire-damages-tokyos-famous-golden-gai-bar-district

It will be interesting to see what happens to those properties after the mess is cleaned up. It could start a ripple of change in the area depending what what will be done with that space that will most likely be demolished. I'm surprised that more didn't burn.

I heard the gangs in Shinjuku are already fighting about it.

Reactions: Wwanderer
This is close to my house and i was in the area when it happened. I breathed in some smoke and was horrified that people might have died and that i was breathing in their burned bodies but thankfully that was not the case.

Also saw and insame amound of police cars in the area.

I strongly dislike the golden gai, it's old and dirty. For that quality of old, small bars you'd expect cheap alcohol at least but no, prices are normal to expensive.
Really not worth going to more than once imo.

The second time since i'm living here that some old building in kabuki cho catches fire, ugh.

The second time since i'm living here that some old building in kabuki cho catches fire, ugh.

Maybe it's because you're so smokin' hot!!!
fire-heart-961194_960_720.jpg

Is the place safe for tourist who is a first timer to tokyo? Kindly advise.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland