First song of your day

Well it's all right, even if they say you're wrong
Well it's all right, sometimes you gotta be strong
Well it's all right, as long as you got somewhere to lay
Well it's all right, everyday is Judgement Day

— George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan

Reactions: Ken1988

Good morning music.

I’ve always liked the extended instrumental intro in this hit Temptations song: a base guitar part with hi-hat cymbals drumming then followed by other instruments, including a trumpet solo and the very 70s wah-wah electric guitar effects pedal.

Now I’m all set to go hiking.

55194209-9FA5-475A-9046-33E0F6331982.jpeg

Reactions: shadowboxer
I like the pseudonym Adam Yauch used as a director of this video: Nathanial Hörnblowér

I’ve always liked the extended instrumental intro in this hit Temptations song: a base guitar part with hi-hat cymbals drumming then followed by other instruments, including a trumpet solo and the very 70s wah-wah electric guitar effects pedal.

Now I’m all set to go hiking.

Now with added Danzig! (Sorry it's so good I couldn't resist)

Reactions: Cinnabums
I didn't know this band, but appreciate this one as the Discover Mix's first choice of the day today.

An old favourite - the name of the band is actually just "The Beat", they got called the English Beat in North America, and the British Beat in Australia/NZ.

Their bassist and guitarist found their way into Fine Young Cannibals after The Beat split up in the early 80s.

Which leads to my first song.....

Reactions: hrbb
That's for the friends of Osaka (@Keihan et al.)

You just had to go there, huh? And some other SOB here posted this for me a year or two ago, irritated the fuck out of me. The really fucked up part is that this stupid ass video actually makes me all nostalgic, that street where those hags are dancing in particular. I know that stupid street like a favorite Playboy mag from 1999, down to the way it smells. That's directly out the rear exit of my beloved Spa World plaza, down the steps and about fifty yards toward Tsutenkaku. I've gotten hammered at every kushikatsu joint on that street; I've failed at trying to pick up skank hotties on that street; I've succeeded in picking up a deranged old woman on that street; I've urinated in the storm drains on that street; I've watched classy Osakan women squat and piss in aforementioned storm drains on that street; and I even broke up with a girlfriend on that street, which resulted in her screaming and wailing and swearing in garbage Osaka-ben right out in the open, which would be wildly inappropriate in Tokyo but it's just Friday night in Minami, Osaka.

Thanks for that trip down memory lane, asshole.

You just had to go there, huh? And some other SOB here posted this for me a year or two ago, irritated the fuck out of me. The really fucked up part is that this stupid ass video actually makes me all nostalgic, that street where those hags are dancing in particular. I know that stupid street like a favorite Playboy mag from 1999, down to the way it smells. That's directly out the rear exit of my beloved Spa World plaza, down the steps and about fifty yards toward Tsutenkaku. I've gotten hammered at every kushikatsu joint on that street; I've failed at trying to pick up skank hotties on that street; I've succeeded in picking up a deranged old woman on that street; I've urinated in the storm drains on that street; I've watched classy Osakan women squat and piss in aforementioned storm drains on that street; and I even broke up with a girlfriend on that street, which resulted in her screaming and wailing and swearing in garbage Osaka-ben right out in the open, which would be wildly inappropriate in Tokyo but it's just Friday night in Minami, Osaka.

You're welcome.

The only thing I wonder is actually how many years you are separated from these memories and especially the Spa World.

Sometime ago I was forced to take a trip to Osaka (yes I charged a stupidly high amount for that) and I visited both Tobita and Spa World.

While I was pretty impressed by the talent in Tobita the Spa World was just a mediocre bath house in desperate need of renovation.

Reactions: Keihan
The only thing I wonder is actually how many years you are separated from these memories and especially the Spa World.

Sometime ago I was forced to take a trip to Osaka (yes I charged a stupidly high amount for that) and I visited both Tobita and Spa World.

While I was pretty impressed by the talent in Tobita the Spa World was just a mediocre bath house in desperate need of renovation.

I believe my first visit to Spa World was in 2005, and my last was March of 2020. And if all goes according to plan, I'll be back in my kingdom in March of 2022. No doubt, Spa World is a fucking dump compared to any super sento onsen in Tokyo...but there's just something endearing about that place. It might just be that the trauma of living in Osaka for an extended period of time changes your psyche just a bit and you begin gravitating toward things most people consider absolute shit. But it does matter: did you go to the "Asia" floor (6F) or the "Europe" floor (4F)? Asia is definitely my favorite, as the akasuri room is outside next to the rotenburo and right next to the bar/restaurant area, so I can alternate between sitting bareass naked at the bar inhaling 800Y Super Dry cups and sitting in the boiling hot rotenburo, all the while within sight of the akasuri room so I can see when the Korean mamasan comes out to scream my name and it's my turn to get my asshole scrubbed whilst drunkenly urinating on the table and enjoying the sensation.

It's probably just an Osaka thing, and a "When in Rome" thing, not unlike why I make it a point to take a shit in a squat toilet at least once every time I go back to Japan. The nostalgia has a cathartic effect, not unlike getting a blowjob at a public park. I squat down to drop a deuce and all of a sudden it's 2003 again, I'm hovering over the hole in a suburban Osaka Daiei during my lunch break at NOVA trying not to shit on the floor, the Daiei Hawks fight song is blaring over the PA and there's a 19yo receptionist girl from the nearby Konami Sports Club waiting for me to come back and finish lunch at the food court because after our shifts are done we're headed back to my subsidized NOVA 1k shoebox apartment to go at it on the floor on my free company-provided futon while I try to ignore the fact that the light from the TV set is revealing the nipple hair on her adolescent-boy-sized breasts...and I still managed to blow a load in two minutes tops. The wonders of youth.

Sod off you lot. This is for the first song of your day, not the first song you think will get a rise. Back to business.

An old favourite - the name of the band is actually just "The Beat", they got called the English Beat in North America, and the British Beat in Australia/NZ.

Their bassist and guitarist found their way into Fine Young Cannibals after The Beat split up in the early 80s.

Which leads to my first song.....

Wow, a couple of great bands that bring back good memories. I remember wearing a yellow English Beat t-shirt in high school. Another band with origins from The Beat is General Public.

The Beat, Fine Young Cannibals, and General Public got me thinking of another favorite, Aztec Camera. Not one of their better known songs, but a great upbeat song to start the day.