Guest viewing is limited

Foreign Pub: Suggestions?

Fifty Fifty

TAG Member
Reaction score
All bars are foreign in a way. Wondering if anyone can suggest a foreign-owned bar in the Central parts of Tokyo? Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi etc. Not a nightclub, a ‘Hub’, a ‘Dubliners’ or ‘I know a guy’ type place. Just a proper drinking spot. Hobgoblin use to be good for it, but it’s been run down. I’m looking to support a foreign-own business that has surely had a rough go of it. Thanks

Last edited:
I think Devil Craft, although it is awesome and the various shops have a bar counter, is more of a restaurant vibe. I often see a lot of white guys there bringing in their first dates in hot pants for some deep dish. Thankfully it’s only the ladies in the hot pants. Why the guys think it’s a good first date spot I surely don’t know…

My recommendation for Devil Craft is to keep it for going out with the bros to share a pie. Definitely a good time but of course nothing like how @Ken4fb shares a pie I’d imagine. :)

I think Devil Craft, although it is awesome and the various shops have a bar counter, is more of a restaurant vibe. I often see a lot of white guys there bringing in their first dates in hot pants for some deep dish. Thankfully it’s only the ladies in the hot pants. Why the guys think it’s a good first date spot I surely don’t know…

My recommendation for Devil Craft is to keep it for going out with the bros to share a pie. Definitely a good time but of course nothing like how @Ken4fb shares a pie I’d imagine. :)
I do agree about the vibe. There is a high chance for me to run into someone I know from work. I only brought one of the ladies there. That was after the deed in a hotel . Other times I will just do a take away and shares pizza and beer with the lady.

Two fingers is nice especially if you sit outside.

Without a doubt, Devil Craft. American-owned, decent food and the best craft brews I've had in Japan (especially the darker stuff). I've only been to the Gotanda and Kanda locations (for pretty obvious reasons) but Kanda was my usual spot for years whenever I was in Tokyo. Smaller and usually has a more limited brew selection compared to Gotanda, but I like the vibe on the first floor. Come in at opening, pull up a chair at the bar next to the other washed-up, burned-out expats, most of whom end up being fellow Americans who came up during the same time I did in the same racket. Bitch about wives, girlfriends, the NOVA experience back in 2001, Japanese government, Chinese tourists and life in general for a couple of hours while I get utterly shitfaced off the chocolate stout and 12% barley wine. And there were always some very cool young girls working the bar counter, all of whom had lived stateside for several years so they were very fluent in English. Granted, it isn't a cheap option--I could easily rack up a 20k bill by myself--but I doubt most people would drink as much as I do at a bar counter alone.

DC was where I went when I was in Japan and wanted to feel like I was back home for a few hours. No idea what the situation is like now but if they're still doing happy hour you can't possibly go wrong. Just be careful with the barley wine. I got so fucking hammered once I think I pissed myself in the hotel bed later that night.

I have been in the Gotanda place couple of times and while the beer selection is great I would not feed their pizza to my dog. As said it's also pretty pricey and the staff has always been pretty cold.

Of course I believe it's because I have always been there with someone cuter than them so they are pissed they don't have a chance to hit on me.

I mean why not think like that, it's free.

I have been in the Gotanda place couple of times and while the beer selection is great I would not feed their pizza to my dog. As said it's also pretty pricey and the staff has always been pretty cold.

Of course I believe it's because I have always been there with someone cuter than them so they are pissed they don't have a chance to hit on me.

I mean why not think like that, it's free.

That's why I stick to the onion rings and fries. The pizza you abhor is the expat rendition of Chicago deep-dish made with the limited resources available in Japan. I've had actual Chicago deep-dish plenty of times, and while DC's version is similar, the problem is I fucking hate Chicago deep-dish to begin with. Leave it to bunch of midwestern degenerates to get a fucking pie crust and dump three pounds of shit into it and call it a pizza. On a related note, if you're ever in Chicago, go to a real Italian pizza joint, skip the pizza and get the beef sandwich, instead. That's like a college fuck-fest in your mouth.

But yeah, Gotanda staff aren't great. I think the layout tends to create a more standoffish environment. They used to have this cute young tomboy thing working there around 2018-ish, lived in Texas for a few years and was fun as shit, but I believe she's long gone. But then again, just about every time I ever stopped at the Gotanda shop I'd just come from Tonbo so I was already in a decidedly good mood with smooth skin, drained balls and the essence of 45yo Korean Lady all over my torso.

Come in at opening, pull up a chair at the bar next to the other washed-up, burned-out expats, most of whom end up being fellow Americans who came up during the same time I did in the same racket. Bitch about wives, girlfriends, the NOVA experience back in 2001, Japanese government, Chinese tourists and life in general for a couple of hours while I get utterly shitfaced

Thank you. This is exactly what I’m looking for~

not one person mentioned Antenna America? Otherwise known as A.A. :)

BRO! let me drop this beauty on you..

This was my spot before I moved out of Kanto... it has it all!!!

...Unmatched beer selection, amazing bar food and a good place to chat up the locals
https://www.antenna-america.com/pages/yokohama

I love devil\s craft but, like previously mentioned , its more restaurant than bar

I've come to learn that AA has opened up 2 new spots, one in Yaesu and the other in Shinagawa.. (i can't speak on them since Ive never been, but definitely check out the one in Yokohama) I just hope they open one up here in fukuoka :-(

If you've been to the one in Yokohama let me know, and if you've been to any of the new locations what was it like?

Last edited:
Reactions: superbowl1999

...Unmatched beer selection, amazing bar food and a good place to chat up the locals

I love devil\s craft but, like previously mentioned , its more restaurant than bar

I've come to learn that AA has opened up 2 new spots, one in Yaesu and the other in Shinagawa.. (i can't speak on them since Ive never been, but definitely check out the one in Yokohama) I just hope they open one up here in fukuoka :-(

If you've been to the one in Yokohama let me know, and if you've been to any of the new locations what was it like?

Is this place foreign owned? I think that was the main point. To support foreign owned bar.

I would have suggested Thai or Philippines pubs but they aren't my area of expertise. Maybe @MikeH can recommend those.

Is this place foreign owned? I think that was the main point. To support foreign owned bar.

I would have suggested Thai or Philippines pubs but they aren't my area of expertise. Maybe @MikeH can recommend those.
Yes, foreign owned, the owner is from southern California... i forget his name

Reactions: Ken4fb
If anyone is near Yokohama Chinatown, Ishikawacho, you can check out Benny's Place. Not sure of their hours post Covid, but owned by that TV personality (Japanese-American) Shelly's father.

how can i forget that gem! they also serve up TGIF style food, plus Benny is a cool guy

I tried Yaesu but it feels a little out of place - that whole damn underground maze thing and being in-between a shoe store and a Hokkaido goods store just a little off-putting, and probably nowhere nearby to piss.

Reactions: yeti
I tried Yaesu but it feels a little out of place - that whole damn underground maze thing and being in-between a shoe store and a Hokkaido goods store just a little off-putting, and probably nowhere nearby to piss.

no good huh? sorry to hear that.