Guest viewing is limited

Foreigner friendly bank reccomendations?

omar gonzales

TAG Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

Looking for good ATM coverage, credit card facility and online access.

English language service would help too.

Shinsei bank English phone support, online banking and international ATM

Reactions: just4fun
They're stopping their international ATM service, as well as stopping ATM fee waivers for low-balance customers.
Both things you posted are for Just low balance customers?

They're stopping their international ATM service, as well as stopping ATM fee waivers for low-balance customers.
I had a look at their web site. Support for with drawls from overseas ends December 8, 2018. Apparently they've come out with a new card, GAICA Flex prepaid card, which will let you make with drawls overseas.

Reactions: Simonka
Shinsei sucks dick.

I agree, but they use way too much teeth. The only reason people always recommend them is you can manage your relationship in English. Other than that they do suck as bad as any other bank in Japan.

Though Sumitomo has managed to raise even one level higher in suckiness, their way of refusing all transactions with anything than exactly the same way of writing kana as in the bank book is sometimes hilarious.

I agree, but they use way too much teeth. The only reason people always recommend them is you can manage your relationship in English. Other than that they do suck as bad as any other bank in Japan.

Though Sumitomo has managed to raise even one level higher in suckiness, their way of refusing all transactions with anything than exactly the same way of writing kana as in the bank book is sometimes hilarious.
They all suck suck suck suck.

Wait what? Im not going to be able to withdraw money overseas using my shinsei card?

Yes. It’s a shocker. Need to get at least one more card. Need to have at least two.

Any other banks in the developed world, im pretty sure dont even count overseas withdrawals as a ‘service’ its just an expected thing you can expect. Ugh thats so fucking stupid and annoying.

Do the major banks like smbc have atm cards that work overseas?

Any other banks in the developed world, im pretty sure dont even count overseas withdrawals as a ‘service’ its just an expected thing you can expect. Ugh thats so fucking stupid and annoying.

Do the major banks like smbc have atm cards that work overseas?
Yea most cards will work but not everywhere and not always. My shinsei card had a better batting average than my Mizuho card. Shinsei is obviously trying to improve profits by cutting non-accretive services. Bad move.

Reactions: cabbie
Yea most cards will work but not everywhere and not always. My shinsei card had a better batting average than my Mizuho card. Shinsei is obviously trying to improve profits by cutting non-accretive services. Bad move.
Thanks, i have a legacy citibank (now smbc trust) account so if smbc do overseas i can just ditch my shinsei acct and use smbc for daily and overseas use.

I’m one of the injured parties of shinsei’s new policy. :( I’m planning a vacation soon and I will have to look into this prepaid card option..

I’m one of the injured parties of shinsei’s new policy. :( I’m planning a vacation soon and I will have to look into this prepaid card option..
I received Shinsei Bank’s GAICA Flex prepaid card a couple of weeks ago and the good thing about it is that if you transfer money to the card from your bank account and later you decide you want to transfer it back into your account, you can. I wasn’t allowed to do that with my other prepaid card (V-Preca VISA).

I received Shinsei Bank’s GAICA Flex prepaid card a couple of weeks ago and the good thing about it is that if you transfer money to the card from your bank account and later you decide you want to transfer it back into your account, you can. I wasn’t allowed to do that with my other prepaid card (V-Preca VISA).
Thank you very much for this information. I’m not a huge fan of prepaid cards, but if the amount could be transferred back to my account then it’s not a big deal.

Reactions: MissInsomnia
their way of refusing all transactions with anything than exactly the same way of writing kana as in the bank book is sometimes hilarious.

A diligent focus on the letter of the law in Japan will do that.

I am so looking forward for startups to start disrupting this market, as they are doing in Europe.

That's really really annoying. I created my Shinsei account specifically because they were part of the Plus network without me needing to jump through any additional hoops. I'm probably going to make a MUFG account this summer out of sheer spite.

I've heard that 7 bank owned by 7-11 has ATM cards which can be used overseas. Does anyone have first hand knowledge?

I've heard that 7 bank owned by 7-11 has ATM cards which can be used overseas. Does anyone have first hand knowledge?
You mean the JCB debit card? I have it and it works very well. I like their online banking service too.. much more modern and easier to use than Shinsei Bank’s.

I was told ATM card, but maybe the guy that told me meant JCB card. The conversation was in a pub so....

I was told ATM card, but maybe the guy that told me meant JCB card. The conversation was in a pub so....
I think they’re the same thing because I couldn’t find any info on other cards issued by 7-Bank. It’s actually a cash card with JCB debit card service and a Nanaco point card feature. Anyway, I used the card when I visited Indonesia and Singapore recently and was able to withdraw some cash without any issues.