Fucked by Line

MikeH

Presumably Male
Reaction score
Or actually it should be how not to get fucked because of Line.

So as not to let a somewhat bad week end without the final fuck you note from the world to Uncle Mike this happens. A certain person I have grown pretty fond of during the years tells me she is getting the new iPhone X.

Today I notice all my Line messages to her since from about the time she should have received the phone are still unread. Well, this happens sometimes when you switch phones, Line gets confused and you just need to add the person again and it connects again.

Except this time when I try to add her with the phone number I have it says that number doesn't exist. So she must have gotten a new number, probably from another provider. No biggie, right? She can just add me from her side and all is good again.

And then I realise I changed my number a while ago and forgot to tell her. No need, as we were in daily contact by Line anyway, right? So now I have her Line account on my phone which doesn't work and a phone number that is not valid anymore. And she just has my old phone number and nothing else.

Fuck this smartphone shit and give me back my old landline and fax, at least I wouldn't have to lose a great friend with wonderful benefits because of them. Like they say in the song: Hello Johnny, my old friend, I'm come to see you once again.

Sorry to hear about the troubles Mike. That really sucks. I really don't know much about Line as I barely use it but I hope you two find each other again somehow.

Reactions: MikeH

So as not to let a somewhat bad week end without the final fuck you note from the world to Uncle Mike this happens. A certain person I have grown pretty fond of during the years tells me she is getting the new iPhone X.

Today I notice all my Line messages to her since from about the time she should have received the phone are still unread. Well, this happens sometimes when you switch phones, Line gets confused and you just need to add the person again and it connects again.

Except this time when I try to add her with the phone number I have it says that number doesn't exist. So she must have gotten a new number, probably from another provider. No biggie, right? She can just add me from her side and all is good again.

And then I realise I changed my number a while ago and forgot to tell her. No need, as we were in daily contact by Line anyway, right? So now I have her Line account on my phone which doesn't work and a phone number that is not valid anymore. And she just has my old phone number and nothing else.

Fuck this smartphone shit and give me back my old landline and fax, at least I wouldn't have to lose a great friend with wonderful benefits because of them. Like they say in the song: Hello Johnny, my old friend, I'm come to see you once again.

That's still too new tech. Use mail pigeons or smoke signs. Or have a reserve of medieval messengers on horses who get killed upon arrival but hey that's how we did correspondence across the Channel for centuries

No chance you can find each other by LINE id ?

If we only knew each other's Line IDs. :eek:

In the beginning we exchanged phone numbers and then later added each other using those. No Line IDs were never exchanged. :cry::cry::cry:

Sorry to hear that. That must be so frustrated!!! If you know her phone number, then there's hope, though.

I got messed up with my personal LINE account, as well, since I got my iPhone 8 in Oct. LINE ask you verification these days with new iphones. My phone can't verify myself, that it won't accept new friends search. Couldn't find someone,.I tried to add recently. But quite funnily, my work boss found my LINE ID through my personal phone number I gave the other day, and he added me as friends, which I didn't validate! lol. How could that happened?? We can text through our phones is enough...

If we only knew each other's Line IDs. :eek:

In the beginning we exchanged phone numbers and then later added each other using those. No Line IDs were never exchanged. :cry::cry::cry:

Why don't you call her? or text her number and see her phone number is still available???

Line is such a train wreck. No idea why people keep using it.
Because it works? And it's fairly anonymous?
I'm not saying it's the best application but it's heavily used in Japan and I rarely meet people that don't use it.

I've only had one issue with LINE and that turned out to be my own fault as I later found out.

If you care about being in contact with someone, make sure you have a backup like a email address or working phone number.
I would't solely rely on a messaging app where it's the one single point of failure (potentially) that could cut you off.

Does she have Facebook? Or any other social media you can contact her?

Nope, neither of us are part of this great SNS thing. The only forum I am active is TAG and I guess I didn't mention it to her. Though she would have been totally OK with it so maybe I should have!

I'm a determined guy when I want to be so I'd probably stakeout all her known hangouts private investigator style until I ran into her.

As mentioned in another thread that's why love hotels are so great places. Better chances of avoiding stalkers and other creeps. :p

Why don't you call her? or text her number and see her phone number is still available???

As said she changed her number with the phone.

Line is such a train wreck. No idea why people keep using it.

The idea of using a phone number as an ID is so 90's. Why can't they do the confirmation via fax, wouldn't make much difference anymore.

I'm not saying it's best application but it's heavily used in Japan and I rarely meet people that don't use it.

Seems everyone in Europe and SE Asia is in Whatsapp for what's it worth. Have never really used it so can't comment.

But I did have two points of contact, just that changing one of them fucked up both. Independent systems and all that, should have know better.

If the phone number you have is the one that was active until recently, try calling it. Depending on which carrier it came from, they might have set a "this number is no longer active, please call (new number) instead" message to play for like a month or something.

I know Docomo did this when I disconnected my service with them.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Seems everyone in Europe and SE Asia is in Whatsapp for what's it worth. Have never really used it so can't comment.
If I recall, WhatsApp reveals your actual phone number? I'm not quite sure... but it's something I remember seeing that turned me away from the app.
LINE you can use a QR code, which can be cancelled or changed. Also LINE ID, which cannot be changed (that I know of) but I usually stick with giving out QR codes instead of LINE ID.

Line is the biggest piece of shit. I get wanting to tie an account to a phone number, but they really screw this up often. I have heard this story at least a dozen times from a dozen different people. I am glad I do not rely on line for anything.

LINE you can use a QR code, which can be cancelled or changed. Also LINE ID, which cannot be changed (that I know of) but I usually stick with giving out QR codes instead of LINE ID.

I actually didn't know you can cancel a QR code. Good to know!

The ID cannot be changed and in this particular case it would be the key for the victory. But you cannot see it from the account as LINE hides it. Even if you have added the person through their ID it still won't show in the application.

I actually didn't know you can cancel a QR code. Good to know!

The ID cannot be changed and in this particular case it would be the key for the victory. But you cannot see it from the account as LINE hides it. Even if you have added the person through their ID it still won't show in the application.
LINE ID's can be shared with people that you may not want to share it with.... so you just wind up blocking people. QR code, even if shared to someone that shouldn't have it, can be revoked and reissued. But yes, LINE ID doesn't show on your friend's profile, only when you search/add them.

Such 和!

wa.jpg

Reactions: FanBoy74