Giving notice when leaving a job in Japan?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is going to be my first time quitting a job in Japan.

My boss mentioned once that because he will need time to find a new teacher, to give him a month or two months notice if I ever want to leave.

I plan to message him tonight via Line about giving a month notice. It would be too stressful to bring this up face to face as he hates me and he would probably complain.

I want to take advantage of the jobs available starting in January and it would be a month notice...enough time yes?

Has anyone had their boss resent them after giving notice and like make their life hell at work or gave them a terrible reference when other schools called when deciding to hire you?

Giving bad references is technically illegal in the US, but this is Japan...so I have no idea lol.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
If your boss already hates you, I don’t think resigning via LINE would improve his opinion. Kinda like breaking up by text.

Inform him (verbally) of your intention to resign, look up how to write a resignation letter in Japanese, then present it to him a few days later.

Doing things formally and properly will probably reduce any backlash since you did things in keeping with custom. Better than, for example, just LINE messaging and then not showing up.

You don't need to write it in Japanese but just write a letter & hand it to him or her in person. It can be a printed letter that you sign with the dates of your very last day one month later.
Don't do it by Line.
If you want better jobs in the future think & act better job mentality. Quitting by Line or Facebook wouldn't even be thought of as an option.

Hand him a signed letter. Then send him a mail of the same letter to create a time stamp. Tell him whatever he wants to hear until you get your final pay in full.

You need to do it in writing. As in, you need to hand your boss a piece of paper.

If he refuses to accept it (some managers can be a PITA about it) then mail it to the company by registered mail.

Keep a copy of the letter for yourself. You'll want it for reference if the boss decides to later claim that you didn't give adequate notice or that you didn't actually resign.

Legally, your boss cannot discuss any facet of your employment with anyone outside the company because of privacy law.

Ok, I will inform him verbally and write a letter in English to date and sign. I don't think he will refuse to sign this letter.

Is it common that former bosses will still give you a bad reference to other companies even if you do things the customary way?

Another worry I have is quitting this job and then not being able to score any full time teaching jobs anywhere in Japan just because I don't have a damn 4 year degree...

Is it common that former bosses will still give you a bad reference to other companies even if you do things the customary way?

It's not generally customary for Japanese employers to give a reference of any kind.

It's not generally customary for Japanese employers to give a reference of any kind.

If that is the case, then the company you are applying at will usually not even ask for a reference or ask about my work ethic, personality, etc over the phone?

Do they only call to confirm when I started and finished working at a particular school?

Ok, I will inform him verbally and write a letter in English to date and sign. I don't think he will refuse to sign this letter.

Another worry I have is quitting this job and then not being able to score any full time teaching jobs anywhere in Japan just because I don't have a damn 4 year degree...
If you dont have your next job lined up, you shouldn't quit. Why would you?

Reactions: JaquesAfrog
If that is the case, then the company you are applying at will usually not even ask for a reference or ask about my work ethic, personality, etc over the phone?

Do they only call to confirm when I started and finished working at a particular school?

Often they won't even do that.

Foreign global companies do ask for personal references & they do call. I have been called for several people that were under me that quit.

I have been asked to provide references which the prospective employer did call and discuss my background with so it does happen. But it was left up to me who I chose as my references. Luckily for me I had a couple former bosses who thought I was a rock star in my field so it went well for me.

Foreign global companies do ask for personal references & they do call. I have been called for several people that were under me that quit.

Sure - I was specifically referring to Japanese companies.

And privacy law still means you're not allowed to say anything negative about the person - technically you're not allowed to say anything positive either, but nobody ever sues over that :)

Sure - I was specifically referring to Japanese companies.

And privacy law still means you're not allowed to say anything negative about the person - technically you're not allowed to say anything positive either, but nobody ever sues over that :)

Ahh so Japan does have a similar system with regard to not being allowed to say negative things about former employees like in the US.

If you dont have your next job lined up, you shouldn't quit. Why would you?

Well, I work part-time at two different schools and I would be holding onto one which gives me a schedule I can more easily work around.

I also teach enough private students to be able to quit this job and still be alright until I line up something else.

I usually never quit a job until I have another lined up, but I have had a situation where numerous companies weren't willing to wait for me to give a month or two notice at my current job and they were really unreasonable about it...

Last edited:
Ahh so Japan does have a similar system with regard to not being allowed to say negative things about former employees like in the US.

There's the privacy law, and there's also the anti-defamation statutes. Basically, if your former employer runs their mouth about you, you can sue them over it.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Check your contract for the notice period. It is typically 30 days.

You can also burn up unused paid leave during this time as well. For example, give notice and work two more weeks. Then take two weeks of paid holiday before leaving their books.

However the contractual notice period is trumped by civil law code which has 2 weeks. So if push comes to shove, you can leave after two.

In either case, if it is swift and without much warning or help from your side, do not expect them to give recommendations or spread good news.

And yes, it needs to be printed or handwritten. Your name, leaving date, and reason for leaving. “Personal reasons” is adequate. Should be addressed to the president with the company’s name on it as well. Have it ready when you first break rhe news to show your resolve.

Is my hesitancy to leave this job for fear that I won't be able to score a full-time job without a 4 year degree a reasonable fear to have?

Here in Shizuoka, there aren't many schools, so my job hunting experience here has been that all the public schools (ALT positions) require a 4 year degree even if you are already legal to work in Japan (have a Spouse of Japanese National visa) and that the only jobs that act reasonable when negotiating a job with someone with almost 10 years teaching experience + a spouse visa in lieu of a 4 year degree are the bottom of the barrel eikaiwa that only offer part time positions...

Is this pretty much how it is in much bigger cities like Tokyo or Yokohama or are there actually a number of schools in these cities that offer full-time even to applicants that don't have a 4 year degree?

Is my hesitancy to leave this job for fear that I won't be able to score a full-time job without a 4 year degree a reasonable fear to have?
From what you described, yes.
You probably know the 'English teacher' job market better than most here.
I wouldn't quit any job unless it was really shitty and/or there was a substantial pay rise on offer somewhere else.

Here in Shizuoka, there aren't many schools, so my job hunting experience here has been that all the public schools (ALT positions) require a 4 year degree even if you are already legal to work in Japan (have a Spouse of Japanese National visa) and that the only jobs that act reasonable when negotiating a job with someone with almost 10 years teaching experience + a spouse visa in lieu of a 4 year degree are the bottom of the barrel eikaiwa
It's sad since nowadays, every man and his dog has a degree (can be bought), but having substantive experience is rare.

From what you described, yes.
You probably know the 'English teacher' job market better than most here.
I wouldn't quit any job unless it was really shitty and/or there was a substantial pay rise on offer somewhere else.

It's sad since nowadays, every man and his dog has a degree (can be bought), but having substantive experience is rare.

Yes, you are right it is sad. When this January comes around, I will have exactly ten years English teaching experience. I keep coming across forums where people talk about buying and using fake degrees, but I really don't want to try that as it is risky and just doesn't sit well with me. It sounds like you feel the same way.

Then again, a dog smart enough to buy his own fake degree is quite the genius. :ROFLMAO:

dog-on-computer.jpg

I've heard of people using fake degrees before to help them score jobs but that's risky and only at eikaiwas. It only takes one phone call to potentially unravel your bid for a job that way if they ever care to have someone check on it. A decent job at a real school (not an eikaiwa) might be inclined to verify but I don't know that for certain.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
You need to get out of Shizuoka. Also you need to find a better class of person to hang out with. Your life sounds like a Guy Richie movie sometimes. Hanging out with deadbeats brings you to their level.

You need to get out of Shizuoka. Also you need to find a better class of person to hang out with. Your life sounds like a Guy Richie movie sometimes. Hanging out with deadbeats brings you to their level.

It is funny you mention this because there is a deadbeat type I used to hangout with, but I stopped all contact with him about a year ago. I do feel like he is going nowhere in his life and he even looks a little like me in like 10 years...creepy.

I look at it as something that fuels my determination to improve myself lol.

Now when you suggest I get out of Shizuoka, do you mean I should get out only to get away from deadbeats or because there are actually full-time jobs available for people without 4 year degrees in other cities? lol

Reactions: MossBoss
when you suggest I get out of Shizuoka,

You're in the Japanese equivalent of the Ozarks. The bigger the city, the more cracks to squeak through.