Go To Travel / Go To Eat: your feedback?

Frenchy

Peace, Love and Camembert
Reaction score
Never used coz I am a dumbass but thinking about it for next onsen trip.
Was it easy and really cheaper for you guys?
Which travel agencies / websites are the best for the bookings?

The thought has crossed my mind but I'm clueless like you

The thought has crossed my mind but I'm clueless like you
Looks like you can get 50% back on up to 20,000 yen per person per night , partly in discount partly in vouchers to be used in restaurants, gift shops etc
Sounds really generous
I wonder whether love hotels are eligible? And coupons can be used for ... hmmm.... massages?:D

Well obviously domestic only , its supposed to help the local Japanese tourism

I may make use of it very soon for an Onsen trip. I’m feeling extra sore these days.
I wish I could just go home for a couple of weeks. I’ve started to feel homesick already and it’s dreadful to think about how long it will take until we can reunite with my family.
Living in Japan is easier for people who don’t have any friends in their home country or close family ties...

I may make use of it very soon for an Onsen trip. I’m feeling extra sore these days.
I wish I could just go home for a couple of weeks. I’ve started to feel homesick already and it’s dreadful to think about how long it will take until we can reunite with my family.
Living in Japan is easier for people who don’t have any friends in their home country or close family ties...
Agreed. Really start to miss my tribe too

Well obviously domestic only , its supposed to help the local Japanese tourism
And it will help the virus to spread. I am sure that soon when the number of infections go up again this campaign will be suspended or put on hold.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
And it will help the virus to spread. I am sure that soon when the number of infections go up again this campaign will be suspended or put on hold.
It nearly happened already. And thats why Tokyo residents could not use it until Oft 1st. But it seems that the campaign is popular after all. It’s all about trade offs... and its not easy. But I could understand why many people think helping a big sector of the economy is also important. Lets face it , Covid19 mostly kills old people who would die soon anyway. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care but at what point putting thousands of businesses in bankruptcy and millions out of a job is « worth it »?

I booked mostly through bookings.com on my last trip that was just end of September - start of October. For the hotels that were included they dropped 35% of the list price already at booking time. You just had to add your prefecture when making the booking. In the middle of my trip they then added Tokyo to the list.

At one place I was given a voucher at the check-in that could be used at restaurant but then the web site informed me there where like 3 restaurants total that accepted it. But generally it was very straight forward to use.

And as far as I know no love hotels are included. Yes, I did check. :p

I booked mostly through bookings.com on my last trip that was just end of September - start of October. For the hotels that were included they dropped 35% of the list price already at booking time. You just had to add your prefecture when making the booking. In the middle of my trip they then added Tokyo to the list.

At one place I was given a voucher at the check-in that could be used at restaurant but then the web site informed me there where like 3 restaurants total that accepted it. But generally it was very straight forward to use.

And as far as I know no love hotels are included. Yes, I did check. :p

And I heard that Shinkansen can be included in the 20,000 yen (max) total per person per day which can be subject to discounts. If you book everything through the travel agency. So on a round trip to say Kyoto with a relatively cheap hotel it is really interesting.

Reactions: MikeH
And I heard that Shinkansen can be included in the 20,000 yen (max) total per person per day which can be subject to discounts. If you book everything through the travel agency. So on a round trip to say Kyoto with a relatively cheap hotel it is really interesting.

I think the Shinkansen is not actually part of the GoTo but a separate thing by the JR. But yeah, a friend took his gf to Kyoto for two nights and paid less for the hotel plus Shinkansen than you normally need to shell out for the Shinkansen alone...

Reactions: Frenchy
I think the Shinkansen is not actually part of the GoTo but a separate thing by the JR. But yeah, a friend took his gf to Kyoto for two nights and paid less for the hotel plus Shinkansen than you normally need to shell out for the Shinkansen alone...
The Shinkansen tickets can be gotten under the GoTo campaign when you book a package deal, like a Hotel and Shinkansen, etc. I didn't check any separate program from JR, just saw that the packages were available.

Reactions: Frenchy
Yeah thats what I heard too
But Mikey is also correct: there is now a JR East Norihodai 3-day pass at 12,000 yen for us vile gaijins! Yesssss!
https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2020/10/jr-east-rail-pass/
I'm pumped about this too! Sadly it only covers Tohoku and Nagano/Niigata... (Everywhere I desperately want to travel to in Japan is outside of this area, lmao) But still!
Anyone decided to use this yet, and if so what areas do you guys think would be good?
Yamagata and Nagano sound nice to me.

I'm pumped about this too! Sadly it only covers Tohoku and Nagano/Niigata... (Everywhere I desperately want to travel to in Japan is outside of this area, lmao) But still!
Anyone decided to use this yet, and if so what areas do you guys think would be good?
Yamagata and Nagano sound nice to me.
I will probably use it to go to Aomori .
You should check the other JR companies, maybe they propose similar offers

Reactions: Joe2017 and Juliet
I went last weekend with my Japanese girlfriend to the Kansai area. We were in two luxury ryokans, with private onsen, one of them outside. They applied the Go to Travel discount and we also received ¥19,000 in coupons to spend there in shops and restaurants. My girlfriend was happy shopping omiyage and me junmai daiginjo sake. This is the third time we went out with the Go To Travel, everything went smoothly and without problems. We made reservations directly with the hotels, as they usually care better about the customer experience, giving something extra, rather when the booking is made by websites or travel agencies. Enjoy your trip and have safe travels!

Reactions: MikeH and Frenchy
I wonder whether love hotels are eligible?

No but it’s made normal (business) hotels much more price competitive and in many cases cheaper than using an LH - also great because you’re no longer stuck in Shinjuku/Shibuya/etc. Of course, requires more planning, but not being around to be filmed by TV crews in Kabukicho is worth it. Maybe I will see if I can take my SB to hotels in each of the 23 wards...