Good quality, reasonably priced hosting service in Japan?

Will that work for co.jp?

Does @OP want co.jp?

I know you have to jump through a few extra hoops if you want a co.jp domain. You have to prove that you are a resident first and a lot of registers don't provide them.
Read up (above) a bit... co.jp is only for registered companies in Japan.

Purchase a domain from somewhere else - I do not recommend purchasing a domain through a host provider. Using someone like namecheap, ghandi etc ensures you own your domain and control where it points.

You can buy the domain and have it point to your site, wherever it’s hosted.

Domains need to be renewed each year or paid in multi-year payments.

Well, although I made the website with Wix I think having another domain that connects to the Wix page would cost a lot more as mentioned on their website.

I agree with you though as you have knowledge on the subject.

I don't mind if my domain doesn't end in .co.jp anymore and also since it isn't even possible haha.

Does Wix not really give any control to the website creators (as far as SEO goes)?

I noticed making websites and using the SEO wiz feature are incredibly easy, but is the SEO for Wix really good?

I came across this link last night:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wix.com/blog/2018/05/wix-seo-google-instant-indexing/amp/

Last edited:
Does Wix not really give any control to the website creators (as far as SEO goes)?

I noticed making websites and using the SEO wiz feature are incredibly easy, but is the SEO for Wix really good?
It's good enough for average users.

Please remember content is king over trying SEO tricks. If you have junk content - you will have junk ratings/listing.

Don't buy into the snake oil SEO junk that's out there...

I cannot reiterate it strongly enough to make sure you have your domain on a separate registrar outside of your hosting/web provider.

It's good enough for average users.

Please remember content is king over trying SEO tricks. If you have junk content - you will have junk ratings/listing.

Don't buy into the snake oil SEO junk that's out there...

I cannot reiterate it strongly enough to make sure you have your domain on a separate registrar outside of your hosting/web provider.

But is having my domain on a separate registrar outside of my hosting provider expensive?

There must be a financially reasonable way to do this. Wix charges a ton of money for this option as do other hosting services.

I'm just putting together a private English school website, so it is nothing fancy like a forum like this.

I checked a lot of the other websites to private English schools in the area and the websites are terrible, but these schools are doing good business...

But is having my domain on a separate registrar outside of my hosting provider expensive?

Yeah, I think I pay like 8 bucks a year for that.

Depends on the domain but 8 bucks is average - .jp domains are more expensive as are other vanity domains.

I'm planning to research different domains tonight, but could you name drop some dependable, reasonably priced domains you would recommend?

I have a friend that has a domain that has been paid up for a couple years and that I can use his domain for my website, but I need to get more details about what domain he is using and if the SEO is good.

I didn't forget to also focus on actually having good quality content on my website as well.

I'm planning to research different domains tonight, but could you name drop some dependable, reasonably priced domains you would recommend?
Domain fees are usually universal. The issue is that different domain extensions (.com, .net, .org., .tokyo, .jp etc.) all have different price ranges.
From a professional stand point, you want a registrar that has a clean background in ensuring access and control do your domain records. When I mentioned earlier that you do NOT want your domain and web service controlled by the same company... I'm referring to the possibility that if that ONE company goes under or has a significant outage, it takes your website and domain offline. If you have a proper registrar, you can easily redirect your domain to another server if your site host ever goes down. If the domain is controlled by the same company that hosts your site and goes down, you're screwed until it's fixed. At least you could redirect your domain to a temporary site if the primary host goes down. Morevover, you want to assure that you retain ownership of your domain. Some hosts, if you buy it through them, they retain control of the domain and can hold it hostage... meaning you can't move the domain or redirect it to another server if you change hosts. Having the domain at a proper registrar means you have absolute control over your domain settings as long as you pay the yearly renewal fee for domain. (You never really OWN your domain, it's more of a lease. You pay a yearly 'lease' fee to keep it as your own.)

The companies I've worked with and have been happy with, not any in any specific order:

1. Namecheap (https://www.namecheap.com/)
2. Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/en)
3. GoDaddy (https://www.godaddy.com/)
4. Network Solutions (https://www.networksolutions.com)

Overall, I'm operating 10 different sites spread across these providers, ONLY for the domain registrar portion of their service.
For all of my data services and colocations, I use various contract providers in America, Europe and Asia (Singapore/Japan).

You can research this list of accredited ICANN registrars:
https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accredited-list.html

The domain name has ZERO to do with actual SEO when it comes to the content on your site. Your only catch about the domain name is you really want to have a domain that matches your company name. You don't really want to have a domain that's called matchesstartfires.xyz and your actual company name is something totally unrelated to the domain name.

You can get a doman and setup a website all for about 15,000 yen that will take care of one whole year of hosting and domain registrar services. That price rises when you want a vanity name... for example:

tjb.png

tjb2.png

tjb3.png

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I second this.
This is prob the most important advice on this tread.

Never ever, ever ever get a domain registered thru your provider. As mentioned above , a domain is cheaper than a visit to starbucks. But pay double or so to get your personal details hidden.

Ok, so I decided to let my friend have my website on one of his domains which is hosted by GoDaddy and is paid up for a few years.

I know that it is possible to transfer a website made with a template on one GoDaddy account to another, but I'm not sure if this can only be done between accounts made by the same person or between accounts of two different people?

I noticed that I'm unable to save my progress on the website I'm making using the Godaddy trial account website builder. This is fine and makes sense as it is a trial and I'm not paying anything.

Although I'm unable to save my progress without subscribing to a paid plan, would I be able to make the entire website in one sitting and publish the account and transfer it to my friend's paid GoDaddy account?

I have a feeling that I will most likely not be able to do all this without being prompted to pay for a plan, but my friend doesn't want to make the website for me (which is understandable).

Aside from my friend making the website and me paying for a plan...is there a way around this?

I will also see if my friend's domain is registered outside of Godaddy.

Last edited: