Guest viewing is limited

Guarantor for Job

Kamui16

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am aware that this is not really the place for some reliable legal advice, but some of you are living longer here than I do, so I was hoping for some ideas.

I will change my company in a couple of weeks, but part of the contract papers is a document certifying that I have a guarantor in Japan (身分保証書). One of my friends will likely become my guarantor, but it makes me feel very uncomfortable, as I do not want to feel indepted to him. I will ask my new boss, but I don't think they will let me join the company without a guarantor.
I know that there are guarantor companies for renting an apartment, but I was wondering if something similar exists for work contracts. Do they also accept gaijin?

Thank you for your feedback

I'm not really up to speed on this kind of thing but for a job, when a visa is involved, the company is usually the guarantor. If it's not for visa reasons, why do they need you to have one? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Reactions: Desktop
For this sort of thing, they want a personal guarantor who will vouch for your character. It's very old school, and these days a little dodgy.

For this sort of thing, they want a personal guarantor who will vouch for your character. It's very old school, and these days a little dodgy.
Small company sort of thing? I surely don't see this in bigger firms.

Small company sort of thing? I surely don't see this in bigger firms.
It's an old school Japanese company thing. It's rare now, but you still see it in really conservative old companies sometimes.

It's a sign that the company is going to be VERY Japanese in their management style, if not outright black.

Reactions: Kamui16 and Ken1988
Yeah, never had to do that with any Japanese company. And I've been in some that boast about being old school. :p

Actually, it is a big American company, but operates world wide. It is under Japanese management, but there are a lot of foreign employees working there. This is why I was very surprised, when I saw the guarantor papers in the envelope.

I'm guessing the Japanese branch / subsidiary that you're going to be working for sets its own policies on that. Probably trying to cover their own asses and discourage bad behavior. I dunno.

If it's not a huge deal, I would say just ask your friend graciously to be your guarantor. I mean, nothing could go wrong unless you royally screw up and being free of personal debts to others is overrated. Just an opinion.

Reactions: Kamui16
I also never heard of a personal guarantor needed for a work visa. More people would have work visas if you could select a personal friend.

The guarantor thing is unrelated to my work visa. My previous company sponsored my visa and I do not need to reapply and have my visa changed.
I merely need the guarantor to work at my new company. It is part of the contract papers. If I was Japanese, they would also demand a guarantor. I was surprised as it is a foreign company with foreign employees.

I had to have a warrantor for my last two jobs, but they didn't say that the warrantor had to live in Japan. So I told them that it was my mother, but I just wrote her dog's name. They didn't say it had to be human neither.

Reactions: Kamui16
If you search

Employer asks for “guarantor” to compensate damages due to consultant's “breach of the employment contract”

you can find some discussion about a related issue in the US on the Workplace Stack Exchange. I don't put the link here.

It's an old fashion thing, and I think it is now just a formality in Japan.

Usually, one agrees to be an employee's guarantor without a sufficient amount of information to make a right decision. To protect guarantors, there is a Japanese law 身元保證ニ關スル法律 of 1933(!) which stipulates an employer's duties for a guarantor. It says that the employer must notify the guarantor as to what sort of job/position the employee is engaged in. It also says that the employer must alarm the guarantor when the employee is underperforming or likely to cause a material damage to the employer. I don't think any employer today feels obliged to report such things duly to a guarantor. Hence, when it's brought to a court, the employer's claim is usually rejected for their inaction. Moreover, from April 1, 2020 (in 3 weeks' time), an employer and a guarantor must agree on a maximum amount of liability before entering into a contract. If your job is not something to sell jewelries or deliver cash or ship face masks, I don't think your guarantor should be worried much.

Last edited:
Thank you for the precious advice and information. I just don't want to trouble anyone, because the stuff written in the guarantor contract about criminal liability or compensations sounds very scary. On the other hand, I don't plan to steel information or do whistleblowing, so my guarantor should be safe.
I guess it's a Japanese thing.

Thank you for the precious advice and information. I just don't want to trouble anyone, because the stuff written in the guarantor contract about criminal liability or compensations sounds very scary. On the other hand, I don't plan to steel information or do whistleblowing, so my guarantor should be safe.
I guess it's a Japanese thing.

Then again whistleblowing is protected by law in Japan. So if they are thinking about firing you just report a misconduct and you'll be safe for the next year at least. :p