hello newbie here :)

steelworksinc

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 45, traveling from US, going to be in Tokyo in early December for 3 days, staying in Shiodome area. This is my second visit, and want to try add an extra activity to this short trip. I do had some experience in the subway system early this year.

Last visit, I had YEN exchange in advance before arriving at Tokyo I heard the best way to exchange yen is just withdraw money from ATM. Is that correct?

And I don't know any Japanese. Guess I have a lot of reading to do.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Welcome to TAG! We have plenty of reading material here at TAG that keeps people busy for hours and days at times. (especially new members!)

As for cash --- ATM is just the easiest option, but not necessarily the best rates. I don't go to Shiodome much at all, so I don't know what's in that area that would be a good option. I typically use an exchange counter near Shinjuku which has good rates. The ATM use, while easy, may be costing you more in exchange fees.

Please feel free to ask questions if you cannot find an answer after searching.

Thanks for joining up!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
planning to check out Mori Museum, Nakano Boardway, Arkihabara (if time allow). And good food!

Welcome to TAG! We have plenty of reading material here at TAG that keeps people busy for hours and days at times. (especially new members!)

As for cash --- ATM is just the easiest option, but not necessarily the best rates. I don't go to Shiodome much at all, so I don't know what's in that area that would be a good option. I typically use an exchange counter near Shinjuku which has good rates. The ATM use, while easy, may be costing you more in exchange fees.

Please feel free to ask questions if you cannot find an answer after searching.

Thanks for joining up!

Thanks for the welcome!

Reactions: TAG Manager
If your bank doesn't charge foreign exchange or withdrawal fees, ATMs are the best way to go.
Rarely do I see over-the-counter money exchangers beating the mastercard or Visa exchange rate.

Rarely do I see over-the-counter money exchangers beating the mastercard or Visa exchange rate.
What's your sample size? And you're talking about using a cashing service on a credit card? or?

And your bank doesn't tack on their own exchange charge? (or FX fee?)
Nope. Citibank Plus Account. Uses the published visa rate and no other fees.

Admittedly the sample size of money exchangers I check is low... But don't think the visa rate will be beaten by much if it can be at all.

Nope. Citibank Plus Account. Uses the published visa rate and no other fees.

Admittedly the sample size of money exchangers I check is low... But don't think the visa rate will be beaten by much if it can be at all.
This calls for some research; I'll have to look into this in detail. I don't personally have to change cash, but it's worth documenting.
I'll compare it with the cash ex. vendors I normally use.

If your credit card issuer doesn't charge for international withdrawals, then ATM is the best way. Just be sure that the bank where you withdraw doesn't add any extra fees. But this is always displayed at the ATM before processing, so you can cancel.
I always use 7-Eleven Bank, they don't charge extra fees and are available everywhere.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
BTW, I booked a hotel at Shiodome for my trip to Japan, good area? is it consider to be outside Central Tokyo?

BTW, I booked a hotel at Shiodome for my trip to Japan, good area? is it consider to be outside Central Tokyo?

That's basically Shinbashi. Known location for many a sleazy shop, most unreachable for a foreigner.

hi MikeH, I pick that area due to my last day is a half day, I can go to Odaiba to take pictures shop for the morning before heading to the airport. As long as the shops in the Shinbashi area are not sleazy, I am ok I guess. Unless I should pick a different area. Any recommendations?

Shiodome is considered to be central Tokyo. It only takes about 10 minutes to walk to Ginza Six. It's a newly developed area, just south-east of Shinbashi station, pretty much new and clean as opposed to the other side of the station. You'll see the contrast. It's the place where Tokyo's first train terminal was built. When the passenger terminal was moved to the present location, it turned to a freight terminal. After the national railway company was privatized in the 80s, the freight terminal was sold to developers. You can go anywhere in Tokyo easily from Shinbashi. You may even want to walk up to Mori Museum. It probably takes 40 minutes' walk.

Hello everyone, 45, traveling from US, going to be in Tokyo in early December for 3 days, staying in Shiodome area. This is my second visit, and want to try add an extra activity to this short trip. I do had some experience in the subway system early this year.

Last visit, I had YEN exchange in advance before arriving at Tokyo I heard the best way to exchange yen is just withdraw money from ATM. Is that correct?

And I don't know any Japanese. Guess I have a lot of reading to do.

Welcome to TAG!

I used the following method to access cash on my very first trip to Japan:
- Over-topped up my MasterCard before I left home so that it had a positive balance.
- Used it at 7-11 ATMs in Japan to withdraw cash.

This method meant that I escaped paying any international transaction/withdrawal fees. However, that could just be the policy of my bank in Australia. I’m also not sure what exchange rate I was getting by using this method. Either way, it was very convenient. :)

if you are into food delights as much as sexual ones, the breakfast buffet at the Conrad is something you should try , even if you dont stay there .

@Frenchy so what kind of food Conrad has for their breakfast buffet?
Well all you can expect from a top class hotel breakfast buffet but as I remember (went there 2 or 3 times but long ago) the eggs were especially great (omelette, Benedict etc).

I've been to the dinner buffet at either InterCon or Conrad 4 years old in another country, they are right next to each other, so I can't recall which is which.

In Shimbashi you can go to Asian Smile http://asiansmile-massage.net/info_en.aspx which is known to deliver reliable service. Check the website for the schedule of therapists and the TAG forum for names of good therapists such Minami or Hikari. I found Shizuka not so good when I went there. Some of these therapists work also at Asian Relax and Asian Feeling in Shinjuku. Have fun !

@Karbon thanks for the info, Megumi looks cute. now i need to search for Asain Smile on here to see how it works.

update.... just did some reading on here... seems like you pick a girl, go to a room, undress, go to shower in another room? what about personal belongings? safe to leave behind if the shower is in a different room?

Last edited:
Remember this is Japan :) Your belongings are safe though you should always go in this type of place with only the minimum on you: cash only (with spare in case you want to extend ;)), Suica card, no credit card or id ....
Concerning changing room with a towel around your waste to go to the shower, don't worry the therapist yells "shower" before you go so you never meet anyone. If she treats you well in shower, you won't give a sh...t to eventually see anyone in the corridor, your second brain down under will be in charge and will make you forget the environment :p If you are shy on that side, wait to go to an onsen ... (do learn the written signs for "Men" and "Women" in japanese so you do not open the wrong door completely naked at the onsen :ROFLMAO:)

If she treats you well in shower, you won't give a sh...t to eventually see anyone in the corridor, your second brain down under will be in charge and will make you forget the environment

I thought the protocol was to remember exactly where you are and try to flash as many girls walking in the corridor or taking a break in the tea room as possible. :p

Reactions: Karbon