Hellotalk... how many people message you first?

hamsap

TAG Member
Reaction score
I heard great things about hellotalk but no one is messaging me first.
I have a face picture for my profile and I'm far from ugly.
Posting interesting photos and stories and getting lots of likes but very few comments.
Normal experience for you guys?

Reactions: monalisaoverdrive
I don't have any experience with HelloTalk but I do have experience with tons of other sites/apps. Attractive women (especially on free apps) get 50+ mails a day. Unless you catch their eye there's just no reason for them to write first. They don't run out of options. Times have changed. You got to put alot of effort in now. This applies to all dating / penpal / language exchange apps. So maybe this explains. Ifnot I'm sure someone else can chime in. My experience with with Japanese online is they are very passive. 9 out of 10 times you have to take initiative and do all the rowing.

I have some "insider" knowledge regarding the users of dating apps/services. Even in the US and other western countries, there are just a lot more men than women using the apps/services, so you have way too many guys trying to get way too few girls. Tinder is probably a little better in that regard with more active young ladies and the ratio isn't as bad, but otherwise, if you are a guy, prepare to stick around for a while.

Last edited:
My experience with with Japanese online is they are very passive. 9 out of 10 times you have to take initiative and do all the rowing.

Yeah, I guess you are right. It often feels like a lot of work talking to Japanese people online.
Once you remove everyone who mentions liking shopping and Disney there are a few interesting people left.

Reactions: Frenchy and BB0523
I have some "insider" knowledge regarding the users of dating apps/services. Even in the US and other western countries, there are just a lot more men than women using the apps/services, so you have way too many guys trying to get way too few girls.

That's common knowledge :p

Maybe its possible for people to like those things and be interesting.

Lets turn it around, how many guys are left if we remove sports and gaming

More like: how many guys are left if we remove "I like working out."

I've found Tinder to just be trash if you look for serious stuff. Not that I ever had success with hook-ups (to be fair, I'm not about that anyway), but it's really more for that sort of thing than serious relationships. Men's profiles are 99% the same, women's as well. It's mostly bad copy-pasted lines off of reddit, "I like travelling and watching Netflix" or "I like working out".

Sure, women might have more "to pick" from because for every girl, there are at least 20 guys, but it's not like women only have the cream of the crop to pick from - they have to wade through a lot of boring/uninteresting/douchy people too. Though maybe if people were more real with themselves and just went with whatever obscure hobby they have, they might just attract _that_ specific person that also likes it?

Reactions: Legarto
Thanks to this post I just made an account two days ago. I've had about five girls message me.

I posted some photography and some pictures of my hometown and I immediately got a ton of likes and comments from random girls. I also posted something about a Japanese film I really like and got more messages. I think it works well if you know what to post and how to post it.

I installed the app some time ago and I got some messages.

First or second question was always: "are you married?"

It seems to me that Japanese women are using this app to find a "gaijin husband".

Maybe its possible for people to like those things and be interesting.

Lets turn it around, how many guys are left if we remove sports and gaming

The purist dungeons and dragons booknerds! (They don’t play the game, they memorize the rules) AKA Da Sexbombs.

Reactions: LeonGRAY
I started using HelloTalk a few days ago, figure I could use it as my Japanese language practice/blog-like thing and while I get likes a lot and comments on occasion (Found a bunch of basketball fans and we all were gushing about our favorite teams and this upcoming NBA season :D) at most I've gotten is a follow and no messages. I don't know what's expected but the amount of contact I'm getting from folks seems pretty normal and I'm enjoying it so far.

As for stuff that got lots of comments? Pictures of my dog and food. Seems to be a good combination.

I started using HelloTalk a few days ago, figure I could use it as my Japanese language practice/blog-like thing and while I get likes a lot and comments on occasion (Found a bunch of basketball fans and we all were gushing about our favorite teams and this upcoming NBA season :D) at most I've gotten is a follow and no messages. I don't know what's expected but the amount of contact I'm getting from folks seems pretty normal and I'm enjoying it so far.

As for stuff that got lots of comments? Pictures of my dog and food. Seems to be a good combination.

I just downloaded it today. Got a message that your account can get banned if you're using the app for dating purposes :eek:

I just downloaded it today. Got a message that your account can get banned if you're using the app for dating purposes :eek:

That's true. People can report your messages. There's an option which lets you send specific messages that you sent someone directly to their support staff which results in a ban. Surprisingly I've met three girls from there with no problems haha!

Reactions: LeonGRAY
That's true. People can report your messages. There's an option which lets you send specific messages that you sent someone directly to their support staff which results in a ban. Surprisingly I've met three girls from there with no problems haha!

Imagine creating a fake account posing as a girl you could 99% of the men permanently banned :D

Here is my view on dating apps and social media. If you are not the 9.9 or 10, you're not going to have any female trying to slide into your DMs. Dem da facts. I can't tell you how many times I am swiped left on, while a friend of mine all he has to do is comment on his friend's tweet or whatever social media platform he wants to play with and bam. Inbox full of, "Hey what are you doing?" and "I am trying to get my back blown out!"

What I genuinely find hilarious are the ones who use tinder and/or other apps like it, to find a serious relationship. Let's not kid yourself here, as much as you try to say that you're wanting to find someone serious, you don't do the one night stands and what not what do you end up doing? Sleeping with the guy on the first night. Just be honest with yourself instead of trying to deny what you really want, to get some dick.

I messaged 5 people on HelloTalk. 2 girls replied. 1 seem very interested. After exchanging a few texts I asked for her LINE the same day and she never replied.

Maybe I asked too fast but I don't have time for small talk. App seems like a waste of time.

My opener was "If you want I can teach you english" very low effort but I was tired. Will try again today with something better. Will report back.

I messaged 5 people on HelloTalk. 2 girls replied. 1 seem very interested. After exchanging a few texts I asked for her LINE the same day and she never replied.

Maybe I asked too fast but I don't have time for small talk. App seems like a waste of time.

My opener was "If you want I can teach you English" very low effort but I was tired. Will try again today with something better. Will report back.

Most girls are used to getting these messages. Some of the really attractive girls have hundreds of comments and likes whenever they post something and they get dozens of private messages. Out of three girls I met one of them went nowhere (really boring and she barely said anything), the other is in a relationship but she seems interested and asked me out for a drink this week and the last one is a cute 21 year old who's never had a boyfriend.

Hope you can meet someone on there!

Most girls are used to getting these messages. Some of the really attractive girls have hundreds of comments and likes whenever they post something and they get dozens of private messages. Out of three girls I met one of them went nowhere (really boring and she barely said anything), the other is in a relationship but she seems interested and asked me out for a drink this week and the last one is a cute 21 year old who's never had a boyfriend.

Hope you can meet someone on there!

Got her LINE ID now.

Me: If you are single I want to date you ^^ *praying I don't get permanently banned*
*Reads msg but no reply*
*10 mins later*
Me: Are you interested? I'm going to Fukuoka soon. I'm very interested in you. Let me know. Thank you
Girl: Are you interested in me! Thank you very much. I'm happy. I am single. If you can come I'll date you.
Me: You are very cute ^^
Girl: Thank you
Girl: I have LINE. If you want to message to me my add: xxxxx

This is kind of interesting... Usually I'm not so direct and persistent. I think it's cringe and needy but I was about to delete the app anyway so why not.

Going to try if this really works with other girls :D

Yeah, I guess you are right. It often feels like a lot of work talking to Japanese people online.
Once you remove everyone who mentions liking shopping and Disney there are a few interesting people left.
That's not just an online thing. I've gotten to the point where I'm looking for anything but Japanese women.

Deleted my HelloTalk account and created a new account and changed native language from Dutch to English to see if I get better matches.

Got 5 messages on first day. Apparently the Dutch flag looks like the French flag because 2 girls asked if I was from France and 1 guy messaged me saying he's going on holiday to Paris next january o_O

If you're using this app to make friends or find a date better change that language to English because you get a lot more matches. What you see in 'Moments' is also based on your language.

9QDXiC8.png

That was fast.

My personal experience is that your shouldn't really use HelloTalk as a dating app as you'll get reported pretty quickly.

With that being said, even though I had no intention of meeting anyone on HelloTalk I did meet up with two women (genuinely for the purpose of language exchange!) and got more than I was looking for! This was over a period of time though.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
My personal experience is that your shouldn't really use HelloTalk as a dating app as you'll get reported pretty quickly.

With that being said, even though I had no intention of meeting anyone on HelloTalk I did meet up with two women (genuinely for the purpose of language exchange!) and got more than I was looking for! This was over a period of time though.

Yes time/effort required to get a date is not worth it. Better options out there. You have to be really careful and do a lot of small talk first else you get reported. Ask a girl if they are single too soon and 99% chance you'll get reported lol

The app is good if you're looking for a quick translation. I always used to annoy the same people on LINE for translation help always felt a little guilty about that so the app is definitely a keeper.