Guest viewing is limited

Hernia

e-smile

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Few years ago after suddenly lifting my son after a fall I injured my back and since then I sometimes triggered the pain after a bad move (not too often as I'm usually cautious on the way I lift things). Usually it took me a couple of days of rest + voltarene but since July after playing a football (soccer) match the pain doesn't leave and it has spread down the leg.

I've tried the usual treatment, then went to a doctor then another and finally had an MRI last month and they confirmed what I told them from the beginning : I have a hernia. The pain killers I've been taking aren't strong enough and I'm suffering a lot especially during and after sex.

They have tried everything including a fucking double injection directly on sciatic nerve that didn't do shit and the last doctor finally admitted the surgery is the only way. The problem is that they say that the surgery will require me to be admitted for a whole two weeks while in my home country my father (whom had the same issue and got rid of it through surgery) was only hospitalized for a couple of days.

I work almost every day (remote office job from home or anywhere with internet) and I can't be off for 2 weeks until June (no work on June and July).

So here are the options I've thought about so far :

1 - endure the pain till June and encounter the risk of aggravation or painkiller addiction
2 - Go to abroad (France, Italy or my home country where I have relatives to help me in case) and be ready to pay more (flight + medical expense).
3 - find another clinic in Japan that would require only 2 days of hospitalization

If someone can help about option 3 I'd be very grateful or else if I go for option 2 do you think (I mean know) if the Japanese national insurance can cover care outside of Japan ?

Reactions: Simonka
Sorry that you’re going through a painful process :(

http://jassi.org/useful-information...ealth-insurance-in-foreign-countries/?lang=en

You can get compensation back for accidents overseas. (Overseas benefit claim? I once had a small injury in my home country and was eligible if I’m not mistaken.. but I didn’t pursue any claims. Can’t remember clearly as it’s been a few years and it wasn’t a serious issue like hernia) However according to this article above if you’re traveling abroad for the purpose of receiving medical care you cannot get compensation back.

Another article: https://origami-book.com/column/course-en/12844

Last edited:
Reactions: e-smile
Sorry to hear about your back. I was suspected to have hernia in the neck couple of years ago so the following is based what I learned then.

Unfortunately you cannot get the Japanese insurance to cover your operation abroad. Basically what can be covered is emergency care for sudden illness or similar when you are travelling, not scheduled operations or something that you could have done after getting back to Japan.

The length of the stay in hospital depends on what kind of operation they are going to do. Two weeks sounds pretty long even for the fusion operation though.

If they just remove the bulging nerve it can be done as a day operation. The chosen operation type depends on the patient, obviously, but also many surgeons prefer one type or another so you should definitely get another doctor to look into it.

Yeah I've read a lot about the surgery itself and it shouldn't be long, maybe I can insist with the same clinic or just ask another one for shorter hospitalization. I suspect they just want to rent their room for the longer time possible. If they'd just allow me to have my laptop at least I could work but the doc said I shouldn't.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Have you tried the voltaren pain patches? They are good for local pain blocking and some have quite high doses of active ingredients. Not a solution but it may ease the pain.

Yes I used them a lot before and usually I was good after a couple of days but now it's been almost 5 months. The pain has even spread.

After surgery in Japan doctors always insist on 2 weeks in hospital (I had a surgery a few years ago here and they did the same thing, but I couldn't afford to take that time either so I told them I needed to be out in 5 days, I mean they can't FORCE you to stay so out the doors I was)

I'd say be pushy at your job to let you have the full time off, you don't really need it but if there are complications or just being able to sit back and no do anything for two weeks is kinda nice especially since you're going to feel like shit for most likely a month.

Reactions: cabbie and e-smile
I don't know what hospital or quack you are seeing, but I had surgury to repart a spinal cord hernia in my lower back a few years back and was out of the hospital in 4 days, and that was despite it being over a Christmas weekend. Two days before the surgery I needed to go to the hospital for physicals, but I didn't need to stay overnight until the night before the surgery. I had the surgery and had to have one day of bed rest. After that I was walking around just fine and when the doctor came in on Monday monring to see how I was doing, he said I could leave and I was out on Tuesday morning.

You might want to consult a few operating physicians to see who is the most aggressive when it comes to "treat and street."

BTW, Japanese nurses can be really hot if you get a young girl assigned to you. You get really friendly and she has to give you a towel bath and take out your catheter.

I don't know what hospital or quack you are seeing, but I had surgury to repart a spinal cord hernia in my lower back a few years back and was out of the hospital in 4 days, and that was despite it being over a Christmas weekend. Two days before the surgery I needed to go to the hospital for physicals, but I didn't need to stay overnight until the night before the surgery. I had the surgery and had to have one day of bed rest. After that I was walking around just fine and when the doctor came in on Monday monring to see how I was doing, he said I could leave and I was out on Tuesday morning.

You might want to consult a few operating physicians to see who is the most aggressive when it comes to "treat and street."

BTW, Japanese nurses can be really hot if you get a young girl assigned to you. You get really friendly and she has to give you a towel bath and take out your catheter.
Mind telling me the name of that hospital ?

I also suffer from sciatica, but it is triggered by piriformis muscle and not a disc bulge .My suggestion is also trying out McKenzie exercise or other aporopraapp stretched and exercises instead of directly going for surgery .Even if it's not fixed, you should be able to make it until June when you can actually go for a surgery.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I had a hernia operation at St Luke’s hospital and was back home in three days. The senior doctor of the department speaks very good English, allows plenty of time of each appointment to explain everything carefully, and recommends mesh or staple options to repair the tissue. Pain management was fine and the treatment was generally very good. The only issue was the overall cost - but this should manageable if you have work or private insurance.

I had my operation 3 years ago and have not had any problems since. Message me if you need any more info.

Good luck!

Reactions: e-smile and Sudsy
1 - endure the pain till June and encounter the risk of aggravation or painkiller addiction

Aggravation is a risk - painkiller addiction is not. You'll be lucky if you get anything beyond NSAIDs.

2 - Go to abroad (France, Italy or my home country where I have relatives to help me in case) and be ready to pay more (flight + medical expense).

Always an option.

3 - find another clinic in Japan that would require only 2 days of hospitalization

Factor in the above, and honestly, you can really afford 7-10 days, which is what option 2 would take with travel included.

And you really are better off using a facility local to you in case of issues with followup.

Aggravation is a risk - painkiller addiction is not. You'll be lucky if you get anything beyond NSAIDs.

Always an option.

Factor in the above, and honestly, you can really afford 7-10 days, which is what option 2 would take with travel included.

And you really are better off using a facility local to you in case of issues with followup.
with option two I wouldn't be able to work only during the flight and hospitalization, as I said I have a remote job so as long as I have internet and my laptop I can work from anywhere

with option two I wouldn't be able to work only during the flight and hospitalization, as I said I have a remote job so as long as I have internet and my laptop I can work from anywhere

I know guys who in Japan have been working their laptops in those cancer treatment positive pressure rooms so I am pretty sure this is a negotiable thing and not a definite no from the doc.

Or if it is you can find another doc.

Reactions: e-smile and Sudsy
I know I am late to the post OP.... my experience was as follows:
1. Arrived Japan May 2011.
2. Back problem persisted to the point where I know I needed to get operation/surgery
3. Had surgery Dec. 2011 at Red Cross in Hiroo
4. Had to stay in Hospital (private room) for 1 week but I did have internet (cat 5 cable)
My problem:
A) Herniated Disc
B) Bone Spur
C) Damaged Syatic nerve

Since surgery.... no problem whatsoever ....
Out of pocket expense for me (not covered by Japan NHI scheme) 300,000JPY Total bill was 1,200,000JPY

Hope this helps... Good luck and sorry you have to endure that kind of pain... the only drug that will help is one used for epileptics, can't recall the name, but it basically stops the pain to be transmitted through synapse... It did work, but I hated the feeling... only took 1 dose... felt like i was under water in the fog...

I know I am late to the post OP.... my experience was as follows:
1. Arrived Japan May 2011.
2. Back problem persisted to the point where I know I needed to get operation/surgery
3. Had surgery Dec. 2011 at Red Cross in Hiroo
4. Had to stay in Hospital (private room) for 1 week but I did have internet (cat 5 cable)
My problem:
A) Herniated Disc
B) Bone Spur
C) Damaged Syatic nerve

Since surgery.... no problem whatsoever ....
Out of pocket expense for me (not covered by Japan NHI scheme) 300,000JPY Total bill was 1,200,000JPY

Hope this helps... Good luck and sorry you have to endure that kind of pain... the only drug that will help is one used for epileptics, can't recall the name, but it basically stops the pain to be transmitted through synapse... It did work, but I hated the feeling... only took 1 dose... felt like i was under water in the fog...
thanks mate,

I'd take a private room too as I work by night due to timezone difference and that would be annoying for roommates I guess.

They gave me Tramcet to take 3 times a day but after reading that I shouldn't stop it without the doctor's advice I decided not to take it on a regular basis (although I noticed that it reduces stress and makes me more chill :D)

anyway good to know that you're all good now. I hope I don't have a damaged sciatic nerve :(

thanks mate,

I'd take a private room too as I work by night due to timezone difference and that would be annoying for roommates I guess.

They gave me Tramcet to take 3 times a day but after reading that I shouldn't stop it without the doctor's advice I decided not to take it on a regular basis (although I noticed that it reduces stress and makes me more chill :D)

anyway good to know that you're all good now. I hope I don't have a damaged sciatic nerve :(

FYI: It took about 2 months for the nerve to recover. Maybe I used the wrong term "Damaged" it could have just been inflammed and "stressed" typically nerves do not heal... at least that was the medical advice told to me.
My sciatic nerve had been dragging on the bone spur... so it was the major source of pain for me. Cheers..& Good Luck...