Hi everyone!

Luluchan

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm visiting for a month and currently have only 3 weeks left in Japan and I was debating whether I should try a soapland before I leave.

As someone who's Asian American with a low level of Japanese, should I tell them that I'm a Gaijin or just try to play it off as if I were Japanese?

Hi,

I'm visiting for a month and currently have only 3 weeks left in Japan and I was debating whether I should try a soapland before I leave.

As someone who's Asian American with a low level of Japanese, should I tell them that I'm a Gaijin or just try to play it off as if I were Japanese?

First off RuRuchan,

Welcome to the forum and please post your experiences in Japan.

You, will, nevah, evah, pass as Japanese. Once you open your mouth, the first syllable will give you away. Trust me on this.

Reactions: meyrin
You, will, nevah, evah, pass as Japanese. Once you open your mouth, the first syllable will give you away. Trust me on this.

Dear Sir Roots Reggae, I would like to, with the utmost respect, politely introduce my humble view in this matter and say that's total bullshit. I know quite a few people, myself included, who will pass as native Japanese over a phone. Some of them are Asians and having been living in Japan for a long time can sometimes pass as locals even in person. I myself don't unfortunately belong to that group being pretty much the whitest white boy in Tokyo.

But the language is not going to be the problem provided you are diligent, work hard and not speak English as your first language. :p

Reactions: roots reggae
Dear Sir MikeH,

I bow to one with much more experience in the area. I am humbled and envious.:D

However...
The OP stated that he is 1) gaijin 2) low level Japanese

I suspect that, even over the phone, he will not pass as Japanese. Of course I could be wrong;)

Let's hope he goes for the gold, gives us an account,:writer: so we can all learn by his tale.

I'm currently taking classes on Japanese, so when it comes to basic vocabulary, I can pass off as Japanese.
There have been times where I've been talking to some college students and they've mistaken me as Japanese too after some interactions.

Although, when it comes to anything past simple vocabulary, I'm lost haha.

I'm just curious as to whether it'd be better to study up on "that" sort of vocab to pass off as a native, or just go the gaijin route.
After reading the forums a bit, I've seen that some stores don't accept gaijin. So that's why I was wondering, as I could probably enter them with the right amount of time spent to study the vocab. It's just a matter of whether it's worth the effort, since I'll probably be more worried about the language rather than trying to have my fun.

1.) Yes on soapland (what kind of question is that? )

2.) No on pretending to be native Japanese.

Why? Because the chances of being discovered are high. And the consequences can be unpleasant. If we were talking about a pinsaro or lower end business, my opinion would be different.

2.) No on pretending to be native Japanese.

Why? Because the chances of being discovered are high. And the consequences can be unpleasant.

If you look enough Japanese not to cause any suspicions I bet you could go in as one with just grunts and almost no talk. Assuming of course that you understand all what they say. I'm pretty sure most of the locals don't talk much with the guys in the shop, just tell them whom they want to see and for how long.

And if they realise you are a foreigner what do you think the consequences will be? If the shop doesn't accept foreigners they will tell you that and if they do they might tell you some girls are not available. How is that worse than going in telling you are a foreigner?

I'm also thinking about finding a gaijin only service as that would be easiest.

Does anyone have any insight on Nasty Dolls?

http://yahoo.co.jp/top/

And if they realise you are a foreigner what do you think the consequences will be? If the shop doesn't accept foreigners they will tell you that and if they do they might tell you some girls are not available. How is that worse than going in telling you are a foreigner?

There are no *real* consequences to going in as a Japanese person and having your cover blown. It's more that it could lead to some uncomfortable situations and a less than optimal experience. If I'm shelling out soapland money, I'd (personally) prefer that everyone involved knows the score to avoid any unpleasantness.

If the OP can manage it, by all means. I'd tip my hat to him.

There are 100% Japanese guys who have grown up overseas and still speak intermediate Japanese and they claim they even get rejected from shops so i dont think that looking Asian would do the trick to get in.

Unless you have lived here for a long time, the way you pronounce words and form sentences will obviously be different from Japanese people, even if you study.

Alright, time to look for a gaijin shop then lol

Any suggestions? Preferably one with FS. I'll mostly be in the Shinjuku area

I should probably mention this is my first time with everything

Alright, time to look for a gaijin shop then lol

Any suggestions? Preferably one with FS. I'll mostly be in the Shinjuku area

I should probably mention this is my first time with everything
There are two good soaplands in Shinjuku, Don Juan and Barbossa.
There are some cheaper soaplands that may accept foreigners as well, but not so much information about that here.
If you go to Yoshiwara, near Ueno, there are a lot more soaplands, some quite foreign friendly and well reviewed here.

There are other options as well in Shinjuku, but they cant officially offer FS and many times you wont get it.

You can book get the girls from Nasty Dolls or Asian Mystique, or a TAG independend to come to Shinjuku.
All well reviewed here and trustable and providing the whole package.

Reactions: Wwanderer
alright, thanks for the advice!

ill be nervous for sure since its my first time, but hopefully ill have a good time once i decide which one i want to go to :D

And the consequences can be unpleasant.
There are no *real* consequences to going in as a Japanese person and having your cover blown.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. And I don't know there is a different way to go in as a Japanese person. It's not like you need to yell at the door "Hello, Japanese person just entered the building".

I would go in as a person, make my reservation with as little language as possible and if they would ask I would immediately tell I'm a foreigner. The thing is even if the front staff would be baffled the girl wouldn't know about it anyway.

And if you'd prefer you could always leave if they noticed you are a foreigner. If I thought I could pass as a Japanese in looks I would totally try to go to every Japanese only place. As far as I have been able to test them this far the service level is usually way better as are the girls than at the places they accept foreigners.

Reactions: akasam
There's only one reason not to try to pass as Japanese. It's because you seem like you'd be too nervous and wouldn't enjoy the experience.

As long as you don't lie about it, if nobody notices then nobody will care. You might waste a bit of time, but it would be fun seeing how far you get.