Hi Folks, Here For Business!

I didn't think I needed much of a premise as this was an introduction thread. I will presume you are all truly generally curious as to finding out about me.. And not some initial terse form of hostility..?

Let me start again .. By way of actual intro then, I'm an experienced business traveller here in Tokyo for a few days, don't speak much Japanese, but have been to the country several times. I will likely be here more frequently in the future as my firm is embarking on a long term project that involves Japan for the foreseeable future. I travel extensively for business and have tried P4P in a number of geographies (Europe, Mediterranean, US and Canada) and tend to join the local English language boards to get oriented. I'm in my early 30's, ethnically Oriental, but born and raised in North America. Oh, and I like long walks on the beach and candlelit dinners... :cool:

I've been skimming a few of the forums and was thinking whether there was much to ask in the way of outright questions to the board.. But actually didn't feel the need to, as there was a sizeable amount of information out there already, and was preparing to take a plunge and "come what may"

Oh, and I will say that what truly tipped me to joining was the page view limit to non-registered guest accounts was tripped, and hey why not join as most folks here seemed nice?

Oh, and I will say that what truly tipped me to joining was the page view limit to non-registered guest accounts was tripped, and hey why not join as most folks here seemed nice?

Haha, well, our evil plans worked! .... No, not really evil, but the idea is to invoke more people to participate instead of doing a looky-loo kind of thing. ;)

Thanks for the nice intro - that made much more sense. It also didn't help that I was reading the board half-asleep...

We are a very mixed crowd here, but generally easy to get along with.

Thanks, trip is imminent! And struggling with minutiae like figuring out what kind of outerwear to bring that isn't too bulky. The report on November snow in Tokyo has me all mixed up.

At least in Tokyo, it can be warmer during the day but we tend to get a lot of wind which makes it feel colder. When it snowed, there was definitely a bite in the air. Once the sun drops though, it gets pretty cold with the added wind.

It depends on where you're from. If you're from southern areas where it's warmer most of the year, you'll have some adjustments to make. If you're from northern areas and have experience with cold weather... Tokyo is a cakewalk.
Everything else in between, it's hit and miss.

For myself, I usually wear a suit everyday plus an outer jacket and also carry gloves and a scarf 'just in case'. Haven't needed either except during the snow we had. When I'm out for lunch, don't really need the outer coat as much unless I'm walking a long distance.

I don't think you'll need really bulky stuff unless you're going to the mountains or planning to spend extreme amounts of time in the elements.

Corner stores all have hot canned/bottle drinks (vending machines too) plus you can buy those instant heat pads that you can put in your shoes to keep your feet warm. (various uses... besides in your shoes.)

Enjoy your trip... It's gotten colder, obviously!

Brace-yourself-Winter.jpg

Wwinterer too!

-Ww

I am mid-pack and have taken my hot water bottle out in order to make room for my hair-straightener. I suspect that I may regret this decision, but..... vanity. ;-)

Onsen, water and sleep. Stat. :)

I managed, with a lovely welcome to Tokyo and some wonderful encouragement, to stay up until a "proper" bedtime last night! But woke up just before 5AM and never made it back to bed..

A few push ups, catch up on some early morning work and some nice music is still a good way to start a morning.

Good morning Tokyo! It's going to be a wonderful day! :D:cool::whistle::cat::p

So I'm an idiot..

I didn't wear a jacket today cause it was so damn warm in the morning.. Then right after 3PM.. it got super cold and windy. Now I'm walking outside in a thin blazer!!!!!

Boy it was gorgeous this morning though! Sad thing is that I only have so many nights here but am so exhausted..

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yeah, the wind started picking up around lunch (more so than the morning) and I went out for coffee without a coat, regretted that.

Yesterday was great temp wise, tonight kinda sucks. Cold and windy...

Must.. find.. energy to go out..
Maybe just a stroll around Shinjuku or can over to the Park Hyatt and check out American Bar.. But so sleepy..

Maybe just a stroll around Shinjuku or can over to the Park Hyatt and check out American Bar.. But so sleepy..
Good luck with that, I'm staying home in the warmth. I gotta be out each night for the rest of the week...

Head to Lawson/ 7-11 and grab some energising tonics and/or energy drinks. Plus coffee. That's my secret to staying awake when my body wants to sleeeeep.

Good luck with that, I'm staying home in the warmth. I gotta be out each night for the rest of the week...

Head to Lawson/ 7-11 and grab some energising tonics and/or energy drinks. Plus coffee. That's my secret to staying awake when my body wants to sleeeeep.

I utterly failed and passed out right after my post.. And I've been awake since 2-3AM working away. Awful.. I'm going to be so messed up in my afternoon meetings and work dinner tomorrow.

I'm getting old and can't adjust as quick anymore clearly.. :arghh: