Guest viewing is limited

HND vs NRT

ur19877

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for some pros and cons in flying into HND vs NRT... I know it is closer, but assuming that I use public transportation, I don't know how much time and possibly cost that I may save by flying into HND.

Any other comments/advice is also appreciated.

Point of reference: I am used to flying into NRT, and using N'EX to get into town. Assume that I will be staying in Shinjuku...

thanks!

I always use Haneda if it's possible. I am all OK going abroad but Chiba? Come on!

But if you are going to Shinjuku then it's going to be something like 45 mins from Haneda vs 1 h 25 mins from Narita.

I've always flown into Narita because that's where United goes and I use the Narita Express to get into town. It's not that expensive. I looked up the fare and it's 3,190 between Narita airport and Shinjuku.

Haneda is supposed to be more of a domestic airport so if you can get a flight into there, great. Otherwise it's Narita.

In an effort to curb jet lag, I found a flight (on ANA) that leaves at night from LAX. All other flights leave from mid morning to mid afternoon...On the return flight, I also leave at 11 PM, which gives me extra time in Tokyo...
I don't think it is coincidence, but this flight combo is expensive now for April, while I can fly to NRT for around $500..

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I've always flown into Narita because that's where United goes and I use the Narita Express to get into town. It's not that expensive. I looked up the fare and it's 3,190 between Narita airport and Shinjuku.

Haneda is supposed to be more of a domestic airport so if you can get a flight into there, great. Otherwise it's Narita.

From LAX, Delta, ANA & JAL fly directly..

You definitely save time and money when travelling to and from Tokyo if you use HND. Sure it's not as nice as N'EX, but the train ride is a lot shorter and cheaper.

But I suppose you do need to factor in your flight, and the itinerary and costs that comes with it. Recently I've found that flights with layovers barely saved me any money (and in some cases actually costs more!!), so going with direct flights was a no brainer for me. But if you're able to find flights at a cheaper rates that land at NRT, I'd go for it.

And if you have a JR Pass that you start at the beginning of your trip it's free.

It really depends on where you are staying. If you're on the east side of Tokyo NRT may be a better, if you're staying on the west side HND.

I always take NRT because I live a hell of a lot closer to there than HND.

Reactions: cabbie and ur19877
From LAX, Delta, ANA & JAL fly directly..
Good to know. I was under the impression there were few US routes out of Haneda. Maybe I'll look up a flight on ANA sometime.

And if you have a JR Pass that you start at the beginning of your trip it's free.
That JR pass is great. Free Shinkansen travel (except on the nozomi) and free Narita express travel. I get the pass every time I come to Japan.

The JR pass isn't for me for the type of traveling I am doing... One day I should probably go outside of Tokyo.... maybe with an SB?
Then I may get that pass...

I did use by SUICA card for part of my N'EX ride last trip..which was cool..
I did have some issues... I guess when using N'EX, there are two fares that need to be paid...a local one and one for N'EX itself? I couldn't fully figure it out...

The first time I bought the ticket in the office and had no issues... the 2nd time, I used the ticketing machine with no issues.. the last time I also used the machine, but i didn't buy enough or the right ticket...

But I suppose you do need to factor in your flight, and the itinerary and costs that comes with it. Recently I've found that flights with layovers barely saved me any money (and in some cases actually costs more!!), so going with direct flights was a no brainer for me. But if you're able to find flights at a cheaper rates that land at NRT, I'd go for it.

The airlines are going through another round of discounts where you can go there in April for around $499 USD. The flight/price combo I want isn't available until April 17th, in which I will probably miss Sakura....

It really depends which part of Tokyo you are traveling to.
Ueno especially is a lot faster from Narita than Haneda.
Much as I hate the APA hotel chain, there is one right outside Keisei Ueno Sta.

I seem to have 10am flights from Narita, so I can have a night out in Tokyo then catch the Skyliner out in the morning.

In terms of lounges, the Haneda International ones rock. Both JAL and ANA are good.

At Narita t2 the Main JAL one is great., but I’ve also used the China Airlines one which is not so good.

Reactions: Frenchy and ur19877
Hello

I am looking for some pros and cons in flying into HND vs NRT... I know it is closer, but assuming that I use public transportation, I don't know how much time and possibly cost that I may save by flying into HND.

Any other comments/advice is also appreciated.

Point of reference: I am used to flying into NRT, and using N'EX to get into town. Assume that I will be staying in Shinjuku...

thanks!
Haneda will cost less and take less time to shinjuku
you can compare on http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Haneda is fine for domestic or short haul Asia trips. I don’t ever take Haneda for long haul flights going east. The luggage issue can be solved with delivery service, but overall transportation concerns, I’m much more pleased with Narita.

Reactions: Lukes and ur19877
For Shinjuku, Haneda is going to be a few minutes faster, but the margin of error is huge. Depending on how fast you get through customs and how lucky you ar with timing your NEX train (if using Narita), the elapsed time from flight arrival to hotel shower is going to vary by as much as an hour or more. You are talking min 2 hours max 4 hours. I usually end up using Narita because that is where most of the flights leave from. Haneda is preferred because it is usually faster. Haneda also has excellent shopping and restaurants. If you need to buy trinkets for the natives back home, and you are using Haneda, I would suggest you get there an hour early to load up.

Reactions: Frenchy and ur19877
Haneda also has excellent shopping and restaurants.
I really, really have to disagree here. For the times I've used Haneda to depart internationally, I found the shopping and food options to be severely lacking. (Lounge is good, though...) But, Narita, I think has a much wider selection of shopping and food options both before and after security/immigration.

Reactions: Muku1 and ur19877
Don’t know if it’s still going, but they were giving half off the inbound skyliner ticket from Narita if you just show your passport, even if you have a residence visa.

I would take HND over NRT whenever possible. I don't care much about shopping at the airport. HND has Mos Burger and Yoshinoya 24/7 plus some excellent tonkatsu place (and others) so good enough for me. Less travelers and newer facilities too. I heard the duty free shops at NRT are always crowded now with people buying too much and waiting in line for over 30 mins to pay?!

Besides, with frequent trains to/from HND (both Keisei and monorail) and limousine buses/other options, you spend less time waiting and spending in traffic. The only downside is the flight schedule. It used to be I would be flying red eye flights so I get full days in Tokyo, but no more red eye flights from where my base is.

I would take HND over NRT whenever possible. I don't care much about shopping at the airport. HND has Mos Burger and Yoshinoya 24/7 plus some excellent tonkatsu place (and others) so good enough for me. Less travelers and newer facilities too. I heard the duty free shops at NRT are always crowded now with people buying too much and waiting in line for over 30 mins to pay?!

Besides, with frequent trains to/from HND (both Keisei and monorail) and limousine buses/other options, you spend less time waiting and spending in traffic. The only downside is the flight schedule. It used to be I would be flying red eye flights so I get full days in Tokyo, but no more red eye flights from where my base is.

Agreed with the long lines at Duty free at NRT... I tell myselfto buy my stuff @ Don Q while I am in the City...but I still send up buying stuff at the Duty free stores... only to wait in line with my carry on...in the cramped space... The Akihabara store at NRT is a Zoo....

I am also not a big fan of the long walk between my gate and the airport entrance/exit... it always seems like my gate is at the other side of the airport... maybe that is where the star alliance gate are...
Finally...in terms of the food, I didn't see the many options... maybe its in the areas near the security checks and not near the gates...

Thanks for everyone's help... Just like mongering..wanted to get some background info from the experts here and will find out more by myself in Jan when I fly into HND.

I really, really have to disagree here. For the times I've used Haneda to depart internationally, I found the shopping and food options to be severely lacking. (Lounge is good, though...) But, Narita, I think has a much wider selection of shopping and food options both before and after security/immigration.
When were you last there? In the past couple of years it has changed dramatically. Sometime around 2015 it got a major facelift and now it is getting rated very highly by the travel magazines and sites. Is is at least on par with Narita.

Oh. Now I know. Not sure how it is now, but for a long time the International terminal at Haneda was separated from the Domestic and it was in a crappy temporary building with very little shopping or restaurants. I think it is integrated with the domestic terminals now.

Reactions: ur19877