How Long Will Kabukicho Last?

Desktop

TAG Member
Reaction score
There's a huge new building in the middle of Kabukicho almost completed that if history repeats itself may affect the other business around the area.
I've noticed that the police have warnings about touts in Japanese even during the day specifically saying if you give guys money on the street you won't get what you expect.
Good progress but like Roppongi Hills did to Roppongi nightlife do you think it will repeat in Kabukicho?

Reactions: Jimmydr
There is also the matter of the Olympics coming up. Countries like to clean up their dirty laundry, especially Kabukicho being so central and readily accessible.

Before the soccer World Cup a lot of places were closed ie) OS in Shinjuku. They had live sex shows there, but that all ended the year before the soccer tournament. That said, a lot of new temporary services proliferated all over Tokyo
just before and during the world cup - Chinese massage that offered a lot more and at discount prices too. So let`s hope for that and the continued presence of Kabukicho.

There's a huge new building in the middle of Kabukicho almost completed that if history repeats itself may affect the other business around the area.
I've noticed that the police have warnings about touts in Japanese even during the day specifically saying if you give guys money on the street you won't get what you expect.
Good progress but like Roppongi Hills did to Roppongi nightlife do you think it will repeat in Kabukicho?

Well, Kabukicho has been a mixed red light district and general adult play area as long as I've been going to Japan (like 8 years or so). There's a movie theater and a several story entertainment area (bowling alley, pool hall, etc) smack in the middle there, for example. Heck, when I was googling around, I found a NY Times article that was talking about how far down hill Kabukicho had gone...in 1993. I'd be interested to know whether it's a tower for restaurants and other entertainment, or if it's offices/apartments, etc.

There is also the matter of the Olympics coming up. Countries like to clean up their dirty laundry, especially Kabukicho being so central and readily accessible.

Yeah, I've read a few stories about how they are looking to crack down ahead of the Olympics. Nowadays with so much business going to delivery health places, it's certainly a possibility that at least the 'southern' half of Kabukicho will go away. I doubt the love hotel area north of there is going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree that the love hotels are not likely to go anywhere. And they are sure to fight any attempts at them. And wherever there are so many love hotels, a certain level of shady places will be in effect.

My guess is that the red light stuff will move to that area. The area closer to the JR station will likely be cleaned up, while the area further away will have new places pop up.

I can't imagine Kabuki-Cho changing that much. Kabuki-Cho has pretty much been a red light district for a long time, as evidenced by the Chan Kong-sang movie re-titled Shinjuku Incident for English speakers.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Incident

I hope it changes into a lesser scummy place. I mainly just go there for Asian Relax/Feeling, because I don't like anything else there.

Its hard for legitimate businesses to purchase or even lease buildings/office space in the Kabukicho area, because so much property is owned or controlled by the Yakuza. Especially since so many major companies have to comply with ISO 9000/ 14000 due diligence requirements, and investigate title holders, etc before a real estate purchase can be made.

Often, major players decide to buy up a chunk of land in Shinjuku for office space, but have cancelled their plans because investigations show that one or more of the tenants is connected to the Yakuza, and the major player can't be seen as being willing to negotiate buy-outs with organized crime syndicates.

I can't imagine Kabuki-Cho changing that much. Kabuki-Cho has pretty much been a red light district for a long time, as evidenced by the Chan Kong-sang movie re-titled Shinjuku Incident for English speakers.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Incident

I hope it changes into a lesser scummy place. I mainly just go there for Asian Relax/Feeling, because I don't like anything else there.

I saw that movie on Netflix, lol.

Reactions: Jimmydr and JayL
due diligence requirements

This a small segment of my regular job, this service has it's own racket of players but at least the people I deal with are straight arrows in general and a pleasure to work with.

Its hard for legitimate businesses to purchase or even lease buildings/office space in the Kabukicho area, because so much property is owned or controlled by the Yakuza. Especially since so many major companies have to comply with ISO 9000/ 14000 due diligence requirements, and investigate title holders, etc before a real estate purchase can be made.

Often, major players decide to buy up a chunk of land in Shinjuku for office space, but have cancelled their plans because investigations show that one or more of the tenants is connected to the Yakuza, and the major player can't be seen as being willing to negotiate buy-outs with organized crime syndicates.

This issue has been compounded by the 2012 laws that made it a crime to knowingly do business with organized crime syndicates. There is a sizable amount of real estate, and not just in Kabukicho, that is in limbo because it is owned in whole or in part by yakuza groups and cannot be purchased, leased, or rented by any legitimate businesses.

This issue has been compounded by the 2012 laws that made it a crime to knowingly do business with organized crime syndicates. There is a sizable amount of real estate, and not just in Kabukicho, that is in limbo because it is owned in whole or in part by yakuza groups and cannot be purchased, leased, or rented by any legitimate businesses.

Wow. That is interesting. I knew that the yakuza were powerful, but I didn't realize that legitimate businesses couldn't develop in certain areas due directly to them. I guess if you really think about it, it makes sense, but it just makes you wonder how much power and influence they really have in this country.

didn't realize that legitimate businesses couldn't develop in certain areas due directly to them.

It's only been fairly recently. I think the law that was passed saying that it's illegal to do business with yakuza is only, what, 5 years old? But that certainly puts Japanese society in a bit of a pickle, if it's illegal to do business with the yakuza, so there's no way to take land/buildings, etc off their hands even if they WANT to sell...

It looks like that new building, with movie theater, is almost finished. Does anybody know the opening date? Should be interested what changes happen around it.