How miserable is June?

RoboReptar

TAG Member
Reaction score
Probably heading back to Tokyo in June but everyone has been telling me that the humidity and heat will kill me. Coming from the West Coast of the US where I get very little humidity, how awful does it get during the day and will it even be worth coming?

I don't mind the rain and actually prefer rainy weather, the humidity scare from friends is making me wonder if I should hold off till September though.

Usually its raining a lot but its not too hot yet.

Probably heading back to Tokyo in June but everyone has been telling me that the humidity and heat will kill me. Coming from the West Coast of the US where I get very little humidity, how awful does it get during the day and will it even be worth coming?

I don't mind the rain and actually prefer rainy weather, the humidity scare from friends is making me wonder if I should hold off till September though.
June is still OK, the humidity and heat is worse after the monsoon ends.

June is typically part of Rainy season. Temps aren't bad, but it has the tendency to rain a LOT. July and August are the killer months. Which is why I try to return home for those 2 months every year...
those two are usually the months I spend in Japan
I usually go there from mid June to end of august, this year I'll stay till end of September for a change.

those two are usually the months I spend in Japan
I usually go there from mid June to end of august, this year I'll stay till end of September for a change.

September is better, but not by much, it doesn't really start cooling down until October.

Reactions: Wwanderer
Thanks for all the responses haha, I'll probably be heading over mid-June. Excited for the rain, just need to plan outings around it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Thanks for all the responses haha, I'll probably be heading over mid-June. Excited for the rain, just need to plan outings around it.

The Japanese call it "the rainy season", but it isn't anything like as intense or consistent as the sorts of rainy seasons you see in place like SE Asia or the monsoon season in India. It rains quite a bit but not even every day or all that hard usually.

-Ww

September is better, but not by much, it doesn't really start cooling down until October.
I've lived there 3 continuous years so it won't be my first September in Japan.
My favorite month is still August despite the heat, I love the beach in Japan although the water isn't great.

Compared to the pouring California rain from this year, the June rain here will seem like a light shower. It's the humidity that makes it hell. (Source: Lived in Northern California)

June is a bit murky and rainy. July, August and even Sept can be pretty..."sticky." I came from west coast. It is a shock. But I grew up in the southeast so... sort of used to it now. In drugstores, you can find, Men's Biore wipes. Good for wiping off on the really hot days.
Yes, Plus 1 for Airism. If you can find talcum with eucalyptus like they sell in Thailand, try that too.

Reactions: TAG Manager
June is a bit murky and rainy. July, August and even Sept can be pretty..."sticky." I came from west coast. It is a shock. But I grew up in the southeast so... sort of used to it now. In drugstores, you can find, Men's Biore wipes. Good for wiping off on the really hot days.
Yes, Plus 1 for Airism. If you can find talcum with eucalyptus like they sell in Thailand, try that too.
I use the "ice type" body sheet, it's very refreshing

I made the mistake of planning my first trip to Tokyo in the middle of July. Need!ess to say, I got heat stroke the first day. Hence why my next trip was in the spring, and my upcoming trip will be in the fall. Not making that mistake again.

The problem with Japan in the summer isn't the heat, because it can be just as hot in, say, SoCal or particularly inland in California, and there's a lot of places in the US South that are just as nasty as Tokyo or worse in the summer.

The problem is that in Cali and the rest of the US, you are comfortably in a car. The only time you are out of A/C is the walking from the parking lot inside. While in Tokyo unless you can afford to take a cab everywhere, you are walking or on a train.

there's a lot of places in the US South that are just as nasty as Tokyo or worse in the summer.

New Orleans and Houston are roughly Tokyo-level dreadful in the summer, though none of the three match Kyoto ime.

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
The problem with Japan in the summer isn't the heat, because it can be just as hot in, say, SoCal or particularly inland in California, and there's a lot of places in the US South that are just as nasty as Tokyo or worse in the summer.

The problem is that in Cali and the rest of the US, you are comfortably in a car. The only time you are out of A/C is the walking from the parking lot inside. While in Tokyo unless you can afford to take a cab everywhere, you are walking or on a train.

This isn't really a problem if you hydrate properly. Most people who haven't lived here for a while don't get the need for hydration and let themselves get dehydrated, leading to heat stroke on occasion - no reason for it when there's a vending machine with bottled water every 100 meters or so.

New Orleans and Houston are roughly Tokyo-level dreadful in the summer, though none of the three match Kyoto ime.

-Ww

I dunno....Houston and a bunch of southern cities are just nasty the entire summer. I just don't think it's as bad in reality because you have a car in the South.

This isn't really a problem if you hydrate properly. Most people who haven't lived here for a while don't get the need for hydration and let themselves get dehydrated, leading to heat stroke on occasion - no reason for it when there's a vending machine with bottled water every 100 meters or so.
On my first trip, the hotel I stayed at had two coolers in the lobby filled with bottled water, free for the guests. They were very considerate for doing that.