Guest viewing is limited

How much $ for 10 days in tokyo

BankerguyCanada

TAG Member
Reaction score
Im going to Tokyo for 10 days later this year and im pretty excited!

I posted a thread earlier about some places to go. That was pretty helpful. I also did a bunch of research on restaurants bars/lounges etc.

However, its hard to get a sense of how much money im going to go through in 10 days. Hotel is paid for.. but food. Booze (i drink ALOT), shopping. Train. Cabs. Enterance to things like acquarium or other sight seeing things...

Im thinking 250,000 yen? + credit cards... is that overkill? Not enough?

That's reasonable, but if you're going to be active, I think you'll hit that ceiling fairly quickly. If you're conservative, you'll be fine.

Let me give you a very brief outline of some expenses I that I see, just a regular life:
Transportation - Every day, in one month, I use about ~20,000 yen just in daily to/from work. In a tourist position you can either use more or less. The average train ride will run about $3-5 USD (each way) depending on how far you go each time. Most basic cost is about $2.20ish?

Taxis - I use Taxis a lot for work, my average cost for a few kilometers is about $40.00 (Taxi rates increase after 10pm)
They also have reduced the most basic Taxi fee to 410 yen for the first 1.052km. (Monthly taxis for me run about ~21,000 yen)

Food expense - A regular date with my girl and I runs about $80 for a very average meal. (we don't drink, so add a chunk for alcohol if you need it.)

Shopping - Well, this is severely subjective. You can blow millions of yen easily in some parts of Tokyo. However, it can be reasonable...just like anywhere in the world. Don't overpay for junk in the touristy areas....

I'll touch a bit more on alcohol - I have a close Japanese friend of mine who drinks a lot. His *WEEKLY* spending on beer and other various drinks ranks up at about $300 USD/week. Some weeks more, some less. If you're using higher class lounges, you'll obviously spend more. (some have table charges, etc.. so that too)

Hope that's somewhat helpful, have a good trip!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Ye
That's reasonable, but if you're going to be active, I think you'll hit that ceiling fairly quickly. If you're conservative, you'll be fine.

Let me give you a very brief outline of some expenses I that I see, just a regular life:
Transportation - Every day, in one month, I use about ~20,000 yen just in daily to/from work. In a tourist position you can either use more or less. The average train ride will run about $3-5 USD (each way) depending on how far you go each time. Most basic cost is about $2.20ish?

Taxis - I use Taxis a lot for work, my average cost for a few kilometers is about $40.00 (Taxi rates increase after 10pm)
They also have reduced the most basic Taxi fee to 410 yen for the first 1.052km. (Monthly taxis for me run about ~21,000 yen)

Food expense - A regular date with my girl and I runs about $80 for a very average meal. (we don't drink, so add a chunk for alcohol if you need it.)

Shopping - Well, this is severely subjective. You can blow millions of yen easily in some parts of Tokyo. However, it can be reasonable...just like anywhere in the world. Don't overpay for junk in the touristy areas....

I'll touch a bit more on alcohol - I have a close Japanese friend of mine who drinks a lot. His *WEEKLY* spending on beer and other various drinks ranks up at about $300 USD/week. Some weeks more, some less. If you're using higher class lounges, you'll obviously spend more. (some have table charges, etc.. so that too)

Hope that's somewhat helpful, have a good trip!
Drink prices seem to be all over the place in tokyo. A lot of the bars i researched on had crazy cheap happy hours. Some of the nicer upscale places like hotels in bars or standing bars in ginza looked to be priced like $15 for a cocktail or import liquor.
Ill probably mix it up... i wanna do cheap college student hole in the wall type bars.. and i wanna see some of the best tokyo has to offer :-D

I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world >.< so im used to paying $$$ :(

I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world >.< so im used to paying $$$ :(
That'll help control your expectations then...

I know people that blow through cash like a banshee when they're in town and wind up in shock...

Drink prices indeed, are all over the place. There are places that are completely reasonable, cheap and the atmosphere reflects that.

I'd be curious to see how you fared on your trip, if you don't mind. It's nice to get some metrics from various people to help give better recommendations.

Y
That'll help control your expectations then...

I know people that blow through cash like a banshee when they're in town and wind up in shock...

Drink prices indeed, are all over the place. There are places that are completely reasonable, cheap and the atmosphere reflects that.

I'd be curious to see how you fared on your trip, if you don't mind. It's nice to get some metrics from various people to help give better recommendations.
Yea sure. I wont be there for months but ill be posting here while im there for sureee

Yeah, drinking prices are highly dependent on what you drink and where. If you are okay with cheap beer, you can drink your face off at a lot of places for the equivalent of like $30-40 with nomihoudai. At the other end, there's microbrew places where you can easily spend over $100 in a night.

I have my high and low spending weeks. Usually I'm somewhere between 100K-150K/week. I can go as low as 70K and up to 300K/week. I rarely go shopping or do any activities. So I'm a big spender on food and alcohol (I drink alot aswell). You'll probably be fine on your budget :)

Im going to Tokyo for 10 days later this year and im pretty excited!

I posted a thread earlier about some places to go. That was pretty helpful. I also did a bunch of research on restaurants bars/lounges etc.

However, its hard to get a sense of how much money im going to go through in 10 days. Hotel is paid for.. but food. Booze (i drink ALOT), shopping. Train. Cabs. Enterance to things like acquarium or other sight seeing things...

with the hotel paid I'd spend great 10 days with 250 but that's me and you are you. in Tokyo you can spend 250k yen in one night or live with it 3 months.

that's a lot of beer :jawdrop:
150 beers if you buy it in the super market

Reactions: TAG Manager
Ye

Drink prices seem to be all over the place in tokyo. A lot of the bars i researched on had crazy cheap happy hours. Some of the nicer upscale places like hotels in bars or standing bars in ginza looked to be priced like $15 for a cocktail or import liquor.
Ill probably mix it up... i wanna do cheap college student hole in the wall type bars.. and i wanna see some of the best tokyo has to offer :-D

not that in Japan you can drink any where outdoor, I often walk drinking my beer from the convinient store.
also there are a lot of cheap plans with "all you can drink" for 15$

Booze (i drink ALOT)

This can get pricey quickly if you're in the wrong joint. Some places here charge nearly a thousand yen for a shot of (regular grade) whiskey, and the prices go up quick if you like quality alcohol. I've had plenty of 30-40 thousand yen bar tabs just drinking on my own.

Jesus.... You guys spend a hell of a lot more than me! =P

Dates with girls - $20... with alcohol (Kin no Kura4lyfe)
Bars - $20 (HUB, happy hour, that's like 4-5 drinks)..

I mean if you're used to expensive life, you know you can pay anywhere from $5-$500 a meal, depending on the class of place you're at. Drinks, $2-$20 for regular cocktails, wines $1-$1,000,000... Transportation, you can really save if you pay attention and really plan your trips. JR lines are cheapest if you're going one or two stops (80Y I think was the minimum fare), Tokyo Metro however is significantly cheaper for long distance runes (170Y-270Y) and there are Tokyo metro stations often times very close geographically to JR stations. Other lines are situationally cheaper, but you can really save money by planning ahead of time. Avoid Taxis and Uber (way expensive). Buses are fairly reasonable, and you can usually get transport via bus or car, depending on the establishment you wanna go to.

Rest depends on what kind of fun you're looking at. p4p can range from $30 to over $1000, all depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Personally, I budgeted $1000 / week when I was here on vacation, and that felt about right to me. $2500 for 10 days, you'll have a blast IMO :)

If you plan to use credit cards also that should be enough cash. Most restaurants and taxis you can use cards. You'll need cash for trains and fast food (ramen included).

Now if you plan P4P then cash is advised. I assume most independents only accept cash and the shops that accept cards usually seem to charge a 10-20% service charge. Also, if you stay away from the touts in Roppongi and Kabukicho then you should be ok.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Jesus.... You guys spend a hell of a lot more than me! =P

Dates with girls - $20... with alcohol (Kin no Kura4lyfe)
Bars - $20 (HUB, happy hour, that's like 4-5 drinks)..

I mean if you're used to expensive life, you know you can pay anywhere from $5-$500 a meal, depending on the class of place you're at. Drinks, $2-$20 for regular cocktails, wines $1-$1,000,000... Transportation, you can really save if you pay attention and really plan your trips. JR lines are cheapest if you're going one or two stops (80Y I think was the minimum fare), Tokyo Metro however is significantly cheaper for long distance runes (170Y-270Y) and there are Tokyo metro stations often times very close geographically to JR stations. Other lines are situationally cheaper, but you can really save money by planning ahead of time. Avoid Taxis and Uber (way expensive). Buses are fairly reasonable, and you can usually get transport via bus or car, depending on the establishment you wanna go to.

Rest depends on what kind of fun you're looking at. p4p can range from $30 to over $1000, all depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Personally, I budgeted $1000 / week when I was here on vacation, and that felt about right to me. $2500 for 10 days, you'll have a blast IMO :)

The secret to a happy life is to spend all of your money on alcohol and food :)

Material stuff doesn't make me happy...except for watches. Those are my weaknesses in life.

Those bars with happy hours I rarely visit. Maybe it's just me but japanese people behave really well when it comes to happy hours. For me it becomes like a competition. Went to a place called Legends sportsbar in Roppongi with a friend couple of years ago. We drank so much the bar owner told us to stop.

Went to a place called Legends sportsbar in Roppongi with a friend couple of years ago. We drank so much the bar owner told us to stop.

Speaking of Roppongi, Hobgoblin is on the other end of the Roppongi drag and is a nice place to meet friends.

2500-3000 should be good for 10 days. It all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to live frugal or go all out. If you are trying to maximize your money for play time or to get the most out of your money there are alot of budget meal places. i liked going to family mart. It is a good place to get some decent cheap food and beer. Onigiri all day!!! hahaha

750yen for an all day unlimited pass on the yamanote line

Entrance fees for clubs usually around 20-$50usd

Also there is a 7 day pass japan rail that you can go to many places for around 260 usd but you have to purchase prior to arriving in japan.

Uh...how much are you going to put on your credit cards?

Don't order a Diamond Martini at the Ritz-Carlton lobby bar.

General rule of travel: Take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you expect to need.

-WW

Also there is a 7 day pass japan rail that you can go to many places for around 260 usd but you have to purchase prior to arriving in japan.

That information is outdated. Since March this year you can get the pass at selected stations in Japan. This is on a trial basis and so far limited to one year. Among other major stations you can get at Tokyo station and Shinjuku. I haven't tried yet though. This is based on information from the official website and valid for all passes (7, 14 and 21 days).

Uh...how much are you going to put on your credit cards?

Don't order a Diamond Martini at the Ritz-Carlton lobby bar.

General rule of travel: Take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you expect to need.

-WW
I was hoping not to use CC's. But bring them just incase. If i end up putting another 100,000yen on there thats fine. I googled the martini you mentioned. Thats pretty crazy. I read 18k USD ! Wow!

That information is outdated. Since March this year you can get the pass at selected stations in Japan. This is on a trial basis and so far limited to one year. Among other major stations you can get at Tokyo station and Shinjuku. I haven't tried yet though. This is based on information from the official website and valid for all passes (7, 14 and 21 days).
Oh wow, didn't even know that and good to hear. Though, I'll mostly likely be ordering the pass prior to my trip (yup, it's official now!) to save time and simply due to routine.

Back to the initial question, as people already mentioned try an avoid using taxi's since most of places you'll want to go to will very much likely be accessible by train.

As for food, I budget around 1000 to 2000 yen per meal, which would equal up 6000 yen per day. For the most part that works for me since I sometimes don't even eat breakfast (usually don't here at home) and you can easily get meals below 1000 yen, so any surplus can go towards the more pricier meals. I might add a little bit more if you think you'll also spend a bit on snacks/desserts, and also budget for special meals you might have (i.e. wagyu beef, high end sushi place). Unfortunately I'm not much of a drinker, so my style of budgeting may not apply to you.

Also probably best to make an itinerary of your time in Tokyo and research which places require entrance fees and such and also take those into account.

I googled the martini you mentioned. Thats pretty crazy. I read 18k USD ! Wow!

It is basically a marketing gimmick, was reported by the media and is listed various places as the "world's most expensive" cocktail. It contains a one carat diamond, I believe.

-Ww