Guest viewing is limited

How much $ for 10 days in tokyo

The only important use of money is expenditures on women and children...

You know this sentence could have gone so wrong from here. Happy I checked who is the OP (I don't normally do) so I didn't choke on my curry.

if you not shopping,i think 250000 is ok,have a good trip

Lmao im not spending nearly as much money wtf. I'm looking an expense of 100,000 yen for the entire month I've been here and that includes my food, transportation and the souvenirs i even ended up donating money to disaster relief (10,000 yen). And I'm not just power saving my money by eating at mcDonalds or conbini's every night. I've been to places like the New York bar at the Park Hyatt. I look to be spending double on my p4p experiences. Now that i think about my second largest bill at a restaurant was covered by this cougar who showed up and was on the prowl later and also bought me drinks :p:p:p. I'm not a big drinker, i have to drink something really sweet or my body will just try to reject immediately :vomit: and It has nothing to do with alcohol content either because i can put away a sprite and sake cocktail with ease but give me a Kirin and ill be drinking it all night to avoid vomiting but i digress. On souvenirs my rule of thumb is "if i can buy it online its not worth getting as a souvenir" so that rule out pretty much everything thats hobby related models, figurines, and other novelty Japanese stuff like samurai sword handled umbrellas.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Lmao im not spending nearly as much money wtf. I'm looking an expense of 100,000 yen for the entire month I've been here and that includes my food, transportation and the souvenirs

Right, but you have to acknowledge that a budget at that level is limiting in terms of experiences. There is no leaving Tokyo at that level. That's 3000 Yen a day. You aren't going to any non-free temples, seeing Kabuki or Sumo or a baseball game...you're not eating in any good restaurants or doing a day trip to Nikko or Kamakura...and certainly not taking the train to Nagoya or Kyoto (unless you aren't including a JR pass that you bought before you left)...

i.e my Shinkansen costs on my 13 day trip are going to be 70,000 Yen just by themselves (Tokyo-Nagano, Nagono-Tokyo, Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Hiroshima, Hiroshima-Kyoto, Kyoto-Tokyo)...

Certainly we all have to make our budgetary decisions on what matters and I am actually impressed that you can spend a month in Tokyo at 100K but, for most tourists, that amount isn't enough to see/do what they want...

Right, but you have to acknowledge that a budget at that level is limiting in terms of experiences. There is no leaving Tokyo at that level. That's 3000 Yen a day. You aren't going to any non-free temples, seeing Kabuki or Sumo or a baseball game...you're not eating in any good restaurants or doing a day trip to Nikko or Kamakura...and certainly not taking the train to Nagoya or Kyoto (unless you aren't including a JR pass that you bought before you left)...

i.e my Shinkansen costs on my 13 day trip are going to be 70,000 Yen just by themselves (Tokyo-Nagano, Nagono-Tokyo, Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Hiroshima, Hiroshima-Kyoto, Kyoto-Tokyo)...

Certainly we all have to make our budgetary decisions on what matters and I am actually impressed that you can spend a month in Tokyo at 100K but, for most tourists, that amount isn't enough to see/do what they want...
I did indeed get the JR pass and go outside Tokyo with it and its not included in my price. I could have saved more money if I didn't go the 21 day pass and got the 7 day pass and just went did everything i wanted out of Tokyo in that week now i know for next time though. Yes almost all of my tourism consisted of free tourism because i feel most of the better places to go are actually free why go to tokyo tower when you can just go to the Tokyo metropolitan building for free? Another money saver is travelling alone as I and I'd assume most people tend to spend more money when the the presence of friends/company. It also helps that i never need to take a taxi because the couple times where i did not make the last train i just rode my electric longboard back to my apartment and it got from rappongi to machiya in less than an hour.

That is totally a valid way to travel...and how I traveled when I was younger...but it is important to recognize what kinds of experiences go into that kind of budget...I mean, if you hate temples but prefer parks then that cut costs and is better for you...my temple budget for the trip is 7K...which may seem crazy to some (fair) but there are like 22 temples I want to do and most are 300-500Y entrance fee...if you want to have cultural experiences like Kabuki (which I enjoyed) then I think you can catch one act for like 1K...A ticket to Sumo is like 10-14K for an upper level seat...all that stuff adds up...if you removed the luxury from my trip (i.e. the 30K yen meals and such), I would say I could do my trip for 150K over 13 days and that's zero suffering, I don't have to remove a thing)...BUT...I also realize that 70K for shinkansen makes that a bit higher than for most...because I can afford it, taking the fastest class of train is much more convenient route-wise and time-wise and so the expense is worth it...if I went with a JR pass then I could get that number down to 80K for 13 days for in-japan spending...I could not go any lower than that and do what I wanted...

That is totally a valid way to travel...and how I traveled when I was younger...but it is important to recognize what kinds of experiences go into that kind of budget...I mean, if you hate temples but prefer parks then that cut costs and is better for you...my temple budget for the trip is 7K...which may seem crazy to some (fair) but there are like 22 temples I want to do and most are 300-500Y entrance fee...if you want to have cultural experiences like Kabuki (which I enjoyed) then I think you can catch one act for like 1K...A ticket to Sumo is like 10-14K for an upper level seat...all that stuff adds up...if you removed the luxury from my trip (i.e. the 30K yen meals and such), I would say I could do my trip for 150K over 13 days and that's zero suffering, I don't have to remove a thing)...BUT...I also realize that 70K for shinkansen makes that a bit higher than for most...because I can afford it, taking the fastest class of train is much more convenient route-wise and time-wise and so the expense is worth it...if I went with a JR pass then I could get that number down to 80K for 13 days for in-japan spending...I could not go any lower than that and do what I wanted...
All the temples I've visited were free. The only temple i found that i had to pay to get in was Toji in kyoto and i was like NOPE there was a bazaar going on on the temple grounds outside the paywall that day so i checked that out instead.

Totes, there are none in Tokyo worth paying for (I am doing the two biggies plus the 47 ronin one)

In Kyoto though there are a bunch:

Ginkakuji 500
Nanzenji 500
Kyomizudera 400
Shoren-in 500
Ryoanji 500
Kinkakuji 400
Tenryu-ji 500
Daitokuji 400

It depends on your interests, obviously, I like temples...Nikko, Nara, Hiroshima, Kamakura all have a bunch that I want to see with admission fees...

Totes, there are none in Tokyo worth paying for (I am doing the two biggies plus the 47 ronin one)

In Kyoto though there are a bunch:

Ginkakuji 500
Nanzenji 500
Kyomizudera 400
Shoren-in 500
Ryoanji 500
Kinkakuji 400
Tenryu-ji 500
Daitokuji 400

It depends on your interests, obviously, I like temples...Nikko, Nara, Hiroshima, Kamakura all have a bunch that I want to see with admission fees...

I suggest adding Sanjusangendo (unlike any other Buddhist temple I've ever seen in layout and concept) and Saihoji with its amazing moss garden to your Kyoto list. The latter requires advanced reservations (limited admission each day) and a bit of a trek out to Arashiyama, a western burb of Kyoto.

-Ww

Is Saihoji the one where you have to mail them like a postcard no more than 7 days in advance? If so, I did want to go there but it seemed too complicated an arrangement to get it to work...I am doing Tokyo-Tokyo-Kyoto-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Kyoto-Kyoto-Tokyo etc... and there seems to be no logical way to mail the postcard with a return address I could guarantee I would be at when a response arrived...I'd prob need some help if I was to get it done...i.e. A TAG type willing to send and receive the postcard ...I know which day I will be in Arashimaya...

The other one I will def add to my Kyomiduzera day! thx!

PS - I was also worried about them making me do stuff (chanting or what not) as I don't speak any Japanese and it will be January, which seems less than optimal for moss viewing...

Yes, Saihoji is the one with the inconvenient postcard system, and indeed January is not the best time to see it, not at all. So maybe better to put it off to a future trip. They do require you to participate in some sort of Buddhist ceremony before entering the garden, but you don't have to speak Japanese to participate. Simply follow what everyone else is doing. The postcard may have to be submitted in Japanese, I don't remember. There is some small/typical charge for admission I think.

-Ww

there are like 22 temples I want to do
That's way too many. After the first 20 they all start to look the same.

I do go to a temple every 3 or 4 days, but only to get rid of all the change that has accumulated in my pocket.

But that's no reason not to go! I bet if you do 20 girls in 10 days they also start to look the same but it would still feel amazing and nobody would stop! :ROFLMAO:

Like when you order that interesting looking yakitori and it turns out to be skewered chicken anus. It's nice to be able to pick a substitute.

Yeah, because you would want to order a second one for take-away and bring back home as souvenir.

But that's no reason not to go! I bet if you do 20 girls in 10 days they also start to look the same but it would still feel amazing and nobody would stop! :ROFLMAO:
As long as there's a good place for beer before and after, I will suffer through it. The Meiji shrine is good for this.

No such thing! I love temples! I have some wonderful routes picked up to wander through the various cities and hit temples on the way. I don't doubt that for most people that would be too much...but I love that stuff...even so, I have them ranked so that I know which ones are most skippable in case I get tired or what not...I would say that about 10 are essential.

Last edited:
If anyone is actually interested...here is my list...I could thin out Kyoto if I needed...and Nara is an optional day (I was there last trip)...so if I need an extra day in Kyoto or I decide to do Osaka for a day, I can easily swap out Nara for a non-temple day. So I would say I could get it down to 14 if I really needed to buy extra time to do something else...

Tokyo
Sensoji
Meiji
Sengakuji
Kyoto
Ginkakuji
Honen-in
Nanzenji
Kyomizudera
Chion-in
Shoren-in
Fushimi Inari
Ryoanji
Kinkakuji
Tenryu-ji
Daitokuji
Kamakura
Great Buddha
Hokokuji
Hasadera
Nagano
Zenkoji
Nara
Todaiji
Kasuga
Kofokuji
Hiroshima
Itsukushima

Last edited:
Hey guys. Thanks for all the info!!

My trip is no longer 10 days. Its now for 2 weeks!!. My quarter bonus came in. After i get hit by the exchange rate... It works out to 33500 yen per day as my cash budget. Anything beyond that ..ill need to pay CC

Based on people in this forumn that amount may be more than enough or barely enough! Lol wide variery of life styles here

Hey guys. Thanks for all the info!!

My trip is no longer 10 days. Its now for 2 weeks!!. My quarter bonus came in. After i get hit by the exchange rate... It works out to 33500 yen per day as my cash budget. Anything beyond that ..ill need to pay CC

Based on people in this forumn that amount may be more than enough or barely enough! Lol wide variery of life styles here
It all depends on your eating/spending habits. Like i can easily survive on just a 1000 yen a day for food but you obviously would want to go beyond that. With 1000 yen youre only eating at McDonald's or conbinis

Okay so take it from the guy that initially went HAM before someone else put my ass to shame, I spent about 750,000 in tokyo. But that included fun. I went to the bars primarily, granted I was there for a few days, however if you are just wanting to go to Tokyo just for sight seeing and what not, 250,000 is overkill, especially if you plan on using a Air BnB or business hotel. You can find cheap places to eat, and most tourist attractions are relatively cheap. If you want to do the night life that is another thing. Some places will charge as much as 5000 just because you are a guy, add to the fact that beer (the cheapest drink I might add too) is basically 1000. What I would suggest is to do the night life for two weekends I assume you will be here is to pick and choose when and where you would want to go. I highly suggest AgeHa anywhere between 4000-5000 to get in. I also recommend going to their website to see what events are going on before you make that commitment. I have turned on a lot of people where I work on to this club and every time they have nothing but praises. Bar scene ask around, I am more or less pick and choose and if they have Guinness on tap I will choose that bar over anything else. If you are a foodie, you are in luck, from michelin star restaurants, including a ramen one, to a view street vendors everything is delicious.