Guest viewing is limited

How to deal with a mite/ダニ infestation

MongerInAStrLnd

Unicorn Wrangler
Reaction score
Finally realized that the rash down below that won't go away for weeks has zero STD correlation and that it's dani bites. Doc had me on acyclovir until all the tests came back negative.

Antihistamines and steroid lotion has me on the mend in only a few days.

Aside from cleansing the whole room in fire, any recommendations for getting them out of my tatami bedroom? Already did an intensive cleaning of all bedding and sprayed anti-dani stuff all around but haven't gone as far as a spray bomb.

Spray bomb, wash everything that can go in a washing machine in HOT water (60 plus) and clean all hard surfaces with bleach. Also do the tatami spikes for a tatami room.

Be prepared to do it all again two weeks later if you miss any of the eggs.

Things that can't be washed at high heat - Put them in an industrial dryer at high heat for 40 minutes.
Things that can't go in a dryer - Place them in black garbage bags. Tie shut and leave in direct sunlight for at least a day.
Store the things that you have heat-treated in garbage bags until you're sure that the whole apartment is clear. (If you miss eggs, the buggers will return).

Reactions: DireWolf98
As someone who waged an epic battle against mites a few years ago, I genuinely feel your pain because you are in for a long, awful ordeal. But let me share a few things I learned first before going into the eradication methods.

One, confirm they are mites and what type. In my case, mine were red mites. Long story short, I was babysitting a parrot in my penthouse condo, where I kept the windows and balcony doors open all day, and the little shit would happily call out to all of the stray birds and invite them into the apartment while I was gone, even intentionally throwing birdseed toward the balcony to entice them in. That ended up with feral birds coming into my condo and bringing their mites with them. Little fucker ended up with mites all over his wings but it didn't seem like he gave a shit...but he didn't seem too pleased getting doused with mite poison every day as a consequence and was very vocal about how unhappy he was with the treatment. Mite bites are usually on your lower extremities, often on thighs and in the groin area, and can usually be identified by being two or three small itchy bumps very close together. I guess mites will bite you, not like the taste, but bite you again a couple of times just to make sure. But that also means that mites won't infest your unit just for the sake of biting YOU, because they don't like humans. They'll stay near a host, which is usually feral birds.

Two, that means you need to check the exterior of your house/apartment. Most commonly, mite infestations will be due to a birds making a nest somewhere that mites spread out in search of food while the nesting bird is gone. A/C ducts, under the eaves of your roof near windows, etc., are places to check for feral birds/animals nesting or making homes. Those need to be wiped out or the problem will never go away. Again, mites are there for a source animal, not you. Remove the source, and they'll eventually leave.

Three, once you've identified the source, you basically need to destroy every area mites can hide...and with tatami, that is the PERFECT hiding place and I'm thinking you may have to just dump all of your flooring. In my case, they were hiding in the hollow structure of the parrot cage and also in my carpets and rugs. All were tossed. Not wanting to poison myself or my apartment, I tried an experimental cedar oil treatment, which was basically a $500 "fogger" and a $150 gallon of cedar oil, which I then used to fog up my entire apartment three times. If you've ever seen videos of guys using foggers to destroy wasp nests, that's what it looked like...and then my unit reeked of fresh cedar for weeks. I've read stories saying that the cedar oil treatment is a hoax, but the mites were gone after that.

It goes without saying, I also removed the host (parrot). Fucker went home in a new cage, covered in unpleasant mite dust and bitching up a storm, and I never volunteered to watch him again.

YMMV, but I think at the very least you'll have to fog/bomb your apartment and I have no idea what those options are in Japan. Shit, I might consider just moving apartments. Another pointer, mites are nocturnal animals and generally come out at night to bite you. They crawl up the legs of chairs or your bed and up your legs and like to bite in warm, dark, moist, covered areas (hence the bites around your groin). What mites don't like, however, is Vick's Vapor Rub. I'm assuming you can get it in Japan. I used to rub it around my ankles, knees and wrists and that would generally lower the number of times I got bit each night. Not sure what you can do if you're sleeping on the floor, but what I started doing was sleeping on my sofa and also rubbing Vick's on the legs of the sofa to keep them from crawling up.

If/when you do fog/bomb your apartment, remember that mites like to sleep as close to their prey as possible. That's why they were generally nesting in the crevices of my parrot's cage (inside the frame, under the newspaper, under the slide-out tray, etc.) and will also hide near you, so in your bedframe, crevices of your mattress, headboard, etc. When I fogged my apartment, I dumped my mattress and then repeatedly cedar fogged the bed frame and headboard, along with everything else in my apartment. I dumped my comforter, sheets, and any linens you are inclined to keep I would first put in an airtight garbage bag for a month and then wash in hot water and bleach.

Again, remove the source and the mites will leave. That means if you can figure out where they came from (bird nest outside your window) and then you leave your apartment for a few weeks, they'll most likely leave as well. Short of doing that, you just have to kill them all.

Good luck with that. Mites are a fucking curse, for sure.

Last edited:
Of the 12 items contained in this blogpost, I didn’t think of #6...

https://dengarden.com/pest-control/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Dust-Mites-in-Your-House
  1. Lower the temperature and humidity level
  2. Remove dust by wiping and vacuuming
  3. Wash fabrics in hot water at a minimum of 130°F (54°C)
  4. Steam clean carpets, rugs, and furniture
  5. Freeze items of clothing and stuffed animals
  6. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth (DE) on beds and carpeting
  7. Use a tea tree oil/eucalyptus spray
  8. Use a hypoallergenic mattress and pillow or an anti-allergy protector
  9. Replace carpets with hard flooring
  10. Don't make your bed in the morning
  11. Get rid of curtains, cushions, and soft furnishings
  12. Keep pets out of the bedroom
If sprinkling anything, I’d be concerned about making an even greater mess. Actually, if it works on mites as it does on cockroaches, I might consider boric acid ( which comes in inexpensive yellow plastic 800g cannisters at most DIY stores ) but would double check first. Also since the targeted areas for mites tend to be things like bedding, mattresses, sofas, and tatami... there are two concerns - how to vacuum or wash it out, and making sure it does not eat away or ruin fabric.

If don’t have one of those air cleaners, I’d consider getting one with a dehumidifier function.

The tatami ( which I don’t have to deal with anymore ) are a real pain. Until I looked it up, I didn’t even know of the mite insecticide (dani sacchuzai) types that needed to be sprayed into the mats with a needle-like applicator:

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/cleaning.html

Tatami has an additional problem which can happen any time but tends to occur more often during season changes from dry to humid or humid to dry, the dreaded tatami ticks. This requires store-bought chemical interference, which you will gladly pay 1000 yen for because these bites keep you from sleeping. Even if they don't wake you up, your tossing and turning child will. So tiny you will not see them, these bugs deliver a noticeable punch. They are called "dani" which the typical dictionary translates as a tick or mite, a blood-sucking parasitic arachnid. The most popular weapon against them is an aerosol spray with a small needle that is inserted into the tatami mat 6 (small tatami) or 8 (original "old" tatami") times at evenly spaced points, each point receiving a 15-20 second injection. The name is "Dani ah-su". The 300ml yellow, red and white can has illustrations on it of the dani and how to insert the needle in the tatami, so it is fairly easy to find.

The poison is not considered to be strong, but I plan at least an hour out of the house right after a "treatment". Instructions on the can ask you not to spray eating utensils, pets or chldren or to use more than once a week. Washing hands and taking off shoes when coming back inside help prevent reintroduction of "dani" into your home, which are brought in via pet paws, shoes or a child's hands that have been touching things on the ground outside.
“Dani Earth” ダニアース
https://www.earth.jp/products/dani-earth-300/index.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Keihan Chikan
Of the 12 items contained in this blogpost, I didn’t think of #6...

https://dengarden.com/pest-control/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Dust-Mites-in-Your-House
  1. Lower the temperature and humidity level
  2. Remove dust by wiping and vacuuming
  3. Wash fabrics in hot water at a minimum of 130°F (54°C)
  4. Steam clean carpets, rugs, and furniture
  5. Freeze items of clothing and stuffed animals
  6. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth (DE) on beds and carpeting
  7. Use a tea tree oil/eucalyptus spray
  8. Use a hypoallergenic mattress and pillow or an anti-allergy protector
  9. Replace carpets with hard flooring
  10. Don't make your bed in the morning
  11. Get rid of curtains, cushions, and soft furnishings
  12. Keep pets out of the bedroom
If sprinkling anything, I’d be concerned about making an even greater mess. Actually, if it works on mites as it does on cockroaches, I might consider boric acid ( which comes in inexpensive yellow plastic 800g cannisters at most DIY stores ) but would double check first. Also since the targeted areas for mites tend to be things like bedding, mattresses, sofas, and tatami... there are two concerns - how to vacuum or wash it out, and making sure it does not eat away or ruin fabric.

If don’t have one of those air cleaners, I’d consider getting one with a dehumidifier function.

The tatami ( which I don’t have to deal with anymore ) are a real pain. Until I looked it up, I didn’t even know of the mite insecticide (dani sacchuzai) types that needed to be sprayed into the mats with a needle-like applicator:

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/cleaning.html

Tatami has an additional problem which can happen any time but tends to occur more often during season changes from dry to humid or humid to dry, the dreaded tatami ticks. This requires store-bought chemical interference, which you will gladly pay 1000 yen for because these bites keep you from sleeping. Even if they don't wake you up, your tossing and turning child will. So tiny you will not see them, these bugs deliver a noticeable punch. They are called "dani" which the typical dictionary translates as a tick or mite, a blood-sucking parasitic arachnid. The most popular weapon against them is an aerosol spray with a small needle that is inserted into the tatami mat 6 (small tatami) or 8 (original "old" tatami") times at evenly spaced points, each point receiving a 15-20 second injection. The name is "Dani ah-su". The 300ml yellow, red and white can has illustrations on it of the dani and how to insert the needle in the tatami, so it is fairly easy to find.

The poison is not considered to be strong, but I plan at least an hour out of the house right after a "treatment". Instructions on the can ask you not to spray eating utensils, pets or chldren or to use more than once a week. Washing hands and taking off shoes when coming back inside help prevent reintroduction of "dani" into your home, which are brought in via pet paws, shoes or a child's hands that have been touching things on the ground outside.
“Dani Earth” ダニアース
https://www.earth.jp/products/dani-earth-300/index.html

I would be careful with diatomaceous earth. I don't know if it works on mites, but it works wonders on roaches. Apparently it sticks to their legs and then eventually suffocates and dehydrates them. One of the buildings I oversee had a constant roach problem coming from the trash chute dumpster room, where roaches would be attracted to the trash and then crawl up the chute and infest all the upper floors. We tried every type of insecticide to no avail, and then finally I bought thirty pounds of DE and had my staff dust the entire trash room...and I mean, it looked like a fucking winter wonderland in there. Roaches disappeared within a week.

However, it's basically a finely ground rock dust and it can potentially be a very serious irritant. If you get it in your eyes or breathe it into your lungs it'll burn like shit and possibly cause allergies, particularly with the young or elderly. I don't know if you've ever played with fire extinguishers or the dust they emit, but it's very similar to that.

Again, no idea if it'll work on mites, which are of a completely different species and, in my opinion, hardier than the average roach. They can live for many weeks with no food or water, and the only method vets have for curing mite infestations in birds is to use actual poisonous dust on the animal, which is something vets would avoid if they could. In any event, I learned something new today. Never knew there was a specific type of mite in tatami mats. Judging by the number of nights I ended up on my tatami flooring drunk, naked and passed out, I'm guessing I either didn't have them or they didn't like me.

I don't know if it works on mites, but it works wonders on roaches.
It works on literally any insect. The stuff is basically ultrafine lapping powder - it grinds holes in the sealed outer layer of their exoskeletons, which causes them to dehydrate when the exoskeleton is no longer water and airtight.

I've seen what asbestos does to people. I'd be very nervous about "rock dust".

Reactions: impish
I've seen what asbestos does to people. I'd be very nervous about "rock dust".
This stuff is fossilized algae, it’s harmless to humans, or any other soft tissue life form. It’s only dangerous if you have an exoskeleton. Or possibly dangerous to lizard people, assuming you believe they exist.

Reactions: NorthTriangle
Finally realized that the rash down below that won't go away for weeks has zero STD correlation and that it's dani bites. Doc had me on acyclovir until all the tests came back negative.

Antihistamines and steroid lotion has me on the mend in only a few days.

Aside from cleansing the whole room in fire, any recommendations for getting them out of my tatami bedroom? Already did an intensive cleaning of all bedding and sprayed anti-dani stuff all around but haven't gone as far as a spray bomb.

Dani mats are very effective for mattresses and futons. Search for something like this on amazon.jp.....

VASLON ダニ取りシート5枚 ダニ捕獲シート ダニ捕りシート ダニパッド ダニ防止 駆除 誘引 ダニ対策 殺ダニ剤

Reactions: NorthTriangle
Just get one of thos smoke grenade type things you find in all drug stores. They are usually clearly marked with what bugs they are affective for and what size of room.

You need to get out your house for about 6 hours or something after using them though.

Ive had this happen couple times and the smoke grenade things always worked immediately for me.

Just get one of thos smoke grenade type things you find in all drug stores. They are usually clearly marked with what bugs they are affective for and what size of room.

You need to get out your house for about 6 hours or something after using them though.

Ive had this happen couple times and the smoke grenade things always worked immediately for me.

I recall using those once for roaches in an old office. I went in during the holidays, set it off and returned a few hours later. There were a few roaches on the floor ...on their backs, wriggling in death throes.

I also remember having to tape Saran Wrap over the smoke detectors in the ceiling so the “smoke” wouldn’t set it off.

I also felt a bit guilty. If it were my own home, I probably wouldn’t be cool with dousing everything with insecticide. I mean, you have to clear away or cover anything that might come in contact with something you eat or drink .... food, drink, utensils, surfaces for food prep. Also, bedding ... killing them -yes. However, sleeping with an insecticide costed pillow ....? Naw.

They have disinfectant “bombs” for shower and bath rooms that operate on a similar principle except they release toxic chlorine dioxide to kill fungus, I think ... one brand boasts silver ions too. I wonder whether ( assuming the chlorine dioxide dissipates... and doesn’t remain as a residue and doesn’t permanently damage surrounding textiles etc., ) it might be an alternative for disposing of mites and roaches.

Unfortunately most bug bombs won't work because they deal with the fuckers that you can see, but dani are microscopic and seem to be unaffected by conventional sprays. I battled them for 3 weeks earlier this year and recommend these dani specific products:

Dani bug bomb

Dani spray (for sheets and clothes)

anti-dani packets (keep them under your sheets. I bought a bunch and stuck them everywhere)

Dani Vacuum with UV Lamp: This is a last resort because it's pretty pricey but it was the fastest and most effective for me.

Inspired by @C4ssandra, I looked into Amazon that sell similar products. As a Japanese consumer, llttle less than 5,000 yen products are little challenging to buy.

I read lots of reviews and finally bought this.

I'm happy so far, I bought this.

I get mites issue as I have a cat. I get biten here and there. I have a menthol cream to cure, but I want more peace when I relax on my bed! I scream in the morning when I wake up find a bit on my body! And it was even affecting my other home, which is less than 5 years old appartment, without a cat! OMG!

I bought this to each home. My duvet became little fluffy warmer, when I used it. It's worth buying, than mite catch sheets that do nothing for me...

I didn't post the link, coz my real name was shown on my amazon page. Sorry abt that.

Attachments

• E448DB0B-93E8-4085-8BEC-3CAC2E17E7EA.jpeg
    E448DB0B-93E8-4085-8BEC-3CAC2E17E7EA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • DB7A841F-EF37-4779-AF26-311D8A8AAA1D.png
    DB7A841F-EF37-4779-AF26-311D8A8AAA1D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
From what I've heard tatami should be changed at least every five years. That might help to get rid of mites.

Some tenants will ask the landlord to change any mats before moving into an apartment. Getting pros to spray for bugs before moving in also seems like a good idea.