Guest viewing is limited

How to tell a woman “I like you” in Japanese?

Nelsonammo

TAG Member
Reaction score
Would it just be 好きです? I always assumed that meant I love you which is a bit heavy. I want to tell a woman that I’ve been casually dating thst I really like her and want to keep seeing her but not sure the exact phrase to use. I just don’t want it to come out as a super serious 告白 (love confession).

If she is a traditional Japanese girl then yes, suki desu is usually followed by tsukiatte kudasai which is then way in to the serious zone.

But Japanese being very context sensitive language it also might mean pretty much what you want it to mean; it's all about timing and delivery. I would probably go with something way more vague like it's always nice to spend time with you or similar.

Reactions: Ken1988
You are not japanese so "suki desu" or daisuki desu" is just gonna feel awkward. Unless you're always talking in japanese. If you haven't made your move just go in for the kiss. If you're already past that stage just tell her in english you really like her and want to live together / have sex in the parking garage etc. Just be yourself you'll be fine. No matter how and what you say it's always going to be a little awkward so it doesn't really matter much. Don't over analyze everything :)

Last edited:
Would it just be 好きです? I always assumed that meant I love you which is a bit heavy. I want to tell a woman that I’ve been casually dating thst I really like her and want to keep seeing her but not sure the exact phrase to use. I just don’t want it to come out as a super serious 告白 (love confession).
Daisuki yo anata no koto

Reactions: Frenchy and Ken1988
I once tried this "お元気ですか? わたしは元気です" line and it was in the snow... but the girl must be too young (or the movie being too out of date) that she completely missed what I was implying...:poop:

Why don’t you ask that question to the girl, saying you have someone whom you really like?

Otherwise, “kimi no koto o omouto totemo setsunakute, kimi ga bokuno nakade totemo taisetsu na hito ninatte, kimi no koto ga totemo sukininatte...suki desu. daisuki desu. tsukiatte kuremasenka?”

Reactions: Simonka
Why don’t you ask that question to the girl, saying you have someone whom you really like?

Otherwise, “kimi no koto o omouto totemo setsunakute, kimi ga bokuno nakade totemo taisetsu na hito ninatte, kimi no koto ga totemo sukininatte...suki desu. daisuki desu. tsukiatte kuremasenka?”
You just proposed to the girl.

My recommendation would be お主をお慕い申し候。

Reactions: Ken1988
You just proposed to the girl.

Yeah, as the OP sensed rightly, “sukida” or “sukidedu” is a reduced form of the whole serious sentences.

The OP may want to detach himself slightly from his feeling when he talks about it. He may also use a cotradictory pairing of adverbs to tone it down. For example,

kimi to issho ni iruto tanoshii na. tabun majide suki nanda yone.

Reactions: MikeH and Simonka
kimi to issho ni iruto tanoshii na. tabun majide suki nanda yone.

You just went to the Serious Zone which OP wanted to avoid. Just use the first sentence and skip the second.

Better yet replace it with Frenchy's proposal.

悪くない

I have lately liked "You are not a complete twat" but the best I have managed in Japanese is あんた世界一嫌な人でもない。

Anyone got a better proposal?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have lately liked "You are not a complete twat" but the best I have managed in Japanese is あんた世界一嫌な人でもない。

Anyone got a better proposal?
I could say that, but it would be a lie...

Reactions: Sudsy

I'd go for: "貴方のことが結構気になってるよ。また会いたいんだけど。どう?"
And in case she doesn't respond well to the above your last chance is to try: "いいか?断ってしまったら貴方の家族を殺してあげるんだよ"。Chances are that it will lighten her mood quite a lot. If not then it's because your pronounciation sucks.

You just went to the Serious Zone which OP wanted to avoid. Just use the first sentence and skip the second.

Better yet replace it with Frenchy's proposal.

Maybe it depends on which pair of words could represent the relationship the most:

watashi - anata
boku - kimi
ore - omae
ore - jibun
oi - omansa
warawa - sochi
chinko - manko

気になってるよ

You probably mean 気にいってる

At least, that's what I'd say if I want to say 好きwithout all those connotations