How'd you guys get fluent in basic japanese?

jk637

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

How'd you guys get fluent in basic Japanese?

I've just discovered Hellotalk but hoping to get other inspirations from your experiences.

And if there are any cheats when it comes to learning that would be fantastic. I would love to access those shops that are restricted against non-fluent speakers when I travel to Japan soon.

Thanks,

J

Study from books. And Immersion - surround yourself with the language.

All we watch at our home is Japanese programs 24/7. (Wish our cable company would allow us to pay for just those 3 Japanese channels as the other 100+ channels we never watch) ;)

If you really want to learn Japanese, change your phone and computer’s language to Japanese - that’ll help you learn real quick ;):LOL:

Reactions: Negi77 and jk637
Or for the ultimate learning shortcut, marry someone from Japan. ;)

Nothing helps you learn a language faster than when your wife scolds you in her native tongue when she’s pissed at you. :LOL:

Find a bar where there are no other foreigners. Drink there. A lot.

A little alcohol has been proven to improve language acquisition - it makes you less self conscious about attempting to speak in the target language, as well.

Study from books. There is no shortcut. The Minna No Nihongo textbook series 1 & 2 is the best place to start. Download Anki for learning Kanji through flashcards.
Study from books. And Immersion - surround yourself with the language.

All we watch at our home is Japanese programs 24/7. (Wish our cable company would allow us to pay for just those 3 Japanese channels as the other 100+ channels we never watch) ;)

If you really want to learn Japanese, change your phone and computer’s language to Japanese - that’ll help you learn real quick ;):LOL:
Thanks guys, appreciate the tips.

A little alcohol has been proven to improve language acquisition - it makes you less self conscious about attempting to speak in the target language, as well.

Funny enough, I did get drunk in a bar in Osaka, met a Canadian(?) who introduced me to another bar full of Japanese (on a weekday no less). Failed miserably at talking to them but it was a fun time - for me at least haha

Reactions: Negi77 and Sudsy
Decide to hook up with girls using only Japanese. If a girl insists on speaking English dump her.

The motivation to learn grows to unbelievable levels when you haven't been laid for few weeks.

Decide to hook up with girls using only Japanese. If a girl insists on speaking English dump her.

The motivation to learn grows to unbelievable levels when you haven't been laid for few weeks.
The art of seduction - I'll remember that haha.

I might try that at a HUB next time.

Nihongo Wakarimasen. Nihongo hanashite itadakemasu.

I should probably brush up on body language as well.

While funny this actually does work. For me the motivation was more gaining confidence in conversation skills than sexual frustration though.

Reactions: MikeH
Haha no harm in trying.

I'll give it a go next time I try out the.... HUB?

Just can't imagine how I'll go about starting the conversation haha

FYI At Osaka it was Bar Zero or Zero Bar where I met the Canadian and that was pretty nice.

While funny this actually does work.

It's the good old sink or swim principle. People are genetically coded to be lazy so you need to force yourself to have motivation. And when you have motivation then you can learn anything. I mean how difficult Japanese can be? I've met three year olds who are very good at it.

Reactions: Negi77 and Majestyk

Didn't work for me...........but then again.........

Reactions: Sudsy

But then you end up talking like a Japanese girl...hahahaha

Reactions: MikeH
But then you end up talking like a Japanese girl...hahahaha

Well, this method expects that in order to be able to start talking in a restaurant you have had to learn from the books first. And enough to know the difference.

And as a bonus I give you a shocking way to prevent that: talk to the guys too. I know it's a radical thought but as they say, one time doesn't make you a gay. :p

The added benefit is you might actually find you like talking to all kinds of people and make a few friends in the meantime. And of course if you make a guy friend in Japan he will most probably introduce you to his girl friends.

Reactions: Negi77
Well, this method expects that in order to be able to start talking in a restaurant you have had to learn from the books first. And enough to know the difference.

Nama Beer wu awa skoonamai and point at pitchers.......

And as a bonus I give you a shocking way to prevent that: talk to the guys too. I know it's a radical thought but as they say, one time doesn't make you a gay. :p

Depends on why "they" are.....no scientific proof......

The added benefit is you might actually find you like talking to all kinds of people and make a few friends in the meantime. And of course if you make a guy friend in Japan he will most probably introduce you to his girl friends.

Hasn't happened for me......I've heard a story or two but in general....japanese guys don't share that stuff.....at least not with me

Hasn't happened for me......I've heard a story or two but in general....japanese guys don't share that stuff.....at least not with me

This started right when I came to the country as a student; all my friends wanted to introduce me to all their friends, especially female. Back in the day that made them to appear cool too, I mean they had a foreign friend. :p

And it still continues to this day. Every time I go out drinking with a friend they will be bringing some girls with them. Not of course in the meaning these are for you to take home with but you get to meet new girls anyway, the rest is then up to you.

So maybe it's time for you to get better friends. :p

Reactions: just4fun
So maybe it's time for you to get better friends. :p

"A" friend would suffice but since I hate the human race in general it's not all that easy.