Hypersensitization

If you stay in Japan long enough, you might develop the antibody to the allergens here, namely Japanese Cyprus and Cedar.

I remember when I first went to see a doc because I thought I had a bad case of flu and he makes his tests and all and then very casually says you have kabunchou.

Then he stiffs up, turns to me and says with a serious voice: but foreigners don't get kabunchou!

I was like do we have to make this a race thing too, cannot you just give me the same medicine as to anyone else but double so I can go home?

Allergy test is a simple blood test and will give you all kinds of interesting results. And yes there are plenty of allergens even in the dead of winter. Also the cold/dry air could make you more sensitive to other common allergens that don't bother you in warmer/humid weather, like dani or house dust or cats or something.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
It is incorrect to make the broad statement that kampo is healthier than Western drugs. Just like Western drugs, some kanpo remedies have proven to be very dangerous. Most have proven to be ineffective.

Kampo is generally quackery - there's the occasional effective treatment, but the bulk of it is pretty much placebo effect. It's sad that it actually has government backing....

I can personally attest to this after living and working in China for about 4 years.

I realize that kampo is the Japanese version of Chinese medicine, but they sell most of the same stuff that they do in China. Of course with less options, but the products in the shops in both countries are remarkably similar.

I have tried various Chinese medicines. The ones that worked best were a brown powder I used to quickly remove a very painful canker sore in my mouth, a skin cream to fight off a bad case of jock itch and the tiger balm for muscle tightness and pain.

Another time I drank some sort of herbal mix to help cure myself of the flu and it didn't do jack shit. The doctor was like it will help you but the medicine works slowly....yes...so slowly that is doesn't even work lol.

I have literally had a doctor stare dead into my eyes and tell me to drink a glass of hot water to help cure my flu...I realize hot water and water does help...but there has got to be more to it lol.

The only thing that would make this thread even better would be some advice from Sashasin based on how her grandma in the Ozarks inhaled okra slime to cure her allergies. 99% of the allergy symptoms that start about now and end in May or so in the Kanto area are from Sugi and Hinoki pollen. It has been that way since the 60s when all of the trees planted after the war began to emit pollen. Read about it on Wiki. There are Jibiki doctors all over the place who prescribe very effective modern drugs (not Benadryl or other old school anti-histamines) that will alleviate most of the symptoms and will not make you sleepy or have any other unhealthy side effects. You should also wear mask and glasses if you need too. You can try okra slime, kampo, vitamins or drugs from overseas, but the local approach is the best. Allegra sold OTC here now is also pretty good. I started taking it from this morning and I feel great. Clear as a bell.

Now when you take Allegra, does it relieve all allergy symptoms or just some?

I remember taking Allegra a long time ago and that it really helps a lot when it comes to rhinitis, but I didn't have such itchy eyes until this year so I have no idea how effective it is with relieving itchy eyes/throat.

I am going to buy some Allegra and Algard Clear Block Z after work tomorrow.

Reactions: warubuta
Japanese anti histamines are completely useless. I would suggest you stackup on proper anti histamines everytime you travel. I do the same. Hope you feel better
I think this is case by case. In the US I used to take actifed and sudafed which, along with Benadryl are three of the most popular ones. They al worked o some degree but they all make you sleepy too. In Japan, you are correct many of them don't do jack shit, but some are ridiculously strong. Corugen for example is stronger than any of the US brands. It dries you out completely but it also shuts down half of your brain activity. Be careful with that one.

Now when you take Allegra, does it relieve all allergy symptoms or just some?

I remember taking Allegra a long time ago and that it really helps a lot when it comes to rhinitis, but I didn't have such itchy eyes until this year so I have no idea how effective it is with relieving itchy eyes/throat.

I am going to buy some Allegra and Algard Clear Block Z after work tomorrow.
YMMV

Your Move Mr. Victorious

latest

I don't know about the Algard. But the Allegra works ok for me. The best is the stuff I get from the doc. havent been yet this year and I don't remember what its called.