I bought some SAVAS Weight Up from Don Quixote?

Well, I'm going to try to return this SAVAS Weight Up and order a tub of Dymatize from iherb.

I talked with a nutritionist today and he told me this:

Daily calorie intake goal: At your size, you want to be consuming about 2125 calories daily

Daily protein intake goal: At your size, you need to consume about 187 grams of protein daily

What foods here in Japan do you guys recommend for reaching this goal without me feeling stuffed or ready to vomit at the end of the day? lol

While eating more than 2125 calories a day is easy...eating 187 grams of protein or more looks really difficult without a supplement.

I have been eating a lot of the following:

Eggs, chicken breast, fish (mainly tuna and salmon), a bag of peanuts, bread high in protein with peanut butter, protein bars, edamame, a few glasses of milk and yogurt.

There doesn't seem to be any cottage cheese here in Shizuoka City, though there is a store that sells foreign foods I plan to check out in the near future.

Last edited:
When you are eating the above, how much protein are you getting?

Don't forget that veggies are providing moderate amounts of protein as well.

The thing is I am planning to start counting my protein/calorie intake starting from tomorrow. I pig out on all these foods as often as I can without seriously checking, but I definitely need to know if I'm even getting anywhere near my goal. One thing is for sure, I definitely plan to order a weight gainer online in the near future.

Well, I'm going to try to return this SAVAS Weight Up and order a tub of Dymatize from iherb.

Okay, why dymatise? Do you understand the type of protein you need? At the end of the day, it comes down to the types of protein that the brand uses and how you are planning on using it. Preworkout, postworkout, meal replacement etc

I talked with a nutritionist today and he told me this:

"Blah blah blah calories and body weight blah blah blah protein blah blah"

What foods here in Japan do you guys recommend for reaching this goal without me feeling stuffed or ready to vomit at the end of the day? lol

Okay - go get advice from the nutritionist then.

One thing is for sure, I definitely plan to order a weight gainer online in the near future.

Why would you do that? Didn't I just finish saying mass gainer proteins are a scam? Just buy pure whey isolate and buy your own carbs to add in yourself.

Okay, why dymatise? Do you understand the type of protein you need? At the end of the day, it comes down to the types of protein that the brand uses and how you are planning on using it. Preworkout, postworkout, meal replacement etc

Okay - go get advice from the nutritionist then.

Why would you do that? Didn't I just finish saying mass gainer proteins are a scam? Just buy pure whey isolate and buy your own carbs to add in yourself.

Ok, well I'm also willing to checking this Humapro you mentioned before.

My ideal post workout shake:
Humapro and around 20-30gm of l-glutamine

If you prefer whey and want to gain weight, try around 40-60gm of protein (check how many grams are in each scoop, this may require more than the suggested serving size), 20-30gm of pure dextrose, 20-30gm l-glutamine.resa

What exactly makes this so much better? I am new to this, so I'm just researching more before I choose a product to use. What kind of protein would you say a thin guy with a high metabolism needs most?

While eating more than 2125 calories a day is easy...eating 187 grams of protein or more looks really difficult without a supplement.

I started lifting a year ago ... I'm not a bodybuilder. Some people (that train) compute the necessary protein to be 1.25 * body weight in lbs, that's how much protein you need in grams. My protein intake is now less than that.

You want to gain body mass by drinking protein and going to the gym. Increasing your muscle mass in the process.

Muscle growth is stimulated by the micro tears/damage in the muscle caused by training. Protein (any type, whey, protein from meat or beans, etc) is needed to repair the muscles. If you don't train hard enough you will be wasting your protein intake. Too much protein made *me* feel bloated and my farts were nasty. Silent killers I tell ya!

IMHO get the most energy dense and protein packed powdered supplement your wallet can afford. Go to the gym and train (don't injure yourself). Don't workout ... train ... have clear cut goals (like squat/deadlift 1 rep of 100kg in 8 months). Eat properly. Don't be afraid to experiment! There is no clear cut formula for maximizing muscle growth by protein intake. Sometimes your body will tell you what is the right amount. Listen to your body.

Have you lifted already? The other supplements (l-glutamine, l-citrulline, casseine, etc) are there to help recovery and improve performance ... to make you lift heavier weights ... make you lift more reps. To make you damage your muscle more ... to stimulate them to grow more. Weight training is truly a "no pain, no gain" game.

I started lifting a year ago ... I'm not a bodybuilder. Some people (that train) compute the necessary protein to be 1.25 * body weight in lbs, that's how much protein you need in grams. My protein intake is now less than that.

You want to gain body mass by drinking protein and going to the gym. Increasing your muscle mass in the process.

Muscle growth is stimulated by the micro tears/damage in the muscle caused by training. Protein (any type, whey, protein from meat or beans, etc) is needed to repair the muscles. If you don't train hard enough you will be wasting your protein intake. Too much protein made *me* feel bloated and my farts were nasty. Silent killers I tell ya!

IMHO get the most energy dense and protein packed powdered supplement your wallet can afford. Go to the gym and train (don't injure yourself). Don't workout ... train ... have clear cut goals (like squat/deadlift 1 rep of 100kg in 8 months). Eat properly. Don't be afraid to experiment! There is no clear cut formula for maximizing muscle growth by protein intake. Sometimes your body will tell you what is the right amount. Listen to your body.

Have you lifted already? The other supplements (l-glutamine, l-citrulline, casseine, etc) are there to help recovery and improve performance ... to make you lift heavier weights ... make you lift more reps. To make you damage your muscle more ... to stimulate them to grow more. Weight training is truly a "no pain, no gain" game.

Yes, one thing I have always hated most about serious weight training is a situation where you need to PUSH HARDER to tear the muscles...yet it you work out TOO HARD...you just ruptured some biceps, snapped some tensions, etc.

I basically carefully gauge when to end a workout with just being so tired I can't lift anymore and if my arms are so swollen, they feel like they would explode if pushed just one rep further...that is when I stop.

I'm pretty sure this is a really amateur way to go about building muscle...but I really don't want to permanently damage my body.

So if I do a really intense workout and my arms are swollen tight and it feels really good...it this actually a shit, no gain workout because I am not in pain? And if I literally need to be in pain during and after a workout...exactly how much pain? How thin is the line between pain and gain and seriously destroying your muscles? I have always wondered about this...

Last edited:
Aside from eating at restaurants, are there literally no foods within convenient stores that are anywhere near 1,000cal?

I have been recommended by two different trainers to eat at least 2,500cal a day, which includes my weight in grams of protein.

There is a meal at Gasto called ワイルドプレート (The Wild Plate) which is like around 1,215cal which is great but I can't eat at Gasto everyday lol.

I realize there are places like Saizariya, Yoshinoya, Sukiya, but any high calories foods that I could cook at home or pick up on the go at a convenient store?

I want to avoid buying a lot of meat everyday too...because that sure adds up.

Reactions: MikeH
A banana is around 100 kcal so you could try eating 25 per day. Or you could do as Matt Damon in Martian and eat just potatoes. Medium sized ones have something like 120 kcal so just 21 of them per day would suffice.

I actually never thought getting enough calories in Japan to be a problem, you should probably tag along with me for a day and see how the calories add up. I need to train like crazy to avoid going to the too fat category.

I would humbly suggest that you consider more than the caloric aspect when embarking on your project. Choose foods that are nutrient dense and not harmful to your body. There are plenty of high calorie foods that damage the heart, liver, and kidneys.

Get advice from reliable sources.

TAG folks are always there to give advice and it's often quite good. However, there are times that it's best to go with the science. Yes, I realize that the filed of nutrition is a highly dynamic one, yet there are still good choices and bad choices when it comes to diet.

Here's the source I trust the most, The Harvard School of Public Health site, The Nutrition Source:
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

A banana is around 100 kcal so you could try eating 25 per day. Or you could do as Matt Damon in Martian and eat just potatoes. Medium sized ones have something like 120 kcal so just 21 of them per day would suffice.

I actually never thought getting enough calories in Japan to be a problem, you should probably tag along with me for a day and see how the calories add up. I need to train like crazy to avoid going to the too fat category.

Yes, because eating only 25 bananas and 21 potatoes sounds so easy lol.

Seriously though...are you eating pasta, pizza and steak all the time? How do you do it?

I would humbly suggest that you consider more than the caloric aspect when embarking on your project. Choose foods that are nutrient dense and not harmful to your body. There are plenty of high calorie foods that damage the heart, liver, and kidneys.

Get advice from reliable sources.

TAG folks are always there to give advice and it's often quite good. However, there are times that it's best to go with the science. Yes, I realize that the filed of nutrition is a highly dynamic one, yet there are still good choices and bad choices when it comes to diet.

Here's the source I trust the most, The Harvard School of Public Health site, The Nutrition Source:
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Exactly, that is why it is annoying because I keep finding foods high in calories that are unhealthy and all the healthy food is not nearly as high in calories. I need to reach at least 2,500cal a day and my weight in grams in protein, but of course I want to do a clean bulk not a dirty bulk.

I 'should' usually eat 600 calories more on my workout days (which is 3-4 times a week, sometimes more) and my normal calorie intake would be around 1800-2000 but I'm happy if I can actually eat around 1200-1500 a day... my allergy is probably making it a bit more difficult but if someone tells me that I would have to eat 2500 a day I wouldn't really know how either... like.. I don't even have the time to eat that much o_O

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
I 'should' usually eat 600 calories more on my workout days (which is 3-4 times a week, sometimes more) and my normal calorie intake would be around 1800-2000 but I'm happy if I can actually eat around 1200-1500 a day... my allergy is probably making it a bit more difficult but if someone tells me that I would have to eat 2500 a day I wouldn't really know how either... like.. I don't even have the time to eat that much o_O

Yes, aside from eating pounds of meat like some wild beast, I'm going to have to order that Humapro or L-gutamine Hotlinebling was mentioning about.

Reactions: Anna Summer
I don't even have the time to eat that much o_O

The guys running ultra competitions, like through Germany or France in couple of weeks, will need something like 9-10 thousand kcals per day. That's the time when you start needing something more than normal food, considering they only have something like 6-8 hours for eating and sleeping per day :p.

The Japanese Olympic marathoner Naoko Takahashi said in one interview she can do a two kilo steak or 50 pieces of sushi easily in one sitting. I have met her once and that girl is tiny, something like 160 cm and 45 kg.

Yes, one thing I have always hated most about serious weight training is a situation where you need to PUSH HARDER to tear the muscles...yet it you work out TOO HARD...you just ruptured some biceps, snapped some tensions, etc.

I basically carefully gauge when to end a workout with just being so tired I can't lift anymore and if my arms are so swollen, they feel like they would explode if pushed just one rep further...that is when I stop.

I'm pretty sure this is a really amateur way to go about building muscle...but I really don't want to permanently damage my body.

So if I do a really intense workout and my arms are swollen tight and it feels really good...it this actually a shit, no gain workout because I am not in pain? And if I literally need to be in pain during and after a workout...exactly how much pain? How thin is the line between pain and gain and seriously destroying your muscles? I have always wondered about this...

you will be in pain in your first few months or when you get injured. DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) is real. I felt it. when I forget to work a muscle group and start training them again I still get DOMS.

"swollen" muscles during training is the "pump" ... feels good and bad at the same time. many lifters are pump chasers. you don't have to be always in pain though. but there will be phases in training where you have to grit your teeth through.

A) light weights >10 reps, you'll feel the pump/pain.

B) heavy max/max+/max++ weights 1-3 reps you'll feel the pump/and definitely the pain.

choose your poison. A is best for main lifts and accessories. B is for main lifts on heavy days.

do you have a training regimen already? or is it anything goes lifting? (IMHO bad idea) do you already know what your primary lifts are? what are your accessory exercises? how many days to train?

there are pre-made structured lifting programs in the net. 5/3/1, GZCL, Stronglifts, etc. these require you to train smartly. these are pre-made so it might work for you (or not). I started w/ Stronglifts, moved to 5/3/1, then GZCL in a span of 1 year. I stopped using them bec at my age (and work) I can't recover fast enough. I have customized (mishmashed actually) a program to fit my needs based on principles i've learned/liked from other programs.

you will push yourself off the edge always if you don't train smartly. smart training means you end the workout when ALL your sets/reps are finished ... NOT when you're ready to crawl out the gym in pain.

no torn pecs/biceps for me ... I've injured myself bec of carelessness more than bec of the actual weights! somebody was using the squat rack, I used the overhead press machine w/o proper warm up had a tear somewhere in my shoulder. 2 weeks off training, 4 weeks w/ nagging pain. stopped climbing. still can't do my pullups. left feels shoulder weak and unstable. other one was severe pain on the front delts bec of improper inclined bench press form.

the torn biceps/pecs I only see from serious powerlifters (lifting/pulling/pressing 2x-3x bodyweight) AND *show off guys* (so don't be one)

I forgot to mention the importance of rest ... aside from eating and training this is the single most important thing you must have. the muscles repair when you rest, too much training ... muscles don't get a chance to recover. you'll be fatigued, whigh might result in more injuries.

you will be in pain in your first few months or when you get injured. DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) is real. I felt it. when I forget to work a muscle group and start training them again I still get DOMS.

"swollen" muscles during training is the "pump" ... feels good and bad at the same time. many lifters are pump chasers. you don't have to be always in pain though. but there will be phases in training where you have to grit your teeth through.

A) light weights >10 reps, you'll feel the pump/pain.

B) heavy max/max+/max++ weights 1-3 reps you'll feel the pump/and definitely the pain.

choose your poison. A is best for main lifts and accessories. B is for main lifts on heavy days.

do you have a training regimen already? or is it anything goes lifting? (IMHO bad idea) do you already know what your primary lifts are? what are your accessory exercises? how many days to train?

there are pre-made structured lifting programs in the net. 5/3/1, GZCL, Stronglifts, etc. these require you to train smartly. these are pre-made so it might work for you (or not). I started w/ Stronglifts, moved to 5/3/1, then GZCL in a span of 1 year. I stopped using them bec at my age (and work) I can't recover fast enough. I have customized (mishmashed actually) a program to fit my needs based on principles i've learned/liked from other programs.

you will push yourself off the edge always if you don't train smartly. smart training means you end the workout when ALL your sets/reps are finished ... NOT when you're ready to crawl out the gym in pain.

no torn pecs/biceps for me ... I've injured myself bec of carelessness more than bec of the actual weights! somebody was using the squat rack, I used the overhead press machine w/o proper warm up had a tear somewhere in my shoulder. 2 weeks off training, 4 weeks w/ nagging pain. stopped climbing. still can't do my pullups. left feels shoulder weak and unstable. other one was severe pain on the front delts bec of improper inclined bench press form.

the torn biceps/pecs I only see from serious powerlifters (lifting/pulling/pressing 2x-3x bodyweight) AND *show off guys* (so don't be one)

I forgot to mention the importance of rest ... aside from eating and training this is the single most important thing you must have. the muscles repair when you rest, too much training ... muscles don't get a chance to recover. you'll be fatigued, whigh might result in more injuries.

scorpioni6ths is really on to something when he advises you to rest in between sessions in order to allow the body to repair itself and recover. In addition, there are foods that aid in this process.

Research indicates that cheery juice will greatly reduce inflammation and supplies the body with the nutrients needed to recover:

May Increase Strength and Reduce Muscle Soreness
cherry-juice-and-cherries.jpg

Physically active individuals may be particularly interested in tart cherry juice’s effect on muscle strength and soreness.

A majority of studies have reported beneficial effects.

In one study, long distance runners drank either 24 ounces (710 ml) of tart cherry juice or a placebo in the seven days leading up to as well as on the day of a race.

The runners given cherry juice experienced three times less pain during and after the race compared to those given the placebo (6).

In another study, runners given 16 ounces (480 ml) of cherry juice in the days leading up to and immediately following a marathon experienced less muscle damage, soreness and inflammation. They also recovered faster (7).

Similar results have been observed after supplementing daily with 480 mg of tart cherry powder (8, 9, 10).

Additionally, tart cherry juice and supplements may increase muscle strength.

One group of men was given tart cherry supplements or a placebo in the days leading up to and immediately following an intense resistance training session.

The tart cherry group lost up to 4% less muscle strength as a result of the training when compared to men given the placebo (10).

Tart cherry supplements may also reduce muscle breakdown, muscle soreness and speed up recovery in resistance-trained individuals (9, 10, 11).

https://authoritynutrition.com/10-tart-cherry-juice-benefits/

Daily protein intake goal: At your size, you need to consume about 187 grams of protein daily

187 seems very exact. Did he tell you how he came up with that number?
The usual calculation is body weight * a value between 1,4 and 2. (The opinions and methods hugely vary here)

My diet is based on roughly 3000 calories per day, and includes this:
- oat meal (buy online or at costco)
- raisins (buy online)
- walnuts (buy at costco)
- chicken breast (anywhere)
- brown rice (buy online)
- plain jogurt with at least 4,5 gram of protein per 100 gramm (anywhere)
- peanut butter (anywhere)
- bananas, apples (try finding a local small shop)
- frozen vegetables and fresh vegetables (buy anywhere, and get A LOT)
- eggs (anywhere)
- canned tuna (anywhere)

Regarding the original question about supplements: as most people here, I also recommend getting a high-level protein online. The weight gainer you got is some protein mixed with maltodextrin (which is, in general, a GOOD idea). I prefer mixing it myself though.

Regarding when to take it: Protein in powder form is usually taken in the morning, then before and after your workout.

I would recommend taking BCAA's before, and Whey (or whatever you like) mixed with carbs (Maltodextrin, raisins, bananas) after your workout.

I'm very envious at people who're eating not enough calories...
Do they? For a reasonable price? That would be awesome,

I only have a "my basket" in my area, unfortunately.
Not as cheap as back in Europe by far, but it seems less hassle than ordering online or costco.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
For a reasonable price?

Hey, don't be greedy! Can't have both good selection and reasonable prices, can we? :p

You can get decent oat from Hokkaido in supermarkets in Tokyo but it will be around 1.000 yens per kilo.

iHerb is less than 3 dollars for 900 grams and Costco should be around that same for Quaker oats if you get them in 4 kg boxes.

I find I have no trouble with weight gain if I stick to the American staples of burgers, pizza, burritos and potato chips. A good rotation of each helps keep the bulk on. And no fancy supplements needed. Of course makes you feel like a train wreck but any hardcore diet may have a side effect or 2.

187 seems very exact. Did he tell you how he came up with that number?
The usual calculation is body weight * a value between 1,4 and 2. (The opinions and methods hugely vary here)

My diet is based on roughly 3000 calories per day, and includes this:
- oat meal (buy online or at costco)
- raisins (buy online)
- walnuts (buy at costco)
- chicken breast (anywhere)
- brown rice (buy online)
- plain jogurt with at least 4,5 gram of protein per 100 gramm (anywhere)
- peanut butter (anywhere)
- bananas, apples (try finding a local small shop)
- frozen vegetables and fresh vegetables (buy anywhere, and get A LOT)
- eggs (anywhere)
- canned tuna (anywhere)

Regarding the original question about supplements: as most people here, I also recommend getting a high-level protein online. The weight gainer you got is some protein mixed with maltodextrin (which is, in general, a GOOD idea). I prefer mixing it myself though.

Regarding when to take it: Protein in powder form is usually taken in the morning, then before and after your workout.

I would recommend taking BCAA's before, and Whey (or whatever you like) mixed with carbs (Maltodextrin, raisins, bananas) after your workout.

I have been reading studies on how people think there might be a connection between sudden diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and the use of maltodextrin because the body just treats it as sugar when it is absorbed.

This leads to insulin resistance, which leads to type 2 diabetes. It is a little scary. I will only try out one tub of this stuff called Serious Mass. After I am finished using this, I plan to most likely just make my own home-made, high-calorie Whey shakes, which will obviously be a lot more healthful.

Have you used mass gainers, whey protein and just made your own shakes before? I'm new to this, so I'm trying everything just once. I'm interested in Humapro and the L-glutamine Hotlinebling mentioned, but I'm not sure which L-glutamine product he recommends since there are a lot of them...maybe it doesn't matter?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland