I love Japan but....

Not entirely true ;) the sushi vinegar can contain wheat sometimes. So you gotta be careful. Wheat is in much more food than you actually think. I once got served mugi gohan even tho me and my Japanese friend communicated with the staff that mugi is no-no.
Ah. Yes didn't realize that. Maybe not so easy after all haha.
Sushi and some drops of soy sauce have never given me a reaction - I guess I'm probably not as sensitive as some other people .

Reactions: Anna Summer
What is that thing anyway? I have looked at it many times in my local store but then always grabbed the double priced real thing next to it. Reading the package they make it sound like real cream but anyone who has lived in Japan more than a week will know that any milk based thing that is decent will cost you an arm, a leg and a kidney so cheap stuff cannot be good.

It's milk solids and vegetable fats, IIRC. Used it once to make a cream sauce, and the oil separated out, leaving a clumpy mess floating in a pond of rancid scum.

Looking up the ingredients, I remembered correctly. 3.5% nonfat milk solids, 40% vegetable fat, remaining 56.5% made up of (in order of quantity) soybean based emulsifiers, sodium metaphosphate, artifical flavouring, stabilising agents, thickening polysaccharides, and carotene for colour.

There's a reason the stuff never graces my kitchen.

Reactions: MikeH
I once got served mugi gohan even tho me and my Japanese friend communicated with the staff that mugi is no-no.

We joked with this one friend's wife that's it is so easy to keep him in check. If he starts acting like a jerk just serve him mugicha and collect the insurance payments.

3.5% nonfat milk solids, 40% vegetable fat, remaining 56.5% made up of (in order of quantity) soybean based emulsifiers, sodium metaphosphate, artifical flavouring, stabilising agents, thickening polysaccharides, and carotene for colour.

Well, if that doesn't sound appetising then I don't know what does! If they use that then no wonder the whipped cream in Japan many times tastes like sawdust.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Ah. Yes didn't realize that. Maybe not so easy after all haha.
Sushi and some drops of soy sauce have never given me a reaction - I guess I'm probably not as sensitive as some other people .

Could just be a gluten sensitivity. My friend has that and she can eat a certain amount until she notices it. For me it’s right away :dead:

We joked with this one friend's wife that's it is so easy to keep him in check. If he starts acting like a jerk just serve him mugicha and collect the insurance payments.

Kinda funny but mean at the same time :rolleyes:

At least the "donki" in this name actually means donkey, and not "don qui"ote.

Confusing yeah, but it's actually donkii in this name with long i when in donkihote it's short. ;)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
most neighbourhoods have a 24 hour grocery store in reach these days,

We out here DO NOT have supermarkets that are open 24hrs We have BigA which is a small hole in the wall wants to be a supermarket when it grows up, but they do not carry cheese.

Good point not about the 24 hour deli. But you only have those in big cities anyway. In Japan, after midnight, Ramen or Konbini. The well stocked conbinis now have some pretty good stuff. You probably can't get Mac and cheese but you can probably get a bag of carbonara that tastes reasonably good. And a small bottle of wine to go with it.

Yeah you are right. Somehow I thought the argument was on shops within walking distance, and what I came up with was delis. If you live in places where you need a car (i.e. most places in the States except for a few big cities), the things are different and delis aren't the option.

Btw, now I realize that the OP's talking about one of "Route 16 suburbs" of Tokyo. You need a car there. The locals' way of living is a bit different from the Tokyoites, as far as I know.

In Japan, after midnight, Ramen or Konbini. The well stocked conbinis now have some pretty good stuff.

Unfortunately at midnight the Konbini are pretty cleared out for at least the next couple of hours (when the deliveries arrive) of anything worth eating.

Unfortunately at midnight the Konbini are pretty cleared out for at least the next couple of hours (when the deliveries arrive) of anything worth eating.

Well, the original issue is still a valid one; rule based society sticks to the rules even when it's not the optimal solution to anyone. But more than that it starts to look like your problem is you live in the middle of the nowhere.

Scrap that; it doesn't even seem to be in the middle of it but in some side areas of nowhere. :eek::D

We out here DO NOT have supermarkets that are open 24hrs We have BigA which is a small hole in the wall wants to be a supermarket when it grows up, but they do not carry cheese.

Time to get a car and stop drinking? :)

Well, the original issue is still a valid one; rule based society sticks to the rules even when it's not the optimal solution to anyone. But more than that it starts to look like your problem is you live in the middle of the nowhere.

Scrap that; it doesn't even seem to be in the middle of it but in some side areas of nowhere. :eek::D

Maybe Impish's place is not even on any map! That would be cool actually. Some days (usually sunday evenings like... now) I wish I lived in such a place , blissfully out of reach, with a low-stress job like owner of the local Bikkuri Donkey!

Reactions: MikeH
Uber Eats! :D
Probably doesn't help @impish but for the rest of us in a real city.

Reactions: impish
The point of the post was not whether delivery or take out was available as a whole. The point was I wanted mac and cheese at midnight and the only place that has it is Bikkuri donki, and I didn't want to spend an hour sitting at there establishment eating it when I could do so at home.

I would say that at the time of the post 95% of all restaurants in my city were closed. Thanks for the crap opinion though.

I don't know where you lived in the US that you had poor delivery and take out availability, but I have never had that issue in the US even when I wasn't living in the city, and any time I go to a restaurant in the US for take out their entire menu is available not just 1 or 2 items.

I suspect you live in metro Tokyo which would be why you have such great ability for takeout and delivery (past midnight even). I don't live in Tokyo. I live out far enough that we generally don't have much in the way of delivery or takeout.

Im sorry this happened and I really want to make mac'n cheese for you to make it all better, and deliver it to your house.
Also I now really wanna eat Mac n'cheese.

Famiresu in general don't do a lot of takeout orders - that's not their business model.

If you want to make real mac and cheese at home, most neighbourhoods have a 24 hour grocery store in reach these days, and they all have cheddar and various pastas now, it's not like the old days when there was literally nothing but spaghetti and hokkaido white on the shelves. Getting actual cream may be hit or miss though... that "ホイップ" garbage is just horrible. If you want a treat, try topping it with grated mimolette... just adds a lovely bit of tanginess.
Seconds on the Mimoretto

Reactions: Sudsy