Guest viewing is limited

If you commute through Tokyo station be warned....

Stupid stupid stupid if you ask me.

Not so stupid. While it may be counterintuitive, the overall flow of people is actually significantly better if everyone stands, as there is less of a queue, IIRC it's over 25% improved throughput in a crowded area.

It also produces less wear on the escalator itself, extending service life and reducing maintenance downtime.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Not so stupid. While it may be counterintuitive, the overall flow of people is actually significantly better if everyone stands, as there is less of a queue, IIRC it's over 25% improved throughput in a crowded area.

It also produces less wear on the escalator itself, extending service life and reducing maintenance downtime.

so all of us who are trying to make short train connections are stuck waiting for the next one because JR fails to provide a reasonable amount of time between trains, and people who climb the stairs do so at a snail's pace failing to let people who are in a hurry get up the stairs. I still think it's stupid.

Reactions: BB0523
Task case is a test case. You have stairs to walk up.

For very rare cases, uncommon sensed people don't move even at walk up side, makes me more speechless. Everyone had to sacriface their precious seconds being fussed. And when I looked at the person ??? face, the eldery madamme was in angry face. Maybe it was a little moment for her the empowerment of harrassing every others on that particular escalator.

I think Tokyo stations and trains in the mornings are like playing Fornite, pretty much. Everybody is angry and if they can, they will kill you.

Ok, maybe not kill, but everybody is running and pushing people away just to win two seconds, is a complete fucking nonsense. I had once a pretty bad fight with an old guy who pushed me and one poor old lady who went to the ground and couldn't make him to apologize (he even was surprised I was yelling at him!!).

So for me every single rule that make this fuck people to slow down a little and realize there are actually living humans near, is pretty much welcomed.

They should just scrap all escalators. Everyone uses the stairs and gets a bit of excercise.
Elevators strictly for people that need them.

Thanks for the article. Im really interested to know WHY this is the case. It seems so counter-intuitive.

The last sentence in that article hints to the correct answer. There is too much empty space in the walking side of the escalator.

Let's think it this way; if you don't walk in the escalator you will have a two persons standing in every step of the escalator. Now if you allow walking in one side you usually end up with some space between the walkers. Most often you will have one step in between the people.

This means you will need to walk at the same pace than the escalator moves in order to just draw even with the standing side. Most escalators seem to be running at the pace of 0.75 meters per second and people walking up at the escalators move at the speed of 0.7 m/s. Let's be generous and say that now both sides move the same amount of people.

But that is at the optimal situation. How many times you have seen someone stop at the walking side or two grannies blocking the whole escalator? Also people tend to stop just before the end of the escalator to prepare themselves to get off. At the same time it's much more difficult to fuck up the standing side capacity. That means the walking side in real life situations moves less people than the standing side.

Last edited:
The last sentence in that article hints to the correct answer. There is too much empty space in the walking side of the escalator.

Let's think it this way; if you don't walk in the escalator you will have a two persons standing in every step of the escalator. Now if you allow walking in one side you usually end up with some space between the walkers. Most often you will have one step in between the people.

This means you will need to walk at the same pace than the escalator moves in order to just draw even with the standing side. Most escalators seem to be running at the pace of 0.75 meters per second and people walking up at the escalators move at the speed of 0.7 m/s. Let's be generous and say that now both sides move the same amount of people.

But that is at the optimal situation. How many times you have seen someone stop at the walking side or two grannies blocking the whole escalator? Also people tend to stop just before the end of the escalator to prepare themselves to get off. At the same time it's much more difficult to fuck up the standing side capacity. That means the walking side in real life situations moves less people than the standing side.
Thanks!

Reactions: MikeH