Guest viewing is limited

If you had to do it all over again, what would you have done differently?

Joshusan

Highly Functioning Pervert
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I'm moving to plague city this year as soon as I get the green light from the dispatch company - don't try to dissuade me. I'm getting old, and this is probably the last opportunity I'll have to experience life in Tokyo.

This is a very broad question, but I'm in the process of planning everything in the minutest detail. If you had to move to Tokyo again, what would you have done differently this time round?

Anything as simple as what you would have packed in your suitcase would be helpful. As a question within a question, do you think it's wiser to bring a huge wad of cash (my industry kept rolling during the lockdown and I saved a fortune) or to invest in dividend stocks/funds to give me constant support during my time in Tokyo? I intend to stay on for at least 2 years - perhaps longer if I am successful.

To give you a bit of my background, as you might have guessed, I'm a serial foreign pervert and the Chinese/Korean girls in my hometown simply don't quite measure up to Japanese ladies. I'm calculating a budget lifestyle so that I can experience heaven on earth for at least 2 years without suffering hardship. Any advice you can give me I would consider nuggets of gold.

Kind regards,

Joshusan

Reactions: DrCoffee
Hello everyone,

So I'm moving to plague city this year as soon as I get the green light from the dispatch company - don't try to dissuade me. I'm getting old, and this is probably the last opportunity I'll have to experience life in Tokyo.

This is a very broad question, but I'm in the process of planning everything in the minutest detail. If you had to move to Tokyo again, what would you have done differently this time round?

Anything as simple as what you would have packed in your suitcase would be helpful. As a question within a question, do you think it's wiser to bring a huge wad of cash (my industry kept rolling during the lockdown and I saved a fortune) or to invest in dividend stocks/funds to give me constant support during my time in Tokyo? I intend to stay on for at least 2 years - perhaps longer if I am successful.

To give you a bit of my background, as you might have guessed, I'm a serial foreign pervert and the Chinese/Korean girls in my hometown simply don't quite measure up to Japanese ladies. I'm calculating a budget lifestyle so that I can experience heaven on earth for at least 2 years without suffering hardship. Any advice you can give me I would consider nuggets of gold.

Kind regards,

Joshusan

welcome
We all hate you already :D

Reactions: Joshusan
Can't envision myself ever getting married. It always seemed like the shittiest of shit deals available.

Smart! It is the shittiest deal and I'm also in it. If I ever had one more chance, I'd rather die than get married.

Well, consider the fact that some idiots have made the same mistake not only twice, but three or more times.
True, that’s more comforting , thanks
Also I don’t live with her anymore anyway so the wound is mostly healed now
I can’t imagine people living with someone they can’t stand anymore for the rest of their lives.

Well, consider the fact that some idiots have made the same mistake not only twice, but three or more times.
Oh Jesus, talking about me again.............sigh..........

Hello everyone,

Kind regards,

Joshusan
I’d probably start by not asking a bunch of jaded profligate womanizers for moving advice.

If you had to move to Tokyo again, what would you have done differently this time round?

I would have moved when I was a just young clueless grad student and immersed myself in the free pussy that was available allover to you just because you were white.

Wait, you said "differently", never mind then.

Reactions: Keihan
Hello everyone,
I'm getting old, and this is probably the last opportunity I'll have to experience life in Tokyo.

Never lived in Tokyo so take this for what it cost you and sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, but if I were to do it all over I most certainly wouldn't do it again as an older adult. Absolutely not.

Life in big-city Japan is for the young and dumb. It's the perfect place to be young and dumb because there are far less consequences when compared to other major cities in normal countries. You can get blackout drunk at a club and stagger the train station at 5am and you 1) won't get jacked, 2) won't get the shit beat out of you and 3) even if you go tumbling down the elevator and crack your fucking head open, rather than laugh or take selfies with your jumbled corpse, the station staff and passers-by will actually stop to help.

But you're probably far too old to be hitting dance clubs. Probably too old to be hitting the gaijin bars, unless you want to be that graying creep always trying to make small-talk with the college bimbo gaijin-hunters that want nothing to do with you and are young enough to be your daughter.

Now, if you're older AND also making a very fat salary and can afford the finer things in life, that's different. But you did use the word "dispatch," and back in my day that only meant one thing and it wasn't anything positive. So that begs the obvious questions...

1) How old are you?

2) What do you do for a living?

3) How far into your 30s/40s were you when you lost your virginity?

And leave the rest to the scumbags of TAG.

You can get blackout drunk at a club and stagger the train station at 5am and you 1) won't get jacked, 2) won't get the shit beat out of you and

I wouldn't know any of that as it obviously never happened to me.

Because it was 6AM when the station staff woke me up from the platform and handed me one of my shoes they have found. And a positive thing is also the old style Japanese toilets as you can just lay in the floor and don't even have to lift your head to puke cleanly in to the toilet.

So yeah, you won't get the shit beat out of you even if you deserve it.

I wouldn't know any of that as it obviously never happened to me.

Because it was 6AM when the station staff woke me up from the platform and handed me one of my shoes they have found. And a positive thing is also the old style Japanese toilets as you can just lay in the floor and don't even have to lift your head to puke cleanly in to the toilet.

Wise response. Whoever said growing up a communist was bad needs to work in the salt mines of Siberia. Long live Leon Trotsky! :p:):D

Wise response. Whoever said growing up a communist was bad needs to work in the salt mines of Siberia. Long live Leon Trotsky! :p:):D

Trotsky liked Siberia so much he did it twice. Though my favourite commie is of course Stalin. Without his purge of the red army in 1937 Europe would have been even more fucked up than it was later in the war.

Trotsky liked Siberia so much he did it twice. Though my favourite commie is of course Stalin. Without his purge of the red army in 1937 Europe would have been even more fucked up than it was later in the war.
He sure didn't want to leave Mexico though......

Well, I usually deserved it, so even though I was in Japan, a country that generally lacks men with the balls to give me a well-deserved ass kicking, karma intervened and I would regularly go tumbling down the stairs at random JR and subway stations and end up with black eyes, sprained wrists and hurt pride. But it was cool. My students were convinced I sustained those injuries brawling at a bar and that supposedly made me cool. As a 25yo masquerading as a "teacher," the thought of that infamy making the 17-18yo girls in my morning 3-nen class moisten their panties to my supposed awesomeness made it all worthwhile.

Never lived in Tokyo so take this for what it cost you and sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, but if I were to do it all over I most certainly wouldn't do it again as an older adult. Absolutely not.

Life in big-city Japan is for the young and dumb. It's the perfect place to be young and dumb because there are far less consequences when compared to other major cities in normal countries. You can get blackout drunk at a club and stagger the train station at 5am and you 1) won't get jacked, 2) won't get the shit beat out of you and 3) even if you go tumbling down the elevator and crack your fucking head open, rather than laugh or take selfies with your jumbled corpse, the station staff and passers-by will actually stop to help.

But you're probably far too old to be hitting dance clubs. Probably too old to be hitting the gaijin bars, unless you want to be that graying creep always trying to make small-talk with the college bimbo gaijin-hunters that want nothing to do with you and are young enough to be your daughter.

Now, if you're older AND also making a very fat salary and can afford the finer things in life, that's different. But you did use the word "dispatch," and back in my day that only meant one thing and it wasn't anything positive. So that begs the obvious questions...

1) How old are you?

2) What do you do for a living?

3) How far into your 30s/40s were you when you lost your virginity?

And leave the rest to the scumbags of TAG.
1) I'm a very young looking 32 (my Asian students here in Australia thought I was only 22 and it was always hard to command there respect).
2) I don't want to reveal too much about myself because I don't know who is patrolling this forum, but I work in the wine industry, although by qualification I'm a TESOL teacher.
3) Lost my V plates when I was 18 with someone I loved very much, although I don't see how relevant that is.

There was no guile intended behind my original post. I meant "I'm getting old" in the sense of it's getting late to start a professional career in English teaching.

There's nothing esoteric about my thread. I've made a number of trips to Japan, I enjoy the company of the women there, I wish to move there with a hard dick and plenty of cash to drink deep from the horn of plenty and I'm seeking advice how to start up there.

Best wishes,

Joshusan

Reactions: Ojaysee and Frenchy
Learn as much Japanese as you can. The language barrier can be frustrating at times.

1) I'm a very young looking 32 (my Asian students here in Australia thought I was only 22 and it was always hard to command there respect).
2) I don't want to reveal too much about myself because I don't know who is patrolling this forum, but I work in the wine industry, although by qualification I'm a TESOL teacher.
3) Lost my V plates when I was 18 with someone I loved very much, although I don't see how relevant that is. I can't even get a girl to be friends with me in my home country, col

There was no guile intended behind my original post. I meant "I'm getting old" in the sense of it's getting late to start a professional career in English teaching.

There's nothing esoteric about my thread. I've made a number of trips to Japan, I enjoy the company of the women there, I wish to move there with a hard dick and plenty of cash to drink deep from the horn of plenty and I'm seeking advice how to start up there.

Best wishes,

Joshusan

I'm about your age, also often mistaken for being 10 years younger. Just learn Japanese if you haven't already, get a better job than teaching English (unless it's your passion), and you'll have a great time. Also, learn to just accept the things you can't change and do them the Japanese way if necessary.

Last edited:
I'm about your age, also often mistaken for being 10 years younger. Just learn Japanese if you haven't already, get a better job than teaching English (unless it's your passion), and you'll have a great time. Also, learn to just accept the things you can't change and do them the Japanese way if necessary.
Thanks for your reply.

I've been learning Japanese off and on since I was 17. I can use it in most situations, but I don't sound "cool" and I can't chat to chicks casually.

As much as I romanticize living in Japan, I do actually want to be a professional English teacher, though the money isn't great. I'm in the process of building other streams of income to support the lifestyle I want there.

I'm aware of the social issues over there, which often get swept under the mat, making Japan seem like some sort of utopia to the naïve. I don't want to try change Japan, rather I would have their good qualities and habits change me.

Also, learn to just accept the things you can't change and do them the Japanese way if necessary.

Everyone here worked with two or three of those fucking losers. By and large, they are:

1) Usually female,

2) Almost always white, and

3) ALWAYS Americans.

They don't last long, and go home angry and frustrated. Which is good for all of us because they're insufferable, self-righteous twats that can ruin a night at HUB in fifteen seconds flat.

OP, as has been recommended, learn conversational Japanese. And you should seriously reconsider doing the dispatch gig if you still can. Even fifteen years ago, when I was overseeing a number of dispatch slaves, it was a fucking HORRIBLE gig. I can't even imagine how bad it is now, with the gaijin market saturated even with the pandemic going on.

Trust me, your official job title may say "teacher," but that piece of paper is about as close to teaching as you'll get.

Last edited:
Everyone here worked with two or three of those fucking losers. By and large, they are:

1) Usually female,

2) Almost always white, and

3) ALWAYS Americans.

They don't last long, and go home angry and frustrated. Which is good for all of us because they're insufferable, self-righteous twats that can ruin a night at HUB in fifteen seconds flat.

OP, as has been recommended, learn conversational Japanese. And you should seriously reconsider doing the dispatch gig if you still can. Even fifteen years ago, when I was overseeing a number of dispatch slaves, it was a fucking HORRIBLE gig. I can't even imagine how bad it is now, with the gaijin market saturated even with the pandemic going on.

Trust me, your official job title may say "teacher," but that piece of paper is about as close to teaching as you'll get.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty happy with my level of Japanese at the moment. I was going to take the JLPT N3 in December, but then a lot of private issues cropped up and I couldn't get enough study in so I had to withdraw.

You know the more shit I hear people say about the dispatch companies, the more I think "this is the job for me". They go on about how it's basically a marketing pitch for their textbooks and bundles of lessons, and that it's run like a host club. I understand the hours are murderous, but I've heard success stories of guys who have been popular with students, been good at teaching and have been able to make decent money.

Besides, those eikaiwa gigs still count as teaching experience here in Australia, if I should ever come back home and get further teaching qualifications.

I'm calculating a budget lifestyle so that I can experience heaven on earth for at least 2

- Work on your language skills, get to N1 and it will make a huge difference in the hobby world.
- Live on the outskirts of a ward with a big redlight district. You'll be closer to the action.
- If you don't give a fuck, always deli at your place to avoid the hotel fee.
- I would avoid yoshiwara: more expensive than deliheru, more exclusive, less girls working in soaps theses days and, anecdotally, they're usually older than deli girls.
- Do your due diligence on shops. Hotel health shops are gonna be a few thousand yen less than deli because the rental room fee is included. Keep checks on girls' diary posts...they often drop hints. There are also other SNS boards scattered across the internet, but take those with a grain of salt. The goal is to score FS with a deligirl 100% of the time. This will give you a stable rotation so you aren't blowing money away on girls that don't put up.

PM me if you'd like to talk more

You know the more shit I hear people say about the dispatch companies, the more I think "this is the job for me". They go on about how it's basically a marketing pitch for their textbooks and bundles of lessons, and that it's run like a host club. I understand the hours are murderous, but I've heard success stories of guys who have been popular with students, been good at teaching and have been able to make decent money.

OP, I don't know who you've talked, or if perhaps things have changed in the many years since I moved back stateside, but I do have very pertinent experience with what was called "dispatch" in those years and if it's anything like what I personally experienced, you aren't getting very accurate information.

The Dispatch Teacher racket was, simply put, a system that connected lazy government BOE departments with greedy private corporations to provide walking, talking gaijin teaching assistants in public schools. Nothing more, nothing less. In my case, the Osaka Prefectural BOE had two modes for hiring foreigners to work in schools, and primarily their high schools.

One was the "Direct Hire" gig, which was the holy grail for most useless expats slumming it through life. As the name would suggest, the Prefectural BOE would hire foreigners to work as NETs (Native English Teachers) in, generally, the higher-ranking, academically-advanced high schools. You were generally required to have at least a Master's degree and some sort of teaching qualifications/certs from back home. Depending on the school and head teacher you worked under, your duties might range from team-teaching to actually running the entire 40-80 student classroom on your own. You were an actual employee of the prefectural government, at that time were paid about 310,000 JPY/month (which was straight baller, since eikaiwa grunts were getting paid about 250k at the time), were entitled to all the paid holidays that Japanese teachers received and were enrolled in the national healthcare system. In Osaka, the NET department consisted of less than two dozen teachers for the entire prefecture, so as you can imagine, the job was very, very difficult to get, extremely competitive and involved a very lengthy application and interview process. Unless you had some ridiculous degrees, credentials and experience, you needed an inside connection at the BOE, and usually someone very high up.

The other was the Dispatch Teacher gig. Since most large BOEs didn't want to personally deal with the hundreds of gaijin teachers needed to fill all the prefectural classrooms, they would contract with private companies to provide warm bodies. Most of the large eikaiwa outfits at the time (like AEON) developed departments for just this purpose. ECC, for example, developed the "Corporate Sales" division. Basically, the BOE would pay AEON/ECC the full 310,000/month to provide them a warm body five days a week, AEON/ECC would put out ads for "ALT" (Assistant Language Teacher) gigs, and then AEON/ECC would pay those desperate fools about 230,000/month max on a per diem basis, "dispatch" you to a public school (and usually not a very good one) and pocket the rest of the money. You were not enrolled in the NHS. You received zero paid holidays (again, company pocketed that money). If there was no school because of a national holiday, you didn't get paid for that day (so you usually didn't get the full 230k).

Also, since it was basically understood that these ALT "teachers" were going to be practically useless, they were generally used as tape-players with a pulse. Often times, dispatch ALTs would work alongside JET ALTs in some of the prefecture's shittiest schools with the shittiest students, doing the ever-important tasks of singing the alphabet or role playing dialogue from a textbook that even 5yo SPED kids would find retarded. And as if that wasn't demeaning enough, the dispatch ALT would soon enough figure out that the JET ALT, unlike him/her, was an actual government employee and thus entitled to all the pay and benefits that his/her eikaiwa dispatch company was robbing him/her of. So in other words, the 22yo JET jagoff, for whom this was his/her first job right out of unit, was getting paid the full 310k, had real health insurance, got all the paid holidays and probably got a semi-subsidized apartment, too. But because both of these ALTs were almost always utterly useless, in the case of the prefecture's more advanced/prestigious high schools, the head teachers would request the BOE send them an actual NET to teach the actual classes, or at least un-fuck whatever the two ALTs had fucked up, and the dispatch/JET idiots were relegated to the back of the classroom to do coloring books or cut out paper snowflakes or some shit like that.

So again, if you're hoping to do actual teaching, dispatch is not the way to do it. If you're financially set and none of this bothers you and you're just looking for a technicality to pad your resume back home where they won't know what "dispatch ALT" means, then by all means have a great time. Just know what you're getting into.