Illegal to take somebody's photo without their consent in Japan?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I came to Tokyo for the day and while eating at a restaurant, I noticed a flash going off in my direction. I didn't actually see them taking the photo or aiming the smartphone at me but I did see one of the women holding her smartphone while looking at me.

I was a little angry with someone and shouted a little before the flash went off. I don't want to get into why I lost my temper for a moment. I will say that it almost seems as if the woman took my photo in order to put it online to demonize me, which is illegal in Japan right?

It’s GoldenWeek with a lot of people not from Tokyo coming to Tokyo. What was the scenery of the restaurant? Was there a cool design by you? Did she just want a photo of the scenery for her friends?
Was she about to upload it to Tablog, Yelp, or Google Maps to write a review?
These are all also reasons to take a random photo in a restaurant.

Ok, so I came to Tokyo for the day and while eating at a restaurant, I noticed a flash going off in my direction. I didn't actually see them taking the photo or aiming the smartphone at me but I did see one of the women holding her smartphone while looking at me.

I was a little angry with someone and shouted a little before the flash went off. I don't want to get into why I lost my temper for a moment. I will say that it almost seems as if the woman took my photo in order to put it online to demonize me, which is illegal in Japan right?

You're probably exaggerating it a bit. I want to think cute girls are waving at me so I wave back, but their friend was behind me. It definitely makes an awkward feeling, but I doubt they were taking a photo of you.

Jesus Christ. Why would some random woman want to take a picture of you to put it on the internet to demonize you - what ever the fuck that might mean to your tortured mind? Did you forget that this is Japan? People take pictures of everything here! You should have given them the finger or grabbed your balls and said, HOW BOUT WE TAKE A PICTURE WITH MY COCK IN YOUR MOUTH! Thats the TJB we all know and love. Next time do that.

Jesus Christ. Why would some random woman want to take a picture of you to put it on the internet to demonize you - what ever the fuck that might mean to your tortured mind? Did you forget that this is Japan? People take pictures of everything here! You should have given them the finger or grabbed your balls and said, HOW BOUT WE TAKE A PICTURE WITH MY COCK IN YOUR MOUTH! Thats the TJB we all know and love. Next time do that.

Actually, the reason I'm almost sure this woman took a photo of me was because I triggered her.

I'm was in a bad mood because a close family member of mine is really ill and I screamed at these two foreign women staring at me and busting up laughing nonstop. It was incredibly rude that people can just laugh at someone they don't even know for some bs reason.

It was messed up because I wasn't doing but waiting for my food. So one of these triggered foreign women most likely took a photo of me while I had my head turned away.

People are just evil these days.

You are probably on Instagram by now with the hash tags
#DudeThatScreamedAtUs
#JustInCaseWeEndUpDead
#IThoughtTokyoWasSafe
#MightGetShankedUpAtRestaurantAfterWatchingEndGameFML

Nothing to worry about dude you explained it.

You are probably on Instagram by now with the hash tags
#DudeThatScreamedAtUs
#JustInCaseWeEndUpDead
#IThoughtTokyoWasSafe
#MightGetShankedUpAtRestaurantAfterWatchingEndGameFML

Nothing to worry about dude you explained it.

Yes, I explained it. Exactly. There is nothing wrong with telling off people that are rude as fuck and laugh at and talk shit about people they don't even know.

In fact, I believe that people who exhibit this evil behavior are the source of all the problems in the world.

Well, I'm kinda thinking it's a moot point since even if it were illegal there isn't anything to be done about it.

My understanding is that it is okay to snap photos of crowds but not individuals without their consent.

The exception is if you take a picture of a woman and it makes her feel uncomfortable, then you can be arrested under the public nuisance law. Same for taking pics of children if the parents complain. Does not apply to men.

Also worth mentioning that aside from the public nuisance law, there is no criminal offense if you publish someone’s photo without their consent, simply a civil tort.

I guess it is interesting to know what is legal and what is not. But my advice is to not give a shit what the legality of any particular deed might be and do what you think is RIGHT. And if someone does something that you think is WRONG, regardless of the legality, do what you think is RIGHT to get the situation back in balance. More laws are made every fucking day. Yet bad behavior is on the increase. Ever think of that? No I didn’t thinks so. Laws are not the answer. Spike Lee: Do The Right Thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BB0523
I guess it is the interesting to know what is legal and what is not. But my advice is to not give a shit what the legality of any particular deed might be and do what you think is RIGHT. And if someone does something that you think is WRONG, regardless of the legality, do what you think is RIGHT to get the situation back in balance. More laws are made every fucking day. Yet bad behavior is on the increase. Ever think of that? No I didn’t thinks so. Laws are not the answer. Spike Lee: Do The Right Thing.

I agree, actually. I’ve just always been a proponent of knowing the law so that you can know when you have it on your side to back you up, and when it’s in opposition so that you know when not to push your luck.

I agree, actually. I’ve just always been a proponent of knowing the law so that you can know when you have it on your side to back you up, and when it’s in opposition so that you know when not to push your luck.

You have to know the rules well in order to break them properly.

I realize that if someone takes a photo of a man without his consent, that it isn't a criminal offense. If a photo of me does suddenly appear on some website, then I will worry about it.

There's the TBJ we've come to know and love!

Well, you should love me for all the right reasons though.

Nothing wrong with dishing it back out on people that are verbally attacking and laughing at strangers.

People these days are targeting white males for public ridicule and one day this retarded shit will spread to Asia and Japan too.

giphy.gif

Reactions: warubuta
Nothing wrong with dishing it back out on people that are verbally attacking and laughing at strangers.

Or you could... harden up a little?

大変ですね

Well, you should love me for all the right reasons though.

People these days are targeting white males for public ridicule and one day this retarded shit will spread to Asia and Japan too.

giphy.gif
Just look at the people who are targeting you. Most of them will likely be people who think that they deserve something from society or that they are somehow oppressed. Or maybe they think the cards are stacked against them because of their gender, race, whatever. They might be thinking that because you are over 40, white, and financially successful, you are somehow responsible for their misfortune. They think you are part of the problem. There is really not much you can do about it. Give charity or volunteer to help the truly unfortunate. But in Japan, the US and Western Europe, the people who target you because of who you are, should be ignored. If they persist, they need to be told to fuck off. Not much else you can do.

Or you could... harden up a little?

I'm hard enough (and not just in my pants ;)). I just have a really low tolerance towards people like that. Thankfully, I don't live in Tokyo. I don't mind visiting sometimes, but I guess living in big cities isn't for me.

Not that Shizuoka City is really small, but it is still not so overwhelming and crowded like Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, etc.

Just look at the people who are targeting you. Most of them will likely be people who think that they deserve something from society or that they are somehow oppressed. Or maybe they think the cards are stacked against them because of their gender, race, whatever. They might be thinking that because you are over 40, white, and financially successful, you are somehow responsible for their misfortune. They think you are part of the problem. There is really not much you can do about it. Give charity or volunteer to help the truly unfortunate. But in Japan, the US and Western Europe, the people who target you because of who you are, should be ignored. If they persist, they need to be told to fuck off. Not much else you can do.

Although I'm 35, that is close enough to 40 and yes I will be 40 soon enough as time flies. I can say with confidence that we see eye to eye with regard to this subject.

4ffc2161ab726.jpg

Reactions: warubuta
Some things never change.

Don't be ridiculous. There are times in life when you know without a doubt that people are talking shit and laughing at you, and not at anything else. I personally prefer Sudsy's harden up post if I had to choose.

P.S. I don't smoke anything here in Japan as it is illegal.

Just adding my legal knowledge here but in order for the publishing of your photo without consent to be illegal you have to be the main subject of the photo. A picture published of you in a crowd and not centrally focused wouldn’t win you a case. So if someone on the street takes a pic of you walking out of a dirty place and you’re not the main person in focus, well, good luck :LOL: