I'm over it....

The temperature is also humidity driven... 28 with 80% humidity is disgusting... where 28 with 20% humidity is fine.

But, I do agree with your original post and thought... the eco bullshit isn't doing a damn thing... especially when half of Japan spends their lunch hours in their individual cars and diesel trucks idling for hours.

The temperature is also humidity driven... 28 with 80% humidity is disgusting... where 28 with 20% humidity is fine.

Exactly. I can handle 43 degree (110f) heat in Arizona because it's dry. 35 in Tokyo is hell on earth.

Exactly. I can handle 43 degree (110f) heat in Arizona because it's dry. 35 in Tokyo is hell on earth.

I hate when people say this about "dry heat". My oven is a "dry" heat. It's still freaking hot. The only difference is that it doesn't feel like 150 when it's 110. I'm 100% convinced that every speaker in arizona is pumping out the subliminal message, "It's ok. It's a dry heat. Tell your friends!" because it is the only way to get people to mover there from cooler places.

I hate when people say this about "dry heat". My oven is a "dry" heat. It's still freaking hot. The only difference is that it doesn't feel like 150 when it's 110. I'm 100% convinced that every speaker in arizona is pumping out the subliminal message, "It's ok. It's a dry heat. Tell your friends!" because it is the only way to get people to mover there from cooler places.
But it's true...

115F at near 0 humidity is so much more tolerable than 80F at 80%+ humidity. The heat doesn't stick to your skin and boil you alive.

I come from the desert - thought I'd be able to handle Japanese summer. Lmfao nope it has been miserable.

There is a difference - and there's even a scientific explanation. Quite simply, the higher humidity decreases the rate of evaporation of sweat.

There's a good chart here from the American National Weather Service (unfortunately only in Fahrenheit) that shows the effect quite clearly.

Reactions: Thrthrthr
Don't blame us then if the story turns out to be very perverted! It was you who mentioned your clothes are feeling snug these days :eek:
upload_2017-8-16_12-49-46.png

[/QUOTE

Frenchy!~!~!

Reactions: Lukes and Frenchy
Exactly. Well, at least its not so hot anymore.

I slept without AC last night... with the window cracked open to hear the rain falling. Best sleep I've had in months.

But it's true...

115F at near 0 humidity is so much more tolerable than 80F at 80%+ humidity. The heat doesn't stick to your skin and boil you alive.

I come from the desert - thought I'd be able to handle Japanese summer. Lmfao nope it has been miserable.

So is the American heat index bullshit then? Because usually high humidity "only" adds about 5 degrees Celsius.

So is the American heat index bullshit then? Because usually high humidity "only" adds about 5 degrees Celsius.
No, it's accurate - but it isn't so much about raw temperature as it is the heat "sticking" to you.

Sitting in the shade in Japan takes me 20-30 minutes to cool off completely depending just how humid it is. In California it takes 3-5 minutes. Entirely because of how long the sweat takes to evaporate. In dry heat it does very quickly, so as long as you can get out of the sun for a bit you can cool off nicely.

It takes me a good 20 minute walk in the heat to even start sweating in California. A 20 minute walk in Japan and I want to change clothes because it's like I jumped into a pool of my own sweat.

From observations, people in hot dry areas think humid areas are full of wimps who can't handle a bit of heat. 25-30c? That's a lovely summer day! Then you have people from humid areas seeing 40c and go "that'd literally kill me holy shit what sort of idiots would live anywhere that gets that hot?"

Dry, hot places only suck if you can't get out of the sun. If I had to stand in the sun for 8 hours I'd choose the cooler, more humid place for sure. But if you only ever need to be in the sun for 30-60 minutes at a time I think you'd be crazy not to take the dry heat.

Reactions: DocMcStuffins
Honestly, there is maybe something wrong with me but i never sweat a lot and usually dont feel the whole "humid vs dry" thing. The thing what usually bothers me most about august is how the sun in the afternoon is usually so bright that it almost burns holes in your skin. But thats not the case this summer. I usually love the bright sun in Japan because its good for the mood, but summer is usually an overkill.

One of the things i love most about summer is being out in the evening in a light dress and not being cold. Summer nights are not the best to sleep in but they do have this sexy vibe to walk around at night.

Reactions: DocMcStuffins
Honestly, there is maybe something wrong with me but i never sweat a lot and usually dont feel the whole "humid vs dry" thing. The thing what usually bothers me most about august is how the sun in the afternoon is usually so bright that it almost burns holes in your skin. But thats not the case this summer. I usually love the bright sun in Japan because its good for the mood, but summer is usually an overkill.

One of the things i love most about summer is being out in the evening in a light dress and not being cold. Summer nights are not the best to sleep in but they do have this sexy vibe to walk around at night.

Nothing wrong with you ...your just engineered for a colder climate ( I assume) ...so you don't have a well developed sweating mechanism. (???). Which is probably why you don't have an issue with humidity, but don't enjoy the 10-14 day heat wave we usually get in Tokyo when it feels like someone is holding a magnifying glass to your skin.

Summer dresses......just the mention of them causes me to drift away lost in images and music that blur my fantasy and reality. Who doesn't love seeing women in light short summer dress - even if it is some cheap fast fashion from Zara, Forever 21 etc. It is tough for JPN women to build a wardrobe to deal with the diverse weather they have here....I love the variety....but you can't go past the summer dress.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Nothing wrong with you ...your just engineered for a colder climate ( I assume) ...so you don't have a well developed sweating mechanism. (???).

Oh, believe me when I say people from colder climates do know how to sweat! :eek: And I would say especially them; as anything over 0 degrees Celsius is summer already.

Oh, believe me when I say people from colder climates do know how to sweat! :eek: And I would say especially them; as anything over 0 degrees Celsius is summer already.
Not me. Maybe where clothes or hair touches my body, but sweating on my face like the Japanese do is unknown to me. No face towels for me. And also in a sauna, when completely naked i barely sweat.

Reactions: MikeH
I might have to come and observe with my own eyes before I believe that! :D

I am from a cold climate, and I don't sweat much. Send some of your spinners over to my sauna to verify these claims.

It is relative of course, everyone is different and everyone sweats to different degrees. But sweating is the bodies cooling mechanism, and people with well developed sweating mechanisms are good at handling the heat. So, while I may look more comfortable than a JPN OL who has sweat dripping off her face, dabbing her brow with a heavy face towel, and pulling funny faces - she is probably in better shape than me.

Reminds me of a visit to Summer Sonic a few years back, it was f**king hot, I was dry as a bone but dying with the heat, surrounded by JPN people wearing bandanas, neckerchiefs, carrying hand towels and cucumbers on sticks and they were all drenched in sweat. I was probably at great risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke due to my poor sweating mechanism.

Send some of your spinners over to my sauna to verify these claims.

Actually if you have a real sauna in Japan I might be tempted to exchange one spinner for some visiting hours. Good saunas are way more rare than great spinners in here.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland