Guest viewing is limited

In Sexless Japan, Almost Half Of Single Young Men And Women Are Virgins

roots reggae

Officially Unverified
Reaction score
Although I get much of my news about the other sides of Japan from RocketNews24, this time it's from the more traditional The Japan Times.

I'd read reports regarding the topic, but the figures cited in the article have me wondering:

"Are Japanese men and women really losing interest in sex?"

"Has another form of relationship evolved? If so, what is it? I have thoughts, but will wait to hear others' thoughts."

Here are some of the statistics in the article:

A survey of Japanese people aged 18 to 34 found that almost 70 percent of unmarried men and 60 percent of unmarried women are not in a relationship.

Moreover, many of them have never got close and cuddly. Around 42 percent of the men and 44.2 percent of the women admitted they were virgins

The study, conducted in June last year, covered 8,754 single people and 6,598 married couples across the country.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-young-men-women-virgins-survey/#.V93-tPB95uE

Reactions: Wwanderer
The problems I see with believing this are certain parts of the culture that people can't clarify on.
- Cherry boys translates to virgin in English but most of them frequently go to DH, pink salons etc.
There's no way 42% are virgins unless they surveyed 90% 18 -20 years living in the countryside & the rest 10% 20 - 35.
There was also a report that 50% of Japanese men pee sitting down.

The problems I see with believing this are certain parts of the culture that people can't clarify on.
- Cherry boys translates to virgin in English but most of them frequently go to DH, pink salons etc.
There's no way 42% are virgins unless they surveyed 90% 18 -20 years living in the countryside & the rest 10% 20 - 35.
This is true, japanese people definitely have sex, they just pay for it instead of being in a relationship.

I had a japanese boyfriend who peed sitting down. It made the relationship a lot less stressful imo.

Let the truth be known: I'm French and I like to pee sitting down! (and I don't consider that as an awful self-inflicted wound to my virility, to be honest... in fact ladies love it!)

But sorry, this is getting rather off topic! :)

So true. Have many male friends from my university days and back then the so called virgins would love to boast on about all the money they spent on dh or pink salon lol

Last edited:
The Japan Times is not exactly a serious news source, almost every single thing they publish has an obvious political slant or just wants to push the "Japan is in crisis!" agenda.
I think though the number of virgins is on the rise, it might have more to do with less pressure to be married by a certain age. People aren't forcing themselves into relationships, they're doing their own thing. And I do speculate that a lot of these "virgins" have done P4P or even ONS but still consider themselves virgins in the context that the sexual contact didn't happen in a relationship.

The Japan Times is not exactly a serious news source, almost every single thing they publish has an obvious political slant or just wants to push the "Japan is in crisis!" agenda.
I think though the number of virgins is on the rise, it might have more to do with less pressure to be married by a certain age. People aren't forcing themselves into relationships, they're doing their own thing. And I do speculate that a lot of these "virgins" have done P4P or even ONS but still consider themselves virgins in the context that the sexual contact didn't happen in a relationship.

I'll agree that The Japan Times has it's own agenda and does not rank among the world's elite. However, they cited a report by The
National Institute of Population and Social Security Research, which is a serious source.

I subscribe daily to The Japan News, which used to be called The Daily Yomiuri. It has a conservative slant, but makes for interesting reading.

Most of you folks point to the disparity of attitudes toward relationship virginity and the real thing. I'd like to see actual facts and figures there.

Last edited:
Reactions: patty diaz
I think why they still refer to themselves as virgins even if engaging in p4p is that a lot of Japanese people don't consider non penetrative sex as sex... So they still consider themselves as a virgin. I notice with some girls that work in the industry also consider themselves still virgins as they don't do penetrative sex(this is in amongst people I know)

It has a conservative slant, but makes for interesting reading.

The yomiuri is the inofficial LDP mouthpiece. I agree that some of the JTs reports are not entirely neutral, but the JN's agenda is second only to the communist Akahata.

I read it somewhere that 70% of single men in Japan doesnt have a girlfriend.
Kind of understand that because I worked in Japan for a while.
On the opposide, my friends (married n successful) could have as many girlfriends as they like.

So after engaging in P4P like visiting the soapland, and I'm still a virgin? Wow, I have to get myself a gf asap.

even though, the fact that half of the singles in their best age have never had a full relation with the opposite sex is pretty sad.
This is true, japanese people definitely have sex, they just pay for it instead of being in a relationship.

I had a japanese boyfriend who peed sitting down. It made the relationship a lot less stressful imo.
I did that once after sex in a girl's apartment to avoid any risk of peeing aside :D

the fact that half of the singles in their best age have never had a full relation with the opposite sex is pretty sad.

Exactly! Even with the slippery definition of sex and virginity and the fact that people tend to lie (one way or the other) about their sexual experiences, the absence of experience with a "normal" np4p relationship is pretty shocking and (imo) scary.

Worse still:

A survey of Japanese people aged 18 to 34 found that almost 70 percent of unmarried men and 60 percent of unmarried women are not in a relationship.

Again regardless of slippery definitions, the idea that about two thirds of eligible young singles are not in a relationship at the present (even if they have been in the past) seems astonishing and alarming. The fact that it is common for Japanese people to call someone they see as rarely as once a month or less a BF/GF makes it worse still. In other words, some of the minority who consider themselves to be in a relationship might not be considered so by typical world standards.

It would be interesting to know how this and some of the other stats mentioned correlate with other demographic factors. Are higher or lower socio-economic groups more active with the opposite sex? Those living in urban vs rural areas? Educational level? Etc. And 18-34 is a broad age range; one wonders how much the stats vary across it.

-Ww

:grumpy:it makes me think... Why politicians and the BoJ don't understand that if they want to save this country it won't be with negative interest rates or buying all the government bonds available or any kind of financial black magic. They just need to incentivize people to make kids!!! That doesn't mean necessarily through marriages by the way, since nowadays nearly half of them end up in divorce or sexless, bickering married life. There must be some kind of way to define new "parental contracts" with less strings attached, or giving much better support (and less stigma) to single mothers etc... Otherwise this country is demographically doomed. And all the money I pay for my future pension is a waste !

:grumpy:it makes me think... Why politicians and the BoJ don't understand that if they want to save this country it won't be with negative interest rates or buying all the government bonds available or any kind of financial black magic. They just need to incentivize people to make kids!!! That doesn't mean necessarily through marriages by the way, since nowadays nearly half of them end up in divorce or sexless, bickering married life. There must be some kind of way to define new "parental contracts" with less strings attached, or giving much better support (and less stigma) to single mothers etc... Otherwise this country is demographically doomed. And all the money I pay for my future pension is a waste !

Japan's crude birth rate is not that different from some European countries and some others Asian countries. Japanese is demographically doomed because it's so strict on immigrants (which leaves so many shops Japanese-only :( ).
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...in-the-world-according-to-study-10286525.html

Japan's crude birth rate is not that different from some European countries and some others Asian countries. Japanese is demographically doomed because it's so strict on immigrants (which leaves so many shops Japanese-only :( ).
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...in-the-world-according-to-study-10286525.html

Of course one possibility is that Japan is eventually forced to embrace massive immigration...which might save the country economically while putting an end to its cultural identity. Another is that the robot work force dream becomes a reality in Japan.

However, there is more at stake here than just birth rates and economics. How healthy, happy and sane can a people/culture be with so many of its members missing out on romantic relationships?

-Ww

Very good point. Japan really should accept single mothers!

Yes. Unless they "import" asian ladies with the sole purpose of making Japanese-looking babies (educated the Japanese way) with all those unmarried guys saying they are virgins. Cause obviously they would not like too many foreign-looking "Halfs". Hey, i dont put a zero probability on this ever happening...

Of course one possibility is that Japan is eventually forced to embrace massive immigration...which might save the country economically while putting an end to its cultural identity. Another is that the robot work force dream becomes a reality in Japan.

However, there is more at stake here than just birth rates and economics. How healthy, happy and sane can a people/culture be with so many people missing out on romantic relationships?

-Ww
Well many cultures in the past prospered without much in terms of "romantic relationships". Its a relatively new concept in the history of mankind. Before it mostly existed in mythology and fairy tales

Reactions: Ken1988
Well many cultures in the past prospered without much in terms of "romantic relationships". Its a relatively new concept in the history of mankind. Before it mostly existed in mythology and fairy tales

I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure. As an important cultural concept and ideal it goes back pretty much to the earliest recorded literatures around the world, and in many cultures, "arranged marriages" (which don't necessarily mean non-romantic, btw) were mainly for the rich and aristocratic levels of society.

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Yes. Unless they "import" asian ladies with the sole purpose of making Japanese-looking babies (educated the Japanese way) with all those unmarried guys saying they are virgins. Cause obviously they would not like too many foreign-looking "Halfs". Hey, i dont put a zero probability on this ever happening...

Yeah you are right. In a more standardized indicator of total fertility rate, East Asian countries' scores are all low.

Reactions: Wwanderer