International Banking

jayjaytokyo

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My first post on here, so forgive me if it's the incorrect forum.

I'm starting work in Tokyo next week, but i'd like to transfer some money back to my UK account for bills I still have over there (phone etc).

Do any of you know a way to send it over? Are there any apps, or is something like Western Union the best answer?

Cheers for any feedback

I've been sending money to the UK every month for the last couple years with Transferwise and never had any issues. Money arrives same day about 50% of the time and next day 50% of the time... so it's super fast...

Plus you'll get slaughtered on exchange rates using any conventional banking. Especially in Japan ... places like Rakuten advertise super cheap fees for international transfers, but then they exchange way below market rates. (around 3%+ when I was doing it before Transferwise was in Japan)

Im not familiar with how UK works but cant you just use banking apps to pay bills? I can pay everything from apps, it doesnt matter where in the world i am and it cost me nothing extra. The app you are looking for is the official app for the Bank that your money you wanna pay bills with is located in.
I also have apps that send me invoices digitally but those is specific for my home country.
Western Union is not very smooth for what you wanna do, i think its pretty many days for transfer etc. Western union from my knowledge is only good if you have cash in hand and wanna send it to relatives in another country, preferably a poor country too.

.... Another way i came up with is get the UK app for you bank in UK. Transfer money straight from Japanese Account > Uk Account via japanese bank. And then just use UK app from japan to pay UK bills. I dont know about Japanese bank account transfer rate if there is any tho, i never had a Japanese bank account. On the UK end it shouldnt cost you a dime at least, and if it does change bank because they are not good.

Last edited: