Guest viewing is limited

Interview

User#36191

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have been working for a "black company" (ブラック企業) for 2 years. I have always been trying to find out some other alternatives, but due to the salary being very low (for other jobs), I haven't changed until now.

Right now, due to life circumstances and other personal purposes, I am trying to find new jobs in Japan.

What should I expect when it comes to the interview? I was called to an interview which I don't know if I will be evaluated in Japanese and/or English. I assume I will need to prepare myself for both languages as in practice, I will need to use, at least, those languages, besides one or more languages.

How is the interview within both nikkei (日系企業)and non-nikkei(外資系企業) companies in Japan? Are they very similar to Western countries, more specifically, to Canada and European countries?

PS: The position is not for IT related field like many foreigners have been working at here in Japan.

No. 1: This is very hypocritical of companies, but they do not trust job hoppers. Be prepared to answer tough questions on why you want to change jobs and why you're giving up after just 2 years at your current job. It's not fair, but most companies will not hire you just for this very fact.

Plus, your agent will tell you never to say the reasons are for "harassment" or "not being able to handle to abuse and stress."

I worked for a major company in Japan for 4 years but quit because of how horrible it was. Every interview I had after that focused on why I left there and many interviewers called me crazy for leaving such a famous company.

Other than that, the questions are standard. Why do you want to join us? What do you think you can offer? They will then evaluate if you fit who they want for the position and if your skill set/personality meets their company model.

Foreigners in Japan with no major marketable skills have the hardest time finding jobs, but good luck.

I have been working for a "black company" (ブラック企業) for 2 years. I have always been trying to find out some other alternatives, but due to the salary being very low (for other jobs), I haven't changed until now.

Right now, due to life circumstances and other personal purposes, I am trying to find new jobs in Japan.

Congratulations on sticking out the two years and on making the decision to move. Most companies will view two years as a respectable amount of time to decide if you are a good fit at a place, and an indication that you tried to make it work. Repeated two year stints are a red flag though - choose your next company carefully, you'll be aiming to stay there at least five years.

What should I expect when it comes to the interview?

How long is a piece of string? Every company is different, and even within the same company they may have different interview protocols for foreign and Japanese staff. Prepare for both Japanese formal and Western casual, and you may even find that you go through both during the interview process.

I was called to an interview which I don't know if I will be evaluated in Japanese and/or English. I assume I will need to prepare myself for both languages as in practice, I will need to use, at least, those languages, besides one or more languages.

Typically, if Japanese will be used on the job, Japanese will be used in the interview, entirely or in part. Always good to be prepared to work with either language.

How is the interview within both nikkei (日系企業)and non-nikkei(外資系企業) companies in Japan? Are they very similar to Western countries, more specifically, to Canada and European countries?

It really does vary, but nikkei companies tend to be more formal and have certain expectations, such as the interviewee knocking on the meeting room door and waiting to be told to enter, bowing before sitting, bowing again after standing - general business etiquette. Gaishikei companies will generally be less formal and lines of questioning will be more in line with Western practices. That said, I know interviewers for gaishikei that are very Japanese style, and I know HR people for nikkei companies that pride themselves on being progressive and Western. Every company is different.

One piece of advice that I can give you that is universal - do NOT say anything negative about your (soon to be) former employer. The common assumption by interviewers is that if you're talking shit about your old employer, you'll talk shit about the new one.

In truth, I decided to leave my last company after some vicious infighting in upper management nearly destroyed the organisation, but in interviews, when asked why I left, I simply answered that I was looking for more room to grow professionally. Another artful dodge that a lot of people use if the timing is right is to say that their contract expiration is coming up.

An exception is if you're part of a well-known and public corporate implosion - for example if you were working at Lehman at a certain point in time, then you could honestly refer to the publicly know facts.

But barring that, it's always best to answer with forward looking statements - you want to grow, to learn, to take on more responsibility, etc.

The impression from my experience, honestly a bit dated, is that a Japanese interview tends to ask you to express yourself while a "Western" interview tends to ask you to impress the interviewers so that the "inter-view" develops into a certain depth - I think this is an important aspect in so-called "behavioral interviews".

Repeated two year stints are a red flag though - choose your next company carefully, you'll be aiming to stay there at least five years.

If you are showing clear progression in terms or role, responsibilty etc, its fine.

Most job hoppers dont show this, but some do.

I recently started looking for alternative employment as well, but I do not speak Japanese - all my work is done in English even though I'm based in Tokyo... I'm finding that positions that represent my current position require Japanese written and verbal skills... seems like I'll have to move from Tokyo to find a replacement job :(, which is a real pity... I enjoy living in Tokyo..... Even recruitment companies say I am too "niche" and they can't help me...
So I have been working my contact network to see if there are opportunities out there....

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
If you are showing clear progression in terms or role, responsibilty etc, its fine.

Most job hoppers dont show this, but some do.

This is true.

Both sentences. :)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I actually praise you, stick to that job, worked there for 2 years, still carry on at a foreign country, could be quite difficult!

Maybe you need to shift your "mindset", to make money is not "you got to work really hard and still make money you expected less".

"You deserve money, in exchange with how much energy, skills, passion you devote to deliver the work". Something you could imagine, having a great passion. Imagine days with better situation day by day... please imagine you already have it, before sleep!

By decent skills with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, with
common sense attitude, great communication skills, you could find something here in Japan. But the older, the harder.

Interviews are already mentioned by some people, so I wouldn't cover here.

I just wanted to give you cheer.

Good luck!