Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
So I vaguely remember experiencing what might possibly be hay fever/allergies in the autumn.

My hay fever is much more terrible in the spring and the symptoms are much different.

At the end of September, I started noticing a sensation in the left side of my throat like a tightness and irritation that goes up into ear canal (more intense than my off and on acid reflux irritation).

I want to clarify that I'm not suffering from the common scratchy throat symptoms that I suffer from in the spring time, but it is more of a sore inflammation.

My inner ear canal on the left side feels really tight and heavy like it is irritated or blocked.

I have been to ENT's on more than one occasion and I don't have any tumors, cysts or other blockages nor do I have any serious inner ear issues.

Today was a really clear, sunny day so I kept my windows open all day and just a couple hours ago, I started noticing these symptoms.

Of course, I closed my windows and I'm just running the AC, which I wish I didn't have to do as it costs me more money.

I'm just curious if anyone else on here suffers from hay fever/allergies in the autumn and if anyone experiences symptoms effecting their ears, nose and throat as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonka
You're probably allergic to ragweed (butakusa). Ragweed pollen peaks in autumn.

Yep, butakusa. Not a lick of allergies in the spring when everyone is suffering from cedar pollen but miserable every year oct/nov.

Yes, I have assumed it was from butakusa as well but I don't know for sure.

I don't plan to take an allergy test as the symptoms aren't too terrible, but more of an annoyance.

Is anyone else on here allergic to butakusa and suffer the same exact symptoms?

Time to start wearing masks every time I go out.

You’re not alone. For the past two weeks what I’ve mistaken as a simple cold has been diagnosed as allergy by my ENT doctor and allergy pills are making me feel very sleepy, it feels like I’m walking in the air. Normally I have lots of energy but I oftentimes finding myself curling up in the bed for a short nap.
My symptoms are also different from what I had experienced as the common spring allergy symptoms. In my case my nasal cavity was completely blocked and I felt like suffocating when I was eating. I was also suffering from terrible headaches.

I actually had to cancel some appointments this week because of this. (I’m very sorry :( )

Blood test for allergy has 50% accuracy, this is what my doctor has told me.

Last edited:
You’re not alone. For the past two weeks what I’ve mistaken as a simple cold has been diagnosed as allergy by my ENT doctor and allergy pills are making me feel very sleepy, it feels like I’m walking in the air. Normally I have lots of energy but I oftentimes finding myself curling up in the bed for a short nap.
My symptoms are also different from what I had experienced as the common spring allergy symptoms. In my case my nasal cavity was completely blocked and I felt like suffocating when I was eating. I was also suffering from terrible headaches.

I actually had to cancel some appointments this week because of this. (I’m very sorry :( )

Blood test for allergy has 50% accuracy, this is what my doctor has told me.

Ok, so I also noticed that my sinus cavities behind my cheeks feel pressure and so does the back of my head?

At first I thought I just had a headache from using my PC too long but I almost never get headaches from eyestrain...so maybe another symptom of my allergies.

Do you get pain/pressure in the back of your head as well as in your sinus cavities?

Reactions: Simonka
Ok, so I also noticed that my sinus cavities behind my cheeks feel pressure and so does the back of my head?

At first I thought I just had a headache from using my PC too long but I almost never get headaches from eyestrain...so maybe another symptom of my allergies.

Do you get pain/pressure in the back of your head as well as in your sinus cavities?
Yes. Two-three weeks ago they were very sensitive to touch. I felt the pressure 24/7. We suspected a cold, a sinus infection and finally I was diagnosed with the allergy. Like sinus infection, it gets worse when I bend over and nighttime is harder than daytime. It’s the first time I have this autumn allergy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Yes. Two-three weeks ago they were very sensitive to touch. I felt the pressure 24/7. We suspected a cold, a sinus infection and finally I was diagnosed with the allergy. Like sinus infection, it gets worse when I bend over and nighttime is harder than daytime. It’s the first time I have this autumn allergy.

Ok, I also notice it more when I bend my neck/head forward or down and it bothers me a lot more at night.

I also noticed that I have a stiff neck but that could be unrelated and just be from my posture.

Have you been experiencing a stiff neck along with everything else?

P.S. My symptoms all suddenly started about 2 weeks ago and have become more noticeable this week.

Stiff neck makes sense. Sinuses are not happy, makes your head not happy. Invites your neck to the grumpy party. Get some allergy drugs.

Ok, I also notice it more when I bend my neck/head forward or down and it bothers me a lot more at night.

I also noticed that I have a stiff neck but that could be unrelated and just be from my posture.

Have you been experiencing a stiff neck along with everything else?

P.S. My symptoms all suddenly started about 2 weeks ago and have become more noticeable this week.
I don’t have a stiff neck at the moment and do not recall ever having one whilst having this allergy. I highly suggest you to start your treatment immediately; your ENT doctor can prescribe the allergy meds. Having completely clogged nasal passages was the worst for me. I also had the common asthma symptoms: I simply couldn’t breathe & this gave me more headache.

I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
So, I'm still experiencing a scratchy throat every time I go out without a mask so I started wearing them all the time. Does butakusa ragweed season in Japan keep going through November as well?

Because when I check online, it says that it starts in mid-August and ends in October...so I'm guessing it sometimes continues into November, but will it finally stop in December?

Anyone else still experience hayfever/allergy symptoms?

This is a crazy weather year. WHY is it summer warm in November?
So the answer is: who knows?

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow