Guest viewing is limited

Is it me or Bumble?

JamesStPatrick

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello

Long time guest lurker, first time poster,

I just want to share my experience with bumble in Japan, some theories and hopefully i can pick your brain on the topic in general

Basically, is Bumble a scummy dating app(like moreso than tinder/hinge) in Japan? or isit just me and the nature of dating in Japan.

(Btw I'm 27, M, and hopefully i don't appear vain or full of myself, that is not my intention, I'm genuinely curious)

This all started when i joined Bumble in Tokyo(I'm mentioning the city for population sake) a couple weeks back, i joined around 1PM and started swiping, and i noticed in roughly a hour i got 6-7 likes( the initial profile boost is at work) but then after that, crickets, i only got 1 more like and 1 match in the 2 weeks of swiping everyday and running out of likes(somewhat selectivity and not just looking everyone), which i thought was very strange (when i use bumble back in the UK, i get 10-12 likes per day, and when i went to Seoul for a short trip, i got around 50 likes in 2 days, which lead to a 2 spontaneous dates, but obviously I know Korean women and Japanese women are different so i shouldn't really compare), and so i deleted the account, waited a week, and created a new account this time creating it at like 3am and by 11am i had 8 likes, but then again nothing after that, so strange, it was almost like Bumble in Japan shows you to enough women to get over 6-12 likes, but then just throws you to the very end of the swiping stack and you barely get likes again unless you start giving them money to boost your profile again or you like a woman that has premium so they can insta swipe on you.

I know dating apps aren't your friend and don't actually want you to find a partner so you keep on giving them money, but it seems way too calculated and intentional, severely restricting your chances, like i said above, in other countries, i do reasonably well, and i don't think I'm shadow banned or anything because i still get likes/matches, and have the option to buy premium without any errors showing up(a telltale sign), so my question/dilemma is what is up with bumble in Japan? are there completely different rules for this country and therefore the app (especially as you have to do age verification to talk to people), and so i was thinking deeply, and came up with a bunch of theories/factors at play that may be the reason Bumble is weird

• Woman have a crazy amount of likes/options(in the thousands), especially with the tourist boom and paired with the fact there are 5 different and popular apps they could be on (tinder, bumble, pairs, tapple, omai) and therefore they're already talking to alot of people and so when they swipe 'yes' on profile majority of the time it is a match, and not liking a person that hasn't like them (what would appear to us as a new like) that results in me not getting much likes
  • Maybe I'm just not Japanese women's type? Or alot of Japanese women are busy or maybe because on my profile there's no Japanese language (but there's filters on bumble to only find people based on languages they know) or because on my profile it says I'm looking for something 'casual with no commitments', they don't swipe on my profile
  • But i disagree with both points^ because i was able to get the 6-8 likes in a very short time period and then it suddenly halted to a near complete stop, (maybe by Bumble's design as you hit a threshold), if the likes were spread out equally throughout the day/week it would make sense, but likes don't fall of that much, even getting 1-2 likes a day is reasonable, but barely 1 a week is wild when you compare it to a strong start, i even asked a friend (who i can admit is decently more attractive than me, like 7vs8.5) to test bumble for half a day when i was chilling with him and he got 12 likes In about 2 hours (he even got a superswipe), then it halted, a similar experience as me

And so it made me think of more technical theories or just nonsense theories that may make sense

• Does bumble dislike when you swipe everyday(like the more you don't use/check the app, the more they'll boost your profile and send notifications for you to check it) and therefore you're put further down the swiping stack?(hmmmm, i doubt it because in other countries it has worked in my favour)
  • Does bumble have a secret elo system where you need to hit (for example) 30 likes in a hour/swipes and you'll continue getting boosted by bumble? (it is possible or it's just in all my head and it's just the person who is the most attractive/interesting will get the most likes)
  • Is Bumble just not as popular anymore(Japanese people would rather meet new people outside or through friends or when doing hobbies or Japanese apps) and/or there's alot of inactive profiles, and therefore alot of your swipes are wasted? (It's definitely possible but I'm pretty sure bumble hides inactive profiles after a while)
  • Does bumble like accounts that have been alive for x amount of time (eg a month of being decently active) and you move up the stack more because it? (hmmmm it's possible, maybe they penalize people who delete and recreate their account, but i also doubt it because my friend doesn't use bumble)
  • Bumble just wants your money and has do scummy tactics so you feel the need pay you get any attention(very very likely)

And so TLDR, my question to the people that use bumble in Japan is, how many likes/matches do you get in a week/day? (just incase there something wrong with my profile or shadow banned in a weird way or I'm overthinking this)

Thanks and looking forward to this discussion :)

P.s. i know people will say, start going out, eg go pub/hub or clubs or find meetup events based on things that interest you and see who is there, or even doing nampa, but if I'm being honest, i just like the art of talking to someone online, and getting to know them through a fun conversation then meeting up, online dating is good avenue for me

All dating apps - actually all apps - are trying to scam you out of money, one way or another. I would not focus on any of them as your main avenue for meeting people. Like, sure, swipe left or right or whatever while you're on the loo, or between sets at the gym, if that is more fun than eg. swiping up or down on pikmin bloom or whatever other app you use to pass the time. And if you do happen to make a connection with someone then enjoy it - I mean; it happens! I found someone on Tinder who is happy for me to harass them on line every day. But I would have very low expectations for meeting anyone who isn't a chinese bot or whatever, on any dating app.

All dating apps - actually all apps - are trying to scam you out of money, one way or another. I would not focus on any of them as your main avenue for meeting people. Like, sure, swipe left or right or whatever while you're on the loo, or between sets at the gym, if that is more fun than eg. swiping up or down on pikmin bloom or whatever other app you use to pass the time. And if you do happen to make a connection with someone then enjoy it - I mean; it happens! I found someone on Tinder who is happy for me to harass them on line every day. But I would have very low expectations for meeting anyone who isn't a chinese bot or whatever, on any dating app.
I appreciate the quick response :)

Yeah maybe I'm just putting too much focus on Bumble in general, maybe because it's one of the only apps where you can actually filter based on languages they know, and it's more Western

But yeah i should just see it as a supplement to my dating life and not the only avenue.

I need to continue to break out of my introverted shell, but it takes time and experiences

It's definitely possible to meet real people on Bumble, and other apps. My girlfriend uses it to make platonic friends and ever since I've been harassing her to see other guys I think she has had maybe 5 or 6 hookups with guys from Bumble. But you definitely need to understand that the people making this app do not have your best interests at heart, so it is not worth investing too much time or effort. So yeah, treating it as a supplement is, I think, the perfect solution.

Reactions: JamesStPatrick
What Tabanico said. Also, if you want to meet Japanese women, Bumble is not really the app anyway. There aren't enough people on Bumble here.
Yeah it does seem like that, the ratio of guys to girls is probably 10:1 or even higher, and so unless you boost your profile all the time it's hard to get likes

I met a bunch of ladies on Bumble, but it was a lot of work. A lot of messaging back and forth. I think it is fun and can be a good source for dates if you take your time, and don't expect too much. Use it as another way of meeting people. But you should still get out there and try to meet people in person. Meet Ups I think are good for that.
And then of course people at work or anywhere really.

I've only used bumble a little bit. My impression is that Bumble has mostly people with english profiles, so maybe bumble is not so commonly used in Japan - only those interested in meeting a foreigner, but not used otherwise in general.

I set location to Seoul where I am headed soon and got many matches compared to Japan with the same profile. Honestly though the messaging is such a burden I never pursued anything. To be honest my intention with it in Seoul is just meeting some people to get a meal with because they have so many foods in Korea where you need 2+ people to order it.

I've only used bumble a little bit. My impression is that Bumble has mostly people with english profiles, so maybe bumble is not so commonly used in Japan - only those interested in meeting a foreigner, but not used otherwise in general.

I set location to Seoul where I am headed soon and got many matches compared to Japan with the same profile. Honestly though the messaging is such a burden I never pursued anything. To be honest my intention with it in Seoul is just meeting some people to get a meal with because they have so many foods in Korea where you need 2+ people to order it.
Ooo i see, so there's only a small group of Japanese people that are on Bumble to begin with(it's probably on the decline with the rise of Japanese dating apps), that's interesting

And yeah i agree it can be annoying at times, having the same initial conversations or trying to ask questions about them and receiving short answers or it being one sided

I met a bunch of ladies on Bumble, but it was a lot of work. A lot of messaging back and forth. I think it is fun and can be a good source for dates if you take your time, and don't expect too much. Use it as another way of meeting people. But you should still get out there and try to meet people in person. Meet Ups I think are good for that.
And then of course people at work or anywhere really.
What are 'meetups' events like, on the app i see alot of international/language exchange parties? Or should i stick to ones that align with my interests/hobbies

Bumble works on algorithms to farm engagement and get you to pay for extras. The reason you got a bunch of likes early is that the app is forcing your profile higher on the priority list to be shown to to women. The more girls that see you, the higher chance you get a like. After that initial rush then you get put into the general pool of men and your likes will go down a lot. Then they start offering premium or whatever bullshit to increase your likes again. If you buy it, they will again push your profile for a few days and you will get tons and tons of likes. But after it will be in the general pool again and they will try to sell you spotlight time or whatever bullshit they can upcharge.

So it's a scam, but only on the app operating side. When you get likes they are actual people.

I used bumble for a month or so to pick up girls to bring to happening bars. I know it sounds crazy but I was fairly successful. The reason I gave it up was too many girls didn't actually read my profile to see what I was looking for and we're trying to see me alone. Which is shady AF and not the kind of shit I wanted my partner seeing on my phone. I know this is kind of a humble brag, but I say it only to demonstrate that you can get girls on bumble, though usually they tend more for serious relationships rather than hookups. Learning how to game the algorithm cheaply and how to make an interesting profile are really important if you want to use any of these apps.

Similar experience OP, and I tend to think similarly as the other respondents.

I had often used Tinder/Bumble before sporadically, always for free, and had decent success by putting in a bit of effort. Lately got bored during trips sometimes and re-installed both apps alternatively, but NOTHING at all… I even paid once for the basic Tinder cause I wanted some functions (filter by ‘what you’re looking for’ and travel function to swipe ahead of my trip for instance), but that didnt do much.

I have come to be convinced - it’s a capitalistic world in the end 🤷🏻‍♂️ - that if you want results, you need to pay the higher price, which all things considered is not scandalously expensive, and should give you an edge.

Then again, I havent resorted to that yet as I don’t use these apps more than for a couple days at a time, so I’m fine just swiping and hoping for lighting to strike ahah I also still have this mental bias that paying for chatting online is against some sort of “principles” (while paying for services in general is completely fine, don’t ask me to defend my logic 😂), so I’m on a quest to understand what platform can make me find this elusive sexy and crazy Japanese college student or milf (pcmaxx was a PAIN too lol)

Lots of matches up front and then hardly any afterwards is completely normal and is an intended part of the algorithm. In the past it used to be optimal to recreate your account every couple days/weeks to take advantage of the sign-on boost, but I'm not sure if that still works, Bumble may have caught on to it.

All dating apps are becoming more and more monetized all the time. Bumble in particular heavily limits how many swipes you can make for free per day now compared to how it used to be.

Aside from that, dating apps are 80% pictures. If you're not having the results you want then change your pictures and consider hiring a professional.

Bumble is booming in Japan contrary to what some people in this thread are saying, but you are indeed mostly going to find English-speaking/westernized girls. If that's fine with you then great, but if you want more "Japanese" type girls then try Paris or With (note these apps are only available in Japanese).

I appreciate everyone's input! It has been very insightful

It does seem like they curate your experience on the app to make you feel like you need to pay for a chance of getting likes/matches, and like @SoFreshSoClean said, we live in a capitalist society, you gotta pay to get that edge, the pricing isn't too bad but it's annoying paying for something could result in nothing(but tbh that says alot more about your profile/pics than anything)

though usually they tend more for serious relationships rather than hookups
Yeah it does seem like that is the case, and you gotta pay for premium to filter out those profiles lmao, but strangely enough, I've matched with women where on their profile it says 'long-term relationship' or 'life partner' and I've told them I'm not looking for anything serious, and they still want to meetup and with some further conversation they reveal they would be down for something casual aslong as 'we see eachother exclusively' or 'we actually be friends' so it's sometimes i just ignore the 'what you're looking for' thing on profiles unless they've repeated it a couple times on the profile, ultimately it just depends on the vibe and the person

but if you want more "Japanese" type girls then try Paris or With (note these apps are only available in Japanese).
I need to try those, and Google translate the whole setup process, then just get used to the app and write my profile in English and see what happens, it's annoying because you need to switch your app store location to Japan or exclusively use another phone with a Japanese account, but I'll have alittle look

I need to try those, and Google translate the whole setup process, then just get used to the app and write my profile in English and see what happens, it's annoying because you need to switch your app store location to Japan or exclusively use another phone with a Japanese account, but I'll have alittle look
Not sure what phone you have, but with iPhones you can just make a separate Apple ID on the Japanese app store and switch back and forth between them whenever you need to download apps. Once you download the app you can use it regardless of which ID you have logged in.

Regarding what they write on their profiles, you can pretty much just disregard that completely. Much of the time they're writing those things to avoid looking a certain way in case someone they know finds them on the app (this is a huge social fear for Japanese women in my experience). A good rule of thumb is to judge women based on what they DO not what they say.

Not sure what phone you have, but with iPhones you can just make a separate Apple ID on the Japanese app store and switch back and forth between them whenever you need to download apps. Once you download the app you can use it regardless of which ID you have logged in.
Same for Android just FYI for that guy. Make a JP google account, in play store your google profile picture is in the top right, click the drop down to change profile to your other account.

Last time I was in Tokyo, I installed Bumble. Paid for premium. Had never used a dating app before in my life, as I came out of a long-term relationship. First day I had 40 matches. Ended up with about 70 in total without doing any swiping myself. My buddy I was there with had zero. So yes, experiences do vary.

Last time I was in Tokyo, I installed Bumble. Paid for premium. Had never used a dating app before in my life, as I came out of a long-term relationship. First day I had 40 matches. Ended up with about 70 in total without doing any swiping myself. My buddy I was there with had zero. So yes, experiences do vary.
Damn, that is such a big contrast, I'm going to do a test at the end of the month, I'll try 5 boosts and 1 week of premium (separately) and see what happens in terms of likes/matches

Damn, that is such a big contrast, I'm going to do a test at the end of the month, I'll try 5 boosts and 1 week of premium (separately) and see what happens in terms of likes/matches
My buddy also had premium so it's not a magical fix-it-all, but it definitely helps. And once you get recognized by the algorithm as getting a fair amount of matches, you'll be even more visible and they'll come pouring in. Pictures and profile text matter. I've had girls match me purely because of one or two sentences in my profile. Stuff like "If you're with me, I'll take care of you" seems to do extremely well over there, so long as it's believable. Dress well in your pictures, look groomed, highlight your (well-paying) job. On the flipside, many ended up disappointed at learning I was only there for a few weeks and then they vanished.

Once you do get matches, they don't like to talk forever. Set up a date/time/place after a few exchanges saying you'd love to get to know her better in person.

My wife made a Tinder account just for us to have fun and see what's up. She put her pictures in there and in minutes she got hundreds of likes and messages. I also tried the same thing and made an account with my pic but I only got 10 likes in one day 😭. I guess the ratio of men to women in the app just favors the former. There are more men than women I think 🤔. Also, I think my wife got these likes and messages since she stated that she is a Japanese woman that is fluent in English? 🤔🤔🤔

My wife made a Tinder account just for us to have fun and see what's up. She put her pictures in there and in minutes she got hundreds of likes and messages. I also tried the same thing and made an account with my pic but I only got 10 likes in one day 😭. I guess the ratio of men to women in the app just favors the former. There are more men than women I think 🤔. Also, I think my wife got these likes and messages since she stated that she is a Japanese woman that is fluent in English? 🤔🤔🤔
Yeah the ratio could play a big factor, especially with the travel boom, a woman can have so many options to choose from that they're extra picky when swiping or just rarely swipe in general as they have so many conversations to go through

Reactions: Osaka Boy 97
Yeah the ratio could play a big factor, especially with the travel boom, a woman can have so many options to choose from that they're extra picky when swiping or just rarely swipe in general as they have so many conversations to go through
Realize that Tinder, like any other mobile apps, are designed to bleed you dry of your hard earned money and this is especially true if you are a man. I have a feeling that women do not even pay for Tinder, only men. If you do decide to use the app, try your best to avoid paying for gold or platinum memberships. As for me, I try to avoid dating apps, or even bars when it comes to meeting women. I actually met my wife at an expo 😂. My girlfriend in Japan before I met her at a cafe ☕️

Japan Cupid and bumble have been most effective meetup services in Japan for me. Both still have issues with fakes, scams and bots.

Perhaps giving the female the power to engage with who she chooses means that connections on bumble are more likely to get off on the right foot?

Last edited: