Guest viewing is limited

Is this considered to be cultural appropriation?

Rebeccalee

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have a very pressing question.

If I go to Japan, and do the incredibly touristy thing where I dress up as a geisha/maiko and take photos of myself all decked out with hair and makeup - is this considered cultural appropriation?

I am obviously NOT Japanese, this isn't my culture. But I *reeeeaaalllllyyyy* want to do this. Before I do, I would like to know if by doing so it would be considered to be appropriating culture.

Please help!! I tried searching for several articles about "cultural appropriation vs cultural appreciation" but couldn't find anything Japan-focused. Mostly about black POC issues like hair(dreadlocks)

Last edited:
I absolutely despise this term. I understand why it started. White people claiming to have created things that were created by other ethnicities, but it's been distorted to beyond stupidity...

It has become so loosely used that now that people are afraid of wearing hair styles or clothing. It's like saying a Japanese person can't own a pizza parlor because he's not Italian. The Japanese offer services for tourists to dress like geisha/maiko so I don't think a majority of them would feel anything wrong with it.

To somebody on the politically correct spectrum? Absolutely it would be.

Should you care? I don't know...I tend to think that intent matters...dressing up as a Geisha because you love the look and/or culture is different (to me at least) than dressing up as "slutty Geisha" for Halloween where intent is clearly mockery...

To somebody on the politically correct spectrum? Absolutely it would be.

Should you care? I don't know...I tend to think that intent matters...dressing up as a Geisha because you love the look and/or culture is different (to me at least) than dressing up as "slutty Geisha" for Halloween where intent is clearly mockery...

I am truly fascinated by Japanese culture, but to keep things relevant - the geisha/maiko aspect is very intriguing. Part of their culture involves the laborious task of getting ready and I feel like an experience like this where I can go through this routine would be very educational.

Oh yeah, "slutty Geisha" costumes where it becomes a gimmick or accessory is really frivolous and disrespectful. I roll my eyes to the back of my head when I see the same thing for Chinese cheongsams.

If I go to Japan, and do the incredibly touristy thing where I dress up as a geisha/maiko and take photos of myself all decked out with hair and makeup - is this considered cultural appropriation?

I am obviously NOT Japanese, this isn't my culture. But I *reeeeaaalllllyyyy* want to do this. Before I do, I would like to know if by doing so it would be considered to be appropriating culture.

Please help!! I tried searching for several articles about "cultural appropriation vs cultural appreciation" but couldn't find anything Japan-focused. Mostly about black POC issues like hair(dreadlocks)

Just do it!

While I don't agree with this article, it is well written from the other perspective.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/

And according to it if you are "invited to take part" (ie go to a Geisha costuming business) and it's done respectfully, then you're fine.

The problem with the articles I found was that it was pretty obvious that they were directing their message to white people in particular. It's a bit tricky for a mixed Asian person. Read the one you just linked too!

Generally Japanese people are just taking the first baby steps in their way to becoming Politically Correct and getting offended by everything so I don't think nobody will care either way.

I say do what you want and don't care about the rest.
And by the way if you want a photograph I can introduce to a girl I know who does this kind of photos. She's very nice and open minded, you'll probably feel more at ease with her than with a male photograph for what ever photo you need.

I say do what you want and don't care about the rest.
And by the way if you want a photograph I can introduce to a girl I know who does this kind of photos. She's very nice and open minded, you'll probably feel more at ease with her than with a male photograph for what ever photo you need.

Oh this is definitely not for work. This is purely personal! :) Thank you for offering your help, really appreciate it.

Honestly we expect now in tourists spots to see more foreigners dressed as traditional Japanese (males too sometimes) than Japanese themselves. Nobody pay much attention anymore. I don't think it suits the western ladies well though, to be honest, but that's just my taste and you're not western anyway. It's good for local costumes-rental businesses, and they are operated by Japanese people so if it was such a cultural no-no they would probably not do it.

Reactions: Rebeccalee
Is driving a cart around the streets of Tokyo dressed as a Nintendo character considered cultural appropriation?
Mario is prob as much a part of contemporary culture as a Kimono wearing woman is part of traditional culture.

In either case, unless you are disrespecting it, I doubt any one in Japan gives a damn.

In all honesty, most Japanese people are quite pleased when foreign visitors take an interest like this. I've never seen anyone get chewed out or even a sideways glance - though once an older lady was a bit aghast that a lady in our group was wearing the wrong type of shoes (zori that were meant for kimono) with her yukata, and promptly dragged her into a store and bought her the correct ones (more casual geta) as a present.

Doesn't mean anything negative or positive. Just do it if you want. It's easy to arrange. Ask any city hotel. The biggest risk is to look a bit ridiculous. Some Western women are just not made for kimono. Size is one thing, but also body motion. Japanese girls learn the kimono trot from a young age. That said, there are a couple of professionally trained Western geisha today - one is an Australian woman.

Last edited:
Honestly we expect now in tourists spots to see more foreigners dressed as traditional Japanese (males too sometimes) than Japanese themselves. Nobody pay much attention anymore. I don't think it suits the western ladies well though, to be honest, but that's just my taste and you're not western anyway. It's good for local costumes-rental businesses, and they are operated by Japanese people so if it was such a cultural no-no they would probably not do it.

That's true....... My friend had the geisha makeover and it took me a little longer to get used to the look on her (she's italian)

In all honesty, most Japanese people are quite pleased when foreign visitors take an interest like this. I've never seen anyone get chewed out or even a sideways glance - though once an older lady was a bit aghast that a lady in our group was wearing the wrong type of shoes (zori that were meant for kimono) with her yukata, and promptly dragged her into a store and bought her the correct ones (more casual geta) as a present.

That's such a cute story! Ok, phew. Good to know that the Japanese people themselves are happy when foreigners are also interested. :D

Reactions: Sudsy
is this considered cultural appropriation?

Is it cultural appropriation when the Japanese wear western suits or jeans?

The problem with the articles I found was that it was pretty obvious that they were directing their message to white people in particular. It's a bit tricky for a mixed Asian person.

SJWs will be happy to dictate their white people's crazy to Asians of any variety. Remember the Boston Museum kimono exhibit nonsense? White people and Asian Americans of non-Japanese descent trying to tell people what is not acceptable when actual Japanese people and Japanese Americans were fine with the exhibit.

The whole SJW concept of cultural appropriation always goes too far.

Generally Japanese people are just taking the first baby steps in their way to becoming Politically Correct and getting offended by everything

God willing Japan will never contract this particular mental illness.

Reactions: Muku1