Is typhoon Hagibis going to destroy my apartment and kill me?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so it looks like a record breaking typhoon is headed directly toward Shizuoka City. I don't live right next to the beach, but I live about 10 minutes away by bike.

I know that there was a huge typhoon in 1958 that killed about 1,200 people, but I assume one of the big reasons is because back then the housing structures were not really built to withstand such a powerful storm...but will we be alright?

I know a tsunami will most likely not be so large as to hit our apartment and there is a flood tower really close to our apartment that us and the neighbors can climb up in case of a big flood. We taped up all the big windows in that asterisk style design to help protect them from possible flying projectiles from the strong winds.

The storm isn't even supposed to arrive until tomorrow afternoon, but the winds and the rains already seem a little strong...so tomorrow it will probably be super powerful.

I guess all the trains and buses will completely stop running starting from tomorrow morning, which sucks because I felt like I should have taken a train to another prefecture more toward the south or west of Japan...maybe even as far south as Kansai.

Am I worrying too much? The chances of this huge typhoon killing me is really low if I don't leave my apartment yes?

It is a new, western style apartment with strong, thick glass windows that you can seal, a hard wood floor and strong, thick walls as well. My roommate assures me that we will be alright and that a lot of department stores and convenient stores will still be open for business tomorrow, even when the typhoon is upon the city.

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and if any of you live near the ocean and have experienced a huge typhoon?

Here is a link: https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...kyo-Shirahama-Ohama-Beach-rugby-latest-update

190 mile an hour winds are strong enough to blow an entire apartment building over aren't they?

Last edited:
Ok, so it looks like a record breaking typhoon is headed directly toward Shizuoka City. I don't live right next to the beach, but I live about 10 minutes away by bike.

I know that there was a huge typhoon in 1958 that killed about 1,200 people, but I assume one of the big reasons is because back then the housing structures were not really built to withstand such a powerful storm...but will we be alright?

I know a tsunami will most likely not be so large as to hit our apartment and there is a flood tower really close to our apartment that us and the neighbors can climb up in case of a big flood. We taped up all the big windows in that asterisk style design to help protect them from possible flying projectiles from the strong winds.

The storm isn't even supposed to arrive until tomorrow afternoon, but the winds and the rains already seem a little strong...so tomorrow it will probably be super powerful.

I guess all the trains and buses will completely stop running starting from tomorrow morning, which sucks because I felt like I should have taken a train to another prefecture more toward the south or west of Japan...maybe even as far south as Kansai.

Am I worrying too much? The chances of this huge typhoon killing me is really low if I don't leave my apartment yes?

It is a new, western style apartment with strong, thick glass windows that you can seal, a hard wood floor and strong, thick walls as well. My roommate assures me that we will be alright and that a lot of department stores and convenient stores will still be open for business tomorrow, even when the typhoon is upon the city.

Anyway, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and if any of you live near the ocean and have experienced a huge typhoon?

Here is a link: https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...kyo-Shirahama-Ohama-Beach-rugby-latest-update

190 mile an hour winds are strong enough to blow an entire apartment building over aren't they?

The English version of the Japan Meteorological Agency website might help a bit:

jma.go.jp

Can't give you definitive advice. The Grim Reaper is definitely riding Hagibis. Who is he coming for? Not sure. It could be you, maybe your ex-mother-in-law, or maybe me. Stare him down with courage, pride and dignity. Good luck. ( (BTW death will affect you PR status).

Come on TJB, and no I’m not trying to be evil , but honestly you were parodying yourself with that thread’s title , right?
I found it hilarious... but all my apologies if you meant it seriously
Don’t worry, based on what you wrote about the apartment it should be just ... a breeze :)
Take care

Can't give you definitive advice. The Grim Reaper is definitely riding Hagibis. Who is he coming for? Not sure. It could be you, maybe your ex-mother-in-law, or maybe me. Stare him down with courage, pride and dignity. Good luck. ( (BTW death will affect you PR status).

I'm practicing now...how is this?

the-stare-down-for-the-last-slice-of-pineapple-pizza-62594169.png

Ok, so I successfully stood on top of my apartment rooftop and stared down the super typhoon. Little did the super typhoon (more like buffoon) didn't realize is that I'm a super Saiyan, that I practiced my stare downs and I have seen the movie: The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Now the buffoon typhoon is on its way toward you guys up in Tokyo...but you already know what to do. ;)

Ok, so I successfully stood on top of my apartment rooftop and stared down the super typhoon. Little did the super typhoon (more like buffoon) didn't realize is that I'm a super Saiyan, that I practiced my stare downs and I have seen the movie: The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Now the buffoon typhoon is on its way toward you guys up in Tokyo...but you already know what to do. ;)

Congratulations. Your a survivor. Look in the mirror this morning and shout loud and proud, "I am a survivor". Three times for good measure. Then get to work on removing all those taped asterisks on your windows. Nail polish remover from Daiso works on the sticky bits.

YOU. ARE. A. SURVIVOR..

(Gloria Gaynor bgm fades out....)

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Congratulations. Your a survivor. Look in the mirror this morning and shout loud and proud, "I am a survivor". Three times for good measure. Then get to work on removing all those taped asterisks on your windows. Nail polish remover from Daiso works on the sticky bits.

YOU. ARE. A. SURVIVOR..

(Gloria Gaynor bgm fades out....)

Gloria Gaynor? Why?
Its a Destiny’s Child song , right?

Reactions: namae
You know I'm not gon' dis you on the internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that!

P.S. Strap on protection.

(y)
Wise decision. Cause my momma taught me worse than that ! :D
(Not the strap-on thing though, that I take sole responsibility)

Reactions: MikeH