Guest viewing is limited

January or Springtime?

Pansexual latina

TAG Member
Reaction score
I am visiting next year[Tokyo], and I am torn between visiting during an event in January which may help me find like minded individuals to link up with OR saying fuck that noise because the weather will be crappy and I should visit during spring. Keep in mind, I am used to subtropical weather and high humidity. Help? Opinions? :0

I happen to like Tokyo in January - Dry, blue skies, daytime temperatures generally above freezing I would not call it crappy - but you might feel the cold. Later in the year is warmer, but as the seasons change, it can get windy and wet. Of course, the weather varies from year to year so nothing is certain.

Reactions: impish
I agree with @chaztagster typically the temp during the day isn't so bad in January. Nights usually hover just above freezing. It's February when the cold normally starts to hit the point where I want nothing to do with it.

Do you have a winter jacket? Does cold appeal to you? What about Tokyo or Japan interests you in terms of activities/sights?

If you are used to 30 degrees and don't normally travel in winter (or care about things like seeing the Nagano snow monkeys or giant snow drifts in the snow belt) then I'd stick to spring...am sure Tokyo is less crowded in Jan but there isn't a big cost savings (i.e hotel prices don't dip much in off season)...I guess it depends on what you are interested in...Fuji would likely be more visible...but you also can't really climb it in Jan (you can but, as I understand it, a lot of the support stations to get food and such are closed in winter)...temples will be quieter but it will get dark sooner...

And maybe none of that matters...my hot blooded friend freezes to death under 20 degrees C lol...there is no sight imaginable that could convince her to deal with actual winter...I think we'd need more info to really provide an answer.

And maybe none of that matters...my hot blooded friend freezes to death under 20 degrees C lol...there is no sight imaginable that could convince her to deal with actual winter...I think we'd need more info to really provide an answer.
I am probably like your friend, I mean I wont die but winter isn't exactly my thing as I live in Southern United States, we dont have winter. 2 weeks at best

Sure but what are his interests? My trip, for example, has the Nagano snow monkeys, the atomic dome, Miyajima island, a dozen temples and shrines, lots of street photography...pretty much every day for me is majority outside....but I am from a cold place so Japan will actually be warmer than where I am leaving...so it works...

I think we'd have to know, besides mongering, what if anything you are interested in doing...if you want to visit Sensoji temple and ten minutes outside at five degrees will make you want to kill yourself, then Jan prob doesn't make sense.

Sure but what are his interests?
Her* Interests include fashion, temples, themed cafes(I really wanna go to the owl one), video games, akihabara because i grew up on weeb shit, anything to help me truly experience the culture sure ill do some site seeing i also wanna see what the nightlife is like aaaand I am a foodie. So everything lol.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Sorry...notorious skimmer...I apologize.

Do you own a winter jacket? Are you ok with the idea of leaving a nightlife spot and it being zero degrees? How important is maybe catching the cherry blossoms? (spring) Does going to sumo interest you (tournament is last two weeks of Jan)

I happen to like Tokyo in January - Dry, blue skies, daytime temperatures generally above freezing I would not call it crappy - but you might feel the cold. Later in the year is warmer, but as the seasons change, it can get windy and wet. Of course, the weather varies from year to year so nothing is certain.

Consider sakura

While the temperature during January isn't so bad and almost always sunny, the air is extremely dry! If that's an issue for you, slather your skin in coconut oil or so haha and make sure your room has an air humidifier.
I tend to live spring here. It's warm but not too warm or too cold. The cherry trees are blooming :love: (downside is allergy....)

As the posters mentioned here...depends on what you want to do and preference to the weather...at least you know it won't be freezing..

I would vote for Spring time, because I prefer that weather and being in shorts.. I was extremely lucky that I came in Sakura and I found myself chasing the popular cherry blossom viewing places all over the city as well finding beautiful., but random places.. While I don't think you can time in perfectly, late march/early april should give you some good viewing...

Plus don't discount the fact that you will have more daylight...

... And on the flipside, I don't find tokyo to be particularly attractive in the daytime. More nighttime is better imo.

Anyway, I am curious how much time you have. In tokyo the seasons may not matter much, but in other places they do.

I'm planning to stay long term in Japan and I will certainly travel away in January
I was raised in a warm country, I can't stand temperatures under 10°

I hate to muddy things further, but january is dry season. Personally, as a tourist, rain is a bummer, especially a cool rain that you might get in the spring.

Also, we tend to think of spring as cherry blossom season. But if you mean May, things have warmed up nicely by then.

Depends where you are staying. If in someone's house then it can be cold inside in January. If in a hotel then I would say it doesn't matter.

Full disclosure: winter in Tokyo (outside) is spring for me. The motto from my old country is Winter Is Coming.

Yeah since I am a very warm climate kind of girl I am definitely leaning more towards spring, maybe i can catch a festival or something. I also wouldn't mind wearing shorts or a dress or something. (I say that but i basically wear leggings a ton, which i heard is a No No there.)

Her* Interests include fashion, temples, themed cafes(I really wanna go to the owl one), video games, akihabara because i grew up on weeb shit, anything to help me truly experience the culture sure ill do some site seeing i also wanna see what the nightlife is like aaaand I am a foodie. So everything lol.
In case of fashion, i prefer spring.
I'm from a cold country and we tend to put on jeans and hide in coats whenever temperatures drop to a certain level.

Spring and fall are ideal for wearing cute dresses in Japan. I love the bright sun here.

Owl cafe is great, by the way.

It doesn't snow every year in January but there is always a risk. Heavy January snow has caused issues over the years with the transport system etc... Spring is much less risky weather wise.

Reactions: Anna Summer
Spring. Heck if you like snow you can even go to ski until late April anyway

January in Tokyo isn't too bad. I found it to be pleasant for the most part but a little in the cold side. You would need warm clothing and to plan for the weather. This year I think I remember it rained a little and snowed a bit once. Transportation can get affected and not all attractions may enjoyable at that time of the year, depending on what it is.

Reactions: edson11