Guest viewing is limited

January or Springtime?

The buildings channel the wind in strange ways, so one district can feel a lot colder than another from the wind-chill. I always found Akihabara to be pretty chilly when there's a breeze.

But the humidity stops it from being truly chilling, especially if you're from a country with dry winters. I got lots of strange looks for not wearing scarves and thick jackets when it gets below ten.

Although I'm fairly strong against the cold. I once had no money for the doctor and had a pretty bad fever, so I slept naked with the window open in February. My fever broke but the thermometer showed I was about 1 degree away from hypothermia, but I felt fine. Eventually I got some cash from a friend and turns out I had bronchitis.

Reactions: MikeH and Kaspar
Question for everybody: how cold does Tokyo get in winter?

The average daily temperature in January is +5C. In the coldest and loneliest times it can get a crippling -5C in the middle of the night. Oh the terror!

Yeah, when I was just a tad boy we used to call it spring if it hit -5C at midday :p

The average daily temperature in January is +5C. In the coldest and loneliest times it can get a crippling -5C in the middle of the night. Oh the terror!

You laugh, but if you didn't grow up in a place with winter -5 feels like death. I have a friend who grew up in Qatar and she literally wears a sweater if it's below 20C and whines likes she is in a freezer...she looked at me in horror when I told her that I will drive with the windows down at 0C because I like the cold...for me, -5 is a joke...for her, she would probably curl up and die lol

Reactions: MikeH

Yeah, when I was just a tad boy we used to call it spring if it hit -5C at midday :p
You laugh, but if you didn't grow up in a place with winter -5 feels like death. I have a friend who grew up in Qatar and she literally wears a sweater if it's below 20C and whines likes she is in a freezer...she looked at me in horror when I told her that I will drive with the windows down at 0C because I like the cold...for me, -5 is a joke...for her, she would probably curl up and die lol
I'm from a place thats on the cold side, but i still hate Japanese winter as well. I don't understand how Japanese women can wear skirts the whole year around, no thank you!
Jeans and big coats it is for me.

As an aside, Japan has a super weird housing thing that may be partly to blame...houses are built cheaply and terribly and so the kind of heating/insulation systems you would find in a home in Buffalo, NY don't seem to exist in Japan...so, I'd tend to believe that a kind of damp cold would seep into your bones more in a place where you are never super warm in winter than in say the aforementioned Buffalo where every department store or house is like 75 degrees...I wear shorts year round in my home...

Reactions: SugoiBoy and MikeH
You laugh, but if you didn't grow up in a place with winter -5 feels like death.

In reality I would probably die myself if I had to live in Qatar. After all this time in Tokyo I have given up the notion that I would someday be able to adjust to the heat.

But then spending a week in a tent in a middle of nowhere in -30C is my idea of a great holiday :p. Though once I admitted it was cold. I was in my 20's and fell to sleep in a concrete ramp with no blankets or anything. It was around -25C and I slept over an hour. When I woke up all my clothes were frozen stiff :eek::ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Agreed...I could never go that hot...I would choose -5 over 35 any day of the week.

I'm from a place thats on the cold side, but i still hate Japanese winter as well. I don't understand how Japanese women can wear skirts the whole year around, no thank you!
Jeans and big coats it is for me.

If you go around Harajuku and Shibuya (or anywhere really), you're going to see tons of girls in skirts and short coats freezing their butts off. I have no complaints about this as I like the view.

When I asked a friend that lives in Tokyo about it, her response: "that's fashion."

I spent my last two years in a tropical city in the South of China with long and dry hot summers stretching from March to December (and very short Winters where temperature doesn't get any lower than 10) and thermometers stuck on 35 at the lowest... Will I survive?

Last edited:
I spent last two years in a tropical city in the South of China with long and dry hot summers stretching from March to December (and very short Winters where temperature doesn't get any lower than 10) and thermometers stuck on 35 at the lowest... Will I survive?

Not without some gfe cuddling in the winter.

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH